Please delete.

GoneViral

Revenge travel is a stupid name but I think the concept is sound, it’s not so much that people are traveling more often, they’re just all going at the same time and to the same places rather than being spread out.

For example, say there’s 3 families that normally go for a week once every couple years, pre-Covid they ended up spread out so 1 family went per year over a 3 year period, family A missed 2020 so they are going this year, family B missed 2021 so they are going this year, family C would normally go this year so they’re going this year also. No one’s going more often than normal but because A and B have changed their schedule it’s 3 times the normal demand.

The other big factor is it’s still harder to travel outside the US. We used to rotate between WDW and Europe every other year, with Europe so difficult we’ve been to WDW in 2019, 2020, 2021, and we have another trip planned for Jan 2023. We haven’t travelled more (less actually) but with our other destinations so hard to get to we’ve spent twice as much time at WDW as normal.

I don’t think this will last long but 2022 and 2023 will probably see more demand than they’d have seen without Covid.
So, I agree with you that the phenomenon exists across tourism. It just doesn't apply to Disney.

The best analogy is the Denver Broncos. They've sold out every home game since 1970. The pandemic won't help them sell any extra football tickets. They're already at max. All they can do is increase ticket prices, which they did for 2022.

It's the same with Disney. If anything, Disney would prefer lower attendance with higher-paying customers, which explains their recent business decisions. Disney isn't seeing any weird bump right now, merely sustained attendance just as it was before the pandemic. Will they sustain that? Recent history suggests yes.

Tom P.

IMHO, the general Covid thread, and pretty much all Covid discussion, have been the death of this place. I'm not criticizing the mods. No one could have known how things would go over the past two years. But the Covid discussions have completely torn this community apart. You can even see it in this very thread.

In retrospect, there should have been absolutely no discussion of Covid at all save for those things *directly* related to the parks, such as when a park would reopen and with what restrictions. Anything else should have been saved for elsewhere. This is a Disney fan forum and even in the midst of a once-in-a-century pandemic, it should have been a respite from Covid, not a place to discuss and debate it ad nauseam.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the damage is done. I'm not sure that the sense of community that once existed here can ever be recovered. And that's sad.

Jrb1979

IMHO, the general Covid thread, and pretty much all Covid discussion, have been the death of this place. I'm not criticizing the mods. No one could have known how things would go over the past two years. But the Covid discussions have completely torn this community apart. You can even see it in this very thread.

In retrospect, there should have been absolutely no discussion of Covid at all save for those things *directly* related to the parks, such as when a park would reopen and with what restrictions. Anything else should have been saved for elsewhere. This is a Disney fan forum and even in the midst of a once-in-a-century pandemic, it should have been a respite from Covid, not a place to discuss and debate it ad nauseam.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the damage is done. I'm not sure that the sense of community that once existed here can ever be recovered. And that's sad.
Agree with what you posted. It's a shame how much damage politics has done the last few years. I'm sure it partly is why some people have left.

yensidtlaw1969

In fact, the one problem Disney never expected was too many sales of Disney Genie+. When your business has a problem like that, you're acing the test.
Not exactly.

The revisions coming to Genie+ are built entirely on the back of the damage it's currently doing to the resort's reputation.

Yes, guests are willing to spend the money upfront for the offering. But when their trip ends and they say it was both a headache to navigate and a massive waste of money, and then they go home and tell their friends, family, and the internet that it's a big part of why they won't be going back, you're not acing the test. And Disney is fully aware of this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, I agree with you that the phenomenon exists across tourism. It just doesn't apply to Disney.

The best analogy is the Denver Broncos. They've sold out every home game since 1970. The pandemic won't help them sell any extra football tickets. They're already at max. All they can do is increase ticket prices, which they did for 2022.

It's the same with Disney. If anything, Disney would prefer lower attendance with higher-paying customers, which explains their recent business decisions. Disney isn't seeing any weird bump right now, merely sustained attendance just as it was before the pandemic. Will they sustain that? Recent history suggests yes.
Nope

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s just been indicative of the greater population

And it’s fairly immature to want an “escape” from the most far reaching world event since WW2. We don’t have to tear each other apart…but it just never was gonna register properly for adults fo ignore it and talk about parks and “magic” like twits as if there was no impact.

I think a lot if not most of that was the incompetent management of TWDC…and I’m not talking 2 years…

They have been badly run - in totality - for 10 years…long before covid. But people only focus on the stock and box office from the MCU…not the constant missteps as they moved away from a lot of the things that set them apart…particularly in Orlando.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not exactly.

The revisions coming to Genie+ are built entirely on the back of the damage it's currently doing to the resort's reputation.

Yes, guests are willing to spend the money upfront for the offering. But when their trip ends and they say it was both a headache to navigate and a massive waste of money, and then they go home and tell their friends, family, and the internet that it's a big part of why they won't be going back, you're not acing the test. And Disney is fully aware of this.
Genie isn’t working because the numbers never said it would. Iger wasted time on half hearted attempts to build for the future and control the crowd and none were big enough. That’s the key difference between he and his predecessor…who built bigger than what they had needed that day that things opened to pursue “growth”.

If they ever truly wanted “reduced attendance” - which lets face it…they didn’t - it was only to bail themselves out of the scenario that is happening right now. They needed more in ever park built 10 years ago. Adds…not redos with lower capacity. Look at your own attendance trends….it was NEVER gonna work.

Lilofan

Lower attendance high paying customers, looks like Discovery Cove by Sea World Orlando started that trend almost 20 years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lower attendance high paying customers, looks like Discovery Cove by Sea World Orlando started that trend almost 20 years ago.
Have you been to discovery cove?

Because Disney parks were not built, operated nor could survive on that model.

DP were constructed specifically to move masses. Discover cove was built specifically as the opposite.

Now Disney tinkered with something similar for along time.

What they ended up building is a fairly useless IP forcing joke - barring changes which will come.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The test of “what model still works?” Is under construction now just off I-4 to the north…

That is the first “mass” build in the Orlando market since DAK. The question is how far is Comcast gonna go to build it out and be flexible/fully functioning?

Or will they get squeamish as the costs rise as Eisner was forced to 96-98…which make no mistake created a lot of the crush problems in wdw we talk about here everyday?

Lilofan

Have you been to discovery cove?

Because Disney parks were not built, operated nor could survive on that model.

DP were constructed specifically to move masses. Discover cove was built specifically as the opposite.

Now Disney tinkered with something similar for along time.

What they ended up building is a fairly useless IP forcing joke - barring changes which will come
Friends have but I wouldn't pay those DC prices. Changes may come in the pricing structure post Chapek era when the next CEO come in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Friends have but I wouldn't pay those DC prices. Changes may come in the pricing structure post Chapek era when the next CEO come in.
What is your idea on how that would go?

I know you’re not gonna say “they’ll charge $300 a day to limit attendance…because it’s luxury, now…”

…right?

Lilofan

Covid has affected many families , their lives, their lifestyle, ability to handle stress and their mindset even in general discussions, and I'm sure some may add how has covid turned their life upside down at times. Count me in this group. What I saw in hospitals just as an example , in the last two years blew my mind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If its $300 per day , better include all u can drink and eat to dull the mind from sticker shock.
My point is that’s been an excuse by the Royal guard for 5+ years as it became clear the daily capacity in the parks fell behind and there was no way to manage it. A convenient excuse for the Bobs. But it’s simple numbers.

But Disney parks aren’t built for that scenario…they are designed to cast/draw a wide net to get the characters out in houses all over the world. If they “reduce” attendance…the park revenues will decline and it will infect the whole company as parks account for 45ish % of the revenues.

Can’t do it unless your a yutz just looking to cash out and sink the ship. And don’t look now…but we got one

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Covid has affected many families , their lives, their lifestyle, ability to handle stress and their mindset even in general discussions, and I'm sure some may add how has covid turned their life upside down at times. Count me in this group. What I saw in hospitals just as an example , in the last two years blew my mind.
Agreed…we didn’t handle the discussion properly here - as humans tend not to do - but I can’t apologize for not downplaying it…

What else was appropriate? More trip reports?🙄

No…because a lot that do them were on the covid threads pitching fits that covid precautions were ruining their trips!

Last edited:

cheezbat

So, 200+ posts in 9 days on how nobody posts anymore…
Go figure huh lol

I’ve been far less active on here thanks to not only a lot of the negativity and political talk, but also because one of my favorite things to read about was news and rumors….and right now doesn’t seem like there’s much in the news or rumors for WDW in the near future. We had so many insiders with great info…and lately it’s been crickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom