Plastic Straws, Plastic Bags & More

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The straws remain?
Yes. All resorts all parks. Paper straws as always at AK. Lids absent in most venues. Lids do not slip through. But gone in most places. Remain at deluxe resorts. Also saw lids at Seasons. Every QS at Deluxe resorts there were lids. At Springs every non Disney owned establishment. Starbucks too.

I will continue our 3 weeks of Disney increase plastic use.....

As a reminder I am looking to post my observations over a 3 week period of plastic at Disney. There is a thread for debate for straws specific well established

Gabe1

If you want to save plastic and refill bottles, you’re not going to experience wide adoption with yellow Florida tap water. People can do that now at fountains.

By offering filtered water, you add value and encourage use. And Disney doesn’t lose money by not selling an additional bottle.

My point. Not about going green or saving the environment. The profits vs Green with all things plastic. They proved they could accomplish Green with Flight of Passage.

But still my question begs why no lids but straws abundant?

Gabe1

And more of the Disney going straw-less but not really. The straws returned to Pecos Bills. The Lids long gone. :rolleyes: But as a favor to the environment they went from their long standing paper condiment paper bins to Plastic Cups during our visit. Yep, not exactly going green.

But hey, the plastic straws returned. :oops:

No straws

95DC670A-E2B4-43A5-A24A-F415E105A09B.jpeg
Middle of trip. Biodegradable paper
AE748CFB-2605-4910-B2D5-3706A95F31E6.jpeg
Straws return No lids. Note how high the liquid is. Only the best of servers can balance food and liquid on trays without sloshing absent of lids while searching for seating and dodging guests and strollers. It could be comical but it isn’t.
67C38C6B-3BBF-45A1-8432-1551CE467B0D.jpeg

Our last day. Disney has replaced the paper biodegradable condiment bins that have been around for years and years with what??! PLATIC CUPS. :bawling:

BFBF7972-DD82-4DFA-B401-BC05C7328938.jpeg

So no lids for liquids but plastic cups for solid toppings. Who could make up this stuff?!!

Gabe1

So part of Disney’s plans is rid itself of giving guests a plastic bag at WDW when you purchase stuff. Disney Stores up here have already implemented.

But free Ziplocks at Splash and for annual Passholder perk gifts. *scratches head*

C2043BEB-71A7-467E-B4C4-58E71812E123.jpeg

Note not my photo. From AP Facebook Page

Gabe1

Back a decade ago at F&W flights were already a thing. You'd duck into a bar at Germany or Italy etc and there was a F&W flight offering but you stayed there to taste. Served in reusable glasses.

th

Now the amount of plastic used for flights alone vs a disposable cup that will be eliminated in guests rooms shows a lack of commitment to this new Green initiative.

th

You look at a cup lid or a straw and then look at the above.

LAM378

My coordination-challenged 9-year-old only spilled his drinks on himself 5 times last week in WDW due to the lack of lids. S’okay—I don’t dress him in light colors ever, and it was so hot that he dried quickly every time.

Straw dispensers were in abundance everywhere except the markets at Yacht & Beach Club. There, you had to ask for a straw from behind the counter.

What a mess in general, though. It was downright harrowing carrying trays of lidless drinks through any QS, and this was at a low-crowd time. Disney is going to be giving away a lot of free Mickey tee shirts to irate guests who’ve ended up drenched in soda.

Gabe1

My coordination-challenged 9-year-old only spilled his drinks on himself 5 times last week in WDW due to the lack of lids. S’okay—I don’t dress him in light colors ever, and it was so hot that he dried quickly every time.

Straw dispensers were in abundance everywhere except the markets at Yacht & Beach Club. There, you had to ask for a straw from behind the counter.

What a mess in general, though. It was downright harrowing carrying trays of lidless drinks through any QS, and this was at a low-crowd time. Disney is going to be giving away a lot of free Mickey tee shirts to irate guests who’ve ended up drenched in soda.

I’m sorry I saw this happen multiple times in every venue. Not only are little ones and guests with disabilities taking hits but as are the tables and floors plus the rugs. So PR. Given the increase of plastic Disney is implemented straws and lids isn’t the real issue.

Gabe1

If you want to save plastic and refill bottles, you’re not going to experience wide adoption with yellow Florida tap water. People can do that now at fountains.

By offering filtered water, you add value and encourage use. And Disney doesn’t lose money by not selling an additional bottle.
At a profit. Sams Club case 36 bottles of Disani water $4.88. One Disney Disani bottle to refill at $3 a bottle is a heck of an up charge already. No?

Gabe1

Straw help on the way. Just saw on the news a company is developing straws made out of canola oil; they claim the straws will degrade in land fills or water in 1-2 months--- supposedly environmentally safe.
That would help this Theme Park issue. Any word on if they they remain a straw when put into action? LaCava straws hold up. AK parks collapse. Hopeful but curious. Uselessness in liquid kinda important Thanks for info.

John park hopper

That would help this Theme Park issue. Any word on if they they remain a straw when put into action? LaCava straws hold up. AK parks collapse. Hopeful but curious. Uselessness in liquid kinda important Thanks for info.

Supposedly it is type biodegradable canola oil based plastic so I would assume it would hold up better than a paper straw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom