Plastic Straws, Plastic Bags & More

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think I said $1 per refill. And yes, it should be at a profit. That’s the whole point of a company.

Exactly. I agree, it is about the profit. Disney is portraying this removing plastics as an environmental initiative. It isn't just straws they proudly outlined. Disposable cups and lids from guest rooms. An up-charge for a reusable bag. If you purchase as an example a $35 tshirt at the park you then have to purchase a reusable bag to put the purchase in or bring your own bags into the parks everyday on the chance you will purchase something? (bag check is long enough and beyond antiquated) Yet Passholders are given free plastic bags for their give aways. Take a sponsorship from Ziplock Bags. Disney can recycle Ziplocks but not their own store plastic bags. Really???? The initiative calls for no straws or lids in the future, lids gone already but not for Deluxe Guest resorts. (????) I can't explain that decision. Sunshine that is carpeted brought back the lids. This extends the profit margins of Soda purchases. So as you said profit. Me, I agree, my point, so not about the environment.

I live in Illinois. We receive free water by law at any table or quick service venue that has tables. Yes they are in the business of making a profit in Illinois but not on water. I have yet to see anywhere in Illinois or any other state, airport or any other private venue that has filtered drinking fountains/water refill combos that have as you suggest the need to pay a $1 to drink from or fill from. Just haven't seen this in any waterpark, zoo, museum or private malls. Nowhere have I seen pay for water beyond the commercial bottled versions.

My position of the hypocrisy stands, if Disney is really serious about the environment they would have filter water available at stations like they have installed in Flight of Passage. If they want the glory of protecting the Environment do something about the 13 million per year Disani water bottles they are selling at $3 a crack which is a massive profit margin and a far worse dump of plastic by volume than a straw or a plastic lid. Lids do not slip through water treatment plants like straws can. And it a real stretch to believe the straws of Orlando are finding their way to the Atlantic Ocean. A further stretch that the straws of Epcot, Studios or MK are finding their way into the few zoo spots in AK. Even the Tigers are protected from the guests. The monkeys are so far back from guests that they'd be hard pressed to throw a straw that far. But I do support the quality paper straw in AK on principle alone.

Still if Disney wants to lower the footprint of plastic start with the $3 water bottles they sell over 13 million per year of plus Coke, Power-aid, Minute Maid etc. Or just drop the environmental excuse and admit like you say they are in it for the profit. This doesn't cut both ways.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So here is another example. Profits over the environment. In April/May 2018 The first photo is of a smaller version of the Shortcake at Seasons. Less fresh strawberries, more frozen strawberries and lots of jelly, less whipped cream, less cake. Overall smaller serving size for $5. But that isn't the real story of the thread. In April of this year Disney a slice served this on a biodegradable paper plate. So Disney replaces the dessert at Seasons with a throw away plastic wine glass cup. These plastic shooter dessert cups have popped up in a good chunk of Disney Quick Service venues. So this too brings me to question Disney's proclaimed Environmental concerns with plastics.

The cup with the top is purely coincidental as Disney had yet to bring its war on cup lids on property but Seasons was one of the only non Deluxe quick services venues we found with lids for guests.

Late April 2018
A50B6A45-634F-4333-89C3-57A0DCF62D38.jpeg

Early April 2018
B21BB434-2241-4EBC-A5B7-3EF521FC5366.jpeg

HoneyBee1991

I honestly don't mind the lack of straws and lids. We usually bring a bottle of water in our park backpacks. We only buy take away cups for quick service meals or specialty drinks. You can buy reusable plastic straws on Amazon really cheap.

I did experience the reusable bag rule at our local Disney store last week. The reusable bag offered for purchase was only a dollar and decently large. I've since used it at a lot of other stores. We spent 6 months living an hour outside Laredo a couple years back for my fiance's job. The whole city had a "no plastic bag" rule. It is super easy to get used to.

I like that Disney cares enough about the environment to at least try and make some changes. They have some serious brand loyalty and will be great ambassadors for making a cultural change.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I honestly don't mind the lack of straws and lids. We usually bring a bottle of water in our park backpacks. We only buy take away cups for quick service meals or specialty drinks. You can buy reusable plastic straws on Amazon really cheap.
One comment, One question! They aren't doing away with straws, just plastic ones and replacing them with paper straws. Which, BTW, were in use as the only option decades ago. (we survived) Now the question, where has it ever been mentioned that they were doing away with lids. I do not remember seeing any official mention of that. I might have missed because I don't really spent all that much time on the boards, but, whatever the case may be, I've never seen it. And if it is true the merchandising part Disney will go broke replacing clothing for kids and adults alike. And oh, those poor burnt hands and, possible other body part, for those that like to stroll along sipping their coffee.

HoneyBee1991

One comment, One question! They aren't doing away with straws, just plastic ones and replacing them with paper straws. Which, BTW, were in use as the only option decades ago. (we survived) Now the question, where has it ever been mentioned that they were doing away with lids. I do not remember seeing any official mention of that. I might have missed because I don't really spent all that much time on the boards, but, whatever the case may be, I've never seen it. And if it is true the merchandising part Disney will go broke replacing clothing for kids and adults alike. And oh, those poor burnt hands and, possible other body part, for those that like to stroll along sipping their coffee.

I haven't been to the parks since they made this change so I'm not 100% sure if they are taking the lids away all together. I mentioned lids based on previous posts and pictures on this forum and others I have seen on the subject. If someone who has been in the parks recently wants to clarify, please do so.

MickeyMinnieMom

IF this means the disappearance of plastic bags in the parks, my purchases will go way down.

I have more reusable bags than I could possibly ever use. Guess what happens to those when people have too many?? And at $1 a pop? Nope.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
So the items my wife bought in Pop Century's gift shop and in more than one Disney Springs store all came in free of charge bags. She was never asked to provide or purchase reusable bags.
As for the paper straws. I only encountered those in Animal Kingdom. Although my wife and daughter used them without any complaint....I gave it a try and hated in instantly. You definitely TASTE the straw. I chose to drink from the cup and I took a pass on the straw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom