Please delete.

Weather_Lady

It's just the same thing over and over again and gets old. Plus there are a lot of lawyers, virologists, political masterminds and know it alls on these sites too that turn people off.
As an actual lawyer... 🤣
im-hurt-and-offended-and-hurt-memegenerator-net-im-hurt-and-48935197.png

EricsBiscuit

This is encouraging to read, we are DL regulars and our first couple trips after the introduction of Genie+ were horrible, everyone was buying Genie+ so it resulted in 45 minute Genie+ lines and 2 hour standby lines, now that seems to have sorted itself out and with fewer buying it the Genie+ lines are 5-10 minutes with the standbys back to an hour. It’s amazing how fewer people buying it benefits everyone.

We have our first Genie+ WDW trip booked for this winter and didn’t know what to expect, the horrible experience when it’s oversold or the good experience when it’s used by fewer people.
I think they’re also limiting the amount of people who can buy it.

GoneViral

1) never was it long time loyal fan displaying anger about the way THEY have been treated.

2) this company has pushed out so many previously loyal fans by deciding that they should vacuum every possible cent from guests

3) So it all boils down to the fact that if one thinks that it is worth the massive expenditure to attend a theme park in a time of so much uncertainty
1) OF COURSE it was. That's the whole point. It's the most cyclical behavior imaginable among Disney fans.
2) Just like the complaints in the 1990s about cutting corners at Animal Kingdom (Beastly Kingdom) and Disney Calfornia Adventure. And this instance is more understandable given that Disney just took the brunt of the pandemic. The company added $71 billion in costs for Fox and then earned less revenue in 2020. Any business must react to such circumstances. The budget cuts in the 1990s were self-inflicted wounds from Euro Disney.
3) And given 2022 attendance, Disney consumers are fine with it. In fact, the one problem Disney never expected was too many sales of Disney Genie+. When your business has a problem like that, you're acing the test.

Goofyernmost

1) OF COURSE it was. That's the whole point. It's the most cyclical behavior imaginable among Disney fans.
2) Just like the complaints in the 1990s about cutting corners at Animal Kingdom (Beastly Kingdom) and Disney Calfornia Adventure. And this instance is more understandable given that Disney just took the brunt of the pandemic. The company added $71 billion in costs for Fox and then earned less revenue in 2020. Any business must react to such circumstances. The budget cuts in the 1990s were self-inflicted wounds from Euro Disney.
3) And given 2022 attendance, Disney consumers are fine with it. In fact, the one problem Disney never expected was too many sales of Disney Genie+. When your business has a problem like that, you're acing the test.
Sorry, but it was about the system, maintenance or management decisions like I said. The current set of changes is personal and affects and even alters the enjoyment quotient. This hits us all where it really hurts, our wallets. The other things just affected our enjoyment, not our ability to pay or unpredictable amount needed to enjoy the place we already paid to get into. They maybe acing that test, but not without the help of Marketing spin and revenge spending. Regardless, it doesn't matter to me anymore because the priced me out and disillusioned me to the extent that I might never be able to enjoy a place again that I loved for so many years.

danyoung56

I miss the days of rec.arts.disney.parks ("RADP") on the Usenet. I like forums, and have no interest in TikTok, Twitter, Instagram...
Ahhh, those were the days. There were programs to download your messages or selected threads, you wrote your responses offline, and then went online to upload them. Loved RADP!

GoneViral

Sorry, but it was about the system, maintenance or management decisions like I said. The current set of changes is personal and affects and even alters the enjoyment quotient. This hits us all where it really hurts, our wallets. The other things just affected our enjoyment, not our ability to pay or unpredictable amount needed to enjoy the place we already paid to get into. They maybe acing that test, but not without the help of Marketing spin and revenge spending. Regardless, it doesn't matter to me anymore because the priced me out and disillusioned me to the extent that I might never be able to enjoy a place again that I loved for so many years.
Revenge spending isn't even a thing. Disney's attendance was at record levels in January of 2020 before the pandemic. There's a simple point here. People want to go to Disney. They don't care about the things that you're describing as dealbreakers. That's why there's just no data out there to support any of your conclusions.

The primary thing that could cause Disney attendance to decline right now is a recession. Otherwise, the parks will continue to increase in revenue because customers perceive them as terrific value. If you don't, that's your right, but the new paradigm at Disney is working fine for the average consumer. The Disney Genie+ sales alone are proof-positive of that.

What you're doing right now is confusing your own feelings as something that most people deem a consensus. Those lines at Cosmic Rewind tomorrow will tell the story here, and they won't support your beliefs.

Lilofan

Revenge spending isn't even a thing. Disney's attendance was at record levels in January of 2020 before the pandemic. There's a simple point here. People want to go to Disney. They don't care about the things that you're describing as dealbreakers. That's why there's just no data out there to support any of your conclusions.

The primary thing that could cause Disney attendance to decline right now is a recession. Otherwise, the parks will continue to increase in revenue because customers perceive them as terrific value. If you don't, that's your right, but the new paradigm at Disney is working fine for the average consumer. The Disney Genie+ sales alone are proof-positive of that.

What you're doing right now is confusing your own feelings as something that most people deem a consensus. Those lines at Cosmic Rewind tomorrow will tell the story here, and they won't support your beliefs.
October 26,2021 Epcot Candlelight dinner/show packages went on sale at 6am. At 630am all packages were sold out. The demand is there.

Jrb1979

Revenge travel is thing. It's happening every where. Many people are making up for missed vacations over the last 2 years. At the same time GP also don't know any better. It's not just Disney. It's all amusement parks. GP aren't the brightest minds out there.

I do agree the recession will cause a down turn. It's going to hurt the travel industry big.

GoneViral

Revenge travel is thing. It's not just Disney.
Right. That's my point. Disney was doing great right up until the pandemic started. And it's doing roughly the same now. So, whatever media term they've coined for people wanting to go on vacation again doesn't apply here. Nothing happening at Disney is different from early 2020. People just want to go to the parks.

Jrb1979

Right. That's my point. Disney was doing great right up until the pandemic started. And it's doing roughly the same now. So, whatever media term they've coined for people wanting to go on vacation again doesn't apply here. Nothing happening at Disney is different from early 2020. People just want to go to the parks.
It does apply here cause a lot of the reason the parks a full is due peoples cancelled trips.

GoneViral

It does apply here cause a lot of the reason the parks a full is due peoples cancelled trips.
I fundamentally disagree. Disney was setting record attendance numbers until the day the pandemic started. The moment the parks reopened, they maxed out on eligible attendance. Now that the pandemic has waned, they're selling out all the capacity Disney parks can offer. The causality here isn't any sort of media term. It's seemingly unlimited demand for Disney theme parks.

Goofyernmost

I never said that they were deal breakers for everyone. I said they are deal breakers for ME. I just prefer to not be fleeced when I go to a theme park. Honest prices are still to high, but Disney has taken it over the top. The sale for genie will continue to sell until everyone figures out what they don't get for their money. I also have said over and over that it is going to take time for it all to manifest itself. Disney Parks built a reputation for high quality and a place for everyone to do fun things with their children at a reasonable cost for the past 60 years. People are not going to change overnight.

Word of mouth is not as cheery as you think it is. Word of mouth is what gave Disney that good reputation to begin with. It can go sour quickly. It may not, but it could.

Cosmic Rewind probably will be busy as all new attractions are on opening day. Tomorrow means nothing to the overall success of the project. Especially if it does take off and no one goes to anything else in Epcot. I don't see where coaster lovers will be drawn to World Showcase or anything other than test track or Mission: Space (orange).

In the future I would respectfully request that you stop trying to imply that I am stupid. I post things that I feel and try to explain why I feel that way about them. I am neither a psychic nor an insider. I just call them as I see them it is your job to determine what you believe to be true. However, unless you are a time traveler you are no more able to see into the future than I am. You might be right or I might be right. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Revenge travel is thing. It's happening every where. Many people are making up for missed vacations over the last 2 years.
Isn't that just people going on vacation like they used to before a worldwide pandemic?

I've yet to see statistics showing that somehow that people are taking *more* or *longer* vacations now as... what? Revenge against COVID?

Has anyone here gone twice as often, or twice as long, or spent twice as much to take revenge over two years without a vacation? Or did y'all just resume the regular vacation schedule?

GoneViral

I never said that they were deal breakers for everyone. I said they are deal breakers for ME. I just prefer to not be fleeced when I go to a theme park. Honest prices are still to high, but Disney has taken it over top. The sale for genie will continue to sell until everyone figures out what they don't get for their money. I also have said over and over that it is going to take time for it all to manifest itself. Disney Parks built a reputation for high quality and a place for everyone to do stuff with their children at a reasonable cost for the past 60 years. People are not going to change overnight.

Word of mouth is not as cheery as you think it is. Word of mouth is what gave Disney that good reputation to begin with. It can go sour quickly. It may not, but it could.

Cosmic Rewind probably will be busy as all new attractions are on opening day. Tomorrow means nothing to the overall success of the project. Especially if it does take off and no one goes to anything else in Epcot. I don't see where coaster lovers will be drawn to World Showcase or anything other than test track or Mission: Space (orange).

3) In the future I would respectfully request that you stop trying to imply that I am stupid.
1) The point is more along the lines of these things are always cyclical. Honestly, I don't know you or anyone else here. So, I find individual opinions fascinating, but I rely on data points to determine objective truths.
Objectively, Disney is doing comically well, all things considered. You may feel that the magic is missing. If so, I genuinely regret that on your behalf.
Personally, I'm frustrated that my Disney countdown clock is still in triple digits. I wish I were there right now, and I'm someone who has been going since the 1980s.
2) The facts support that word of mouth isn't hurting Disney's business in the least. If it were, crowds wouldn't be near historic levels even as Disney tries to keep them under control. Why does Disney do that? To protect the word of mouth you're so worried about. So, Disney has already moved proactively to address the concerns you're espousing.
3) I genuinely cannot help the way that you infer tone. You're saying the things that you believe, and I'm saying the things I believe. I'm also asking for facts that support the underlying premise that Disney is in trouble.

The irony in all of this is that OP claimed (inaccurately based on SEO data) that Disney fansites are dying as longtime users lose their passion. Here I am as a five-year member who was reading this board, albeit infrequently, years before that. And I'm posting in this thread because I believe the assertion was utter nonsense. I also feel strongly that Disney is doing great at the moment despite having the difficulty set to Nightmare Mode on this game.

Jrb1979

Isn't that just people going on vacation like they used to before a worldwide pandemic?

I've yet to see statistics showing that somehow that people are taking *more* or *longer* vacations now as... what? Revenge against COVID?

Has anyone here gone twice as often, or twice as long, or spent twice as much to take revenge over two years without a vacation? Or did y'all just resume the regular vacation schedule?
I agree that the term Revenge travel is a dumb phrase. I don't agree that people are just going on vacation like they used to before Covid. I do believe many are making up for lost vacations and cancelled trips. It's not just Disney that's seeing a bump in attendance. A lot parks are seeing it. I was just at Cedar Point last weekend and it was the busiest I have ever seen it for May.

Vegas Disney Fan

Revenge travel is a stupid name but I think the concept is sound, it’s not so much that people are traveling more often, they’re just all going at the same time and to the same places rather than being spread out.

For example, say there’s 3 families that normally go for a week once every couple years, pre-Covid they ended up spread out so 1 family went per year over a 3 year period, family A missed 2020 so they are going this year, family B missed 2021 so they are going this year, family C would normally go this year so they’re going this year also. No one’s going more often than normal but because A and B have changed their schedule it’s 3 times the normal demand.

The other big factor is it’s still harder to travel outside the US. We used to rotate between WDW and Europe every other year, with Europe so difficult we’ve been to WDW in 2019, 2020, 2021, and we have another trip planned for Jan 2023. We haven’t travelled more (less actually) but with our other destinations so hard to get to we’ve spent twice as much time at WDW as normal.

I don’t think this will last long but 2022 and 2023 will probably see more demand than they’d have seen without Covid.

GoneViral

I agree that the term Revenge travel is a dumb phrase. I don't agree that people are just going on vacation like they used to before Covid. I do believe many are making up for lost vacations and cancelled trips. It's not just Disney that's seeing a bump in attendance. A lot parks are seeing it. I was just at Cedar Point last weekend and it was the busiest I have ever seen it for May.
I ask again what "bump in attendance" you're referencing. Disney was setting attendance records before the pandemic, and it's at these levels now. So, how is status quo a bump? Because what we're seeing sure looks like more of the same of to me.

I'm jealous that you were at Cedar Point. We spent a lot of time there the years that Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom