Plastic Straws, Plastic Bags & More

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
By mid 2019 Disney will eliminate plastic straws at all its theme parks (except in Japan). I am told in Animal K. they are already using paper straws that become gross after awhile. Here in NJ they very soon will not provide Disney store shoppers with plastic bags to put your t shirts or whatever in. You need to bring or purchase reusable bags. I am not so thrilled with these changes. At Disney sometimes it is not desirable to drink your beverage 100% and then walk away empty handed. If no straw....then no lid? Who wants a drink with a lid if you have no straw? We could use something like this(see below) large reusable plastic cup I have saved from a prior visit to Busch Gardens.....but.....once we get to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train....what do we do with this type of enormous cup that Disney might sell? You can not bring a tall reusable cup like that on the ride, correct? I liked life the way it was. Lastly, in the past we would arrive at Magic Kingdom at 9am and stay until closing. The last thing my wife would do before they kicked us out was to stop in the Main St. Gift Shops. We are not interested in carrying around reusable shopping bags for 12 hours so at the end of the night we have them available for her purchases at 9:30pm. Something must be wrong with me that I don't want to change. Sorry for my selfishness! ( I will post a photo of a reusable cup....it is not Disney but Disney likely does or could sell cups just like it)20180923_134112.jpg

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

By mid 2019 Disney will eliminate plastic straws at all its theme parks (except in Japan). I am told in Animal K. they are already using paper straws that become gross after awhile.
It is more than gross with the paper straws. I was a WDW in the later part of of Aug through a couple days after labor day. My younger brother had a slushy at AK and he needed 2 straws to finish drinking it. The first paper straw broke while he was drinking the slushy. He was not the only person in the group with paper straw issues breaking at AK.

John park hopper

:Google "Indonesian River of Plastic" and then come back here and tell me the use of plastic straws and bags in the USA are destroying the oceans-- not happening---it is not us

KeithVH

Kneejerk reaction to those Tactical Assault Straws. I think there is probably a middle ground on this issue but corporate America is not known for their logical approach to sensitive/PC-type issues. Remember when people freaked about using paper back in the 70s? We were going to destroy every tree in the world so they went to plastic bags. Now cities are banning plastic bags and going back to paper.

Such is life.

Goofyernmost

Kneejerk reaction to those Tactical Assault Straws. I think there is probably a middle ground on this issue but corporate America is not known for their logical approach to sensitive/PC-type issues. Remember when people freaked about using paper back in the 70s? We were going to destroy every tree in the world so they went to plastic bags. Now cities are banning plastic bags and going back to paper.

Such is life.
Actually, it is more of a prime example of those that don't know history are doomed to repeat it. Paper straws were never an issue when I was a kid. I doubt they will be now. They just were stronger and could be used on the ice cream in a cup milk shakes where paper collapses instantly. The McDonalds in our area switched from Styrofoam cups to plastic cups. Now they sweat all over everything. and the are smaller so you get less product then before. I guess someone wins in that change, but, I don't think it was us. I think, I don't know for sure, but, my thought is that it takes less plastic material to make a styrofoam cup (which are mostly air) then a solid plastic one. So much for saving the planet.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
By mid 2019 Disney will eliminate plastic straws at all its theme parks (except in Japan). I am told in Animal K. they are already using paper straws that become gross after awhile. Here in NJ they very soon will not provide Disney store shoppers with plastic bags to put your t shirts or whatever in. You need to bring or purchase reusable bags. I am not so thrilled with these changes. At Disney sometimes it is not desirable to drink your beverage 100% and then walk away empty handed. If no straw....then no lid? Who wants a drink with a lid if you have no straw? We could use something like this(see below) large reusable plastic cup I have saved from a prior visit to Busch Gardens.....but.....once we get to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train....what do we do with this type of enormous cup that Disney might sell? You can not bring a tall reusable cup like that on the ride, correct? I liked life the way it was. Lastly, in the past we would arrive at Magic Kingdom at 9am and stay until closing. The last thing my wife would do before they kicked us out was to stop in the Main St. Gift Shops. We are not interested in carrying around reusable shopping bags for 12 hours so at the end of the night we have them available for her purchases at 9:30pm. Something must be wrong with me that I don't want to change. Sorry for my selfishness! ( I will post a photo of a reusable cup....it is not Disney but Disney likely does or could sell cups just like it)View attachment 315872

If you don’t mind I’d like to add onto your thread of more observations of the three weeks we were collectively in Disney last month at the start of this Plastic announcement as it was handled differently frequently though implemented. Think it would fit better her over the drama. 😊

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
If you don’t mind I’d like to add onto your thread of more observations of the three weeks we were collectively in Disney last month at the start of this Plastic announcement as it was handled differently frequently though implemented. Think it would fit better her over the drama. 😊
Please share anything about this topic. Thanks :)

StarWarsGirl

I went to WDW in August. I came back. Work had changed the straws in the break room to paper in the time I was gone.

We have many complaints among employees, but so far, not a single person is complaining about the straws.

Gabe1

By mid 2019 Disney will eliminate plastic straws at all its theme parks (except in Japan). I am told in Animal K. they are already using paper straws that become gross after awhile. Here in NJ they very soon will not provide Disney store shoppers with plastic bags to put your t shirts or whatever in. You need to bring or purchase reusable bags. I am not so thrilled with these changes. At Disney sometimes it is not desirable to drink your beverage 100% and then walk away empty handed. If no straw....then no lid? Who wants a drink with a lid if you have no straw? We could use something like this(see below) large reusable plastic cup I have saved from a prior visit to Busch Gardens.....but.....once we get to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train....what do we do with this type of enormous cup that Disney might sell? You can not bring a tall reusable cup like that on the ride, correct? I liked life the way it was. Lastly, in the past we would arrive at Magic Kingdom at 9am and stay until closing. The last thing my wife would do before they kicked us out was to stop in the Main St. Gift Shops. We are not interested in carrying around reusable shopping bags for 12 hours so at the end of the night we have them available for her purchases at 9:30pm. Something must be wrong with me that I don't want to change. Sorry for my selfishness! ( I will post a photo of a reusable cup....it is not Disney but Disney likely does or could sell cups just like it)View attachment 315872

I do agree with you. We are a recyling family, likely 3x to recyling to one to the trash.
Me, if Disney wishes to replace a plastic straw for a paper one have at it. But the paper straw construction needs to fulfill the need of the beverage being served. Some beverages just need a straw. These two at Animal Kingdom is a great example. The paper straws served with them are the type you sip out of and they immediately go flat now.
satuli_canteen_review_avatar_pandora_disney-5.jpg

So Disney has now plopped a "reusable" Mickey Straw in it. Problem is the diameter of the straw is very narrow, too narrow for a the Mickey Straw.

images

We have never kept these straws. They are difficult to clean, sticky to put in your purse, bag or backpack and I'm not likely to try and clean a straw in a communal bathroom sink that guests wash hands and brush teeth in. So Mickey hit the trash.

Now La Cava del Tequila offers on request a thick walled paper straw. It doesn't collapse.
Problem solved if Disney wishes to replace the more economical plastic straw.

Gabe1

Steve has allowed me to post in his thread the observations I had over the 3 weeks when the straw and lid protocol changed daily. These will be more an observations noted over a grand debate of straws.

Overall I left Disney thinking Disney is introducing more and more plastics to their food services each and every year an that the Straw and Lids are more the current high profile GOING GREEN trend stomping the world. I certainly understood AK, that a given portion of the lands are similar to zoos but aside from mainly the safari where drinks in paper cups are not allowed with or without a lid most of Disney's creatures in Animal Kingdom are not accessible enough for Guests to get straws to the creatures.

While I was paying careful attention this trip to all the brouhaha over plastics I came to see how much plastic Disney is adding vs the little subtracting from straws, lids, bags for purchases or even paper cups in guest rooms. Of the 5 resorts we had reservations for the last one for 11 days never replaced the 4 glass cups once. Though we had more than 2 people in the room the paper coffee cups were 2. Once used not replaced.

So I'll share some of the things we observed.

Gabe1

Quick Service and Carts

The dining plan now includes some alcoholic choices at 3 of the 4 parks for Quick Service.

th
001b7d4062a0cf1f10dbc902895e4918.jpg

4237521594fd64554ba86d4994fd8d68.jpg

These were the three plastic bottles I was given over the trip for wine. It varied if they poured it into an addition plastic wine glass or just cracked the seal. (Same thing with a bottle or can of beer but the beer was almost always removed and poured into a plastic cup vs metal bottle or can)
th

Honestly, the beer bottles and wine bottles were all designed to be able to drink out of directly.

Gabe1

In all sincerity if Disney was concerned more about the environment and being Green Disney would do something about the $3 Bottled water. Disney knows how to do it. They now have water and ice specific in their resort quick service beverage areas. Even more so the filtered water station in Flight of Passage. If these were installed throughout the parks guests could easily refill the Dasani bottle they buy at the beginning of the day and reuse it. But what wins? The refill filtered refill stations or $3 a Dasani Bottle? Disney Knows how to do it, they have the vendor to encourage reuse, they know where to purchase water bottle filtered water stations. How many of these refill stations have you seen in the parks? What wins $3 or Going Green?

B16EB557-D05E-497B-9511-9E2B2B567285.jpeg
Did you know?????? Who is Thirsty? Disney sold 13 Million Dasani Water Bottles a year as of 3 years ago and likely rising at $3 a bottle. Green vs Profit?

8CB023EA-C42E-44CD-9CA7-FF20BD819864.jpeg

The plastic in one Dasani Water Bottle vs a straw or a lid vs a $3 bottle of water? Daisani Wins. Additional profits by omitting costs of straws and lids, the price doesn't come down for guests now did it???, profits on cups of beverages increase for Disney. Brilliant Green Marketing.

I guess I am looking at the small efforts at guests expense vs the profits of the larger plastic volume that adds leaps and bound profits at the expense to both the environment and the guests

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

In all sincerity if Disney was concerned more about the environment and being Green Disney would do something about the $3 Bottled water. Disney knows how to do it. They now have water and ice specific in their resort quick service beverage areas. Even more so the filtered water station in Flight of Passage. If these were installed throughout the parks guests could easily refill the Dasani bottle they buy at the beginning of the day and reuse it. But what wins? The refill filtered refill stations or $3 a Dasani Bottle? Disney Knows how to do it, they have the vendor to encourage reuse, they know where to purchase water bottle filtered water stations. How many of these refill stations have you seen in the parks? What wins $3 or Going Green?

View attachment 316176
Did you know?????? Who is Thirsty? Disney sold 13 Million Dasani Water Bottles a year as of 3 years ago and likely rising at $3 a bottle. Green vs Profit?

The plastic in one Dasani Water Bottle vs a straw or a lid vs a $3 bottle of water? Daisani Wins. Additional profits by omitting costs of straws and lids, the price doesn't come down for guests now did it???, profits on cups of beverages increase for Disney. Brilliant Green Marketing.

Charge $1 for a filtered refill.

Gabe1

I can’t get worked up over this. Never had an issue with a paper straw. Then again I’m not one of those people who has to have a soda everywhere I go. I drink water and alcoholic drinks and have no worries.

I think I made it clear I am not looking for people to get worked up or drama. More to think. Is the volume of plastic genuinely increasing at Disney or Decreasing? Does a straw have the same environmental impact at a Dasani water bottle? At times we loose ourselves in the small efforts and loose sight of the greater problems that are multiplying. The slight of hand.

Tony the Tigger

That would be the Disney Way. Unfiltered water free, use of a filter a $1. Giggle. Up here all of our drinking fountains and water bottle refills from schools to malls is free. Florida is a different animal.

If you want to save plastic and refill bottles, you’re not going to experience wide adoption with yellow Florida tap water. People can do that now at fountains.

By offering filtered water, you add value and encourage use. And Disney doesn’t lose money by not selling an additional bottle.

Tony the Tigger

I think I made it clear I am not looking for people to get worked up or drama. More to think. Is the volume of plastic genuinely increasing at Disney or Decreasing? Does a straw have the same environmental impact at a Dasani water bottle? At times we loose ourselves in the small efforts and loose sight of the greater problems that are multiplying. The slight of hand.

I believe the thought process was that a straw is more likely to cause harm to wildlife than a bottle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom