Plastic shopping bags

tare

Original Poster
So have they eliminated the no plastic shopping bags or do you still put your purchases in a bag without buying one.

Cmdr_Crimson

So have they eliminated the no plastic shopping bags or do you still put your purchases in a bag without buying one.

I'm sure they are their upon request...But, they are now selling the Reusable totes for $1 more....Still unsure how this will work within the theme parks...I can understand at Disney Springs...But, the parks....Not So much...You could always get Resort Delivery..

thomas998

I'm sure they are their upon request...But, they are now selling the Reusable totes for $1 more....Still unsure how this will work within the theme parks...I can understand at Disney Springs...But, the parks....Not So much...You could always get Resort Delivery..
Sounds like a good time to buy a huge amount of things and then return them all when they refuse to provide a bag to put them in... If enough people would do that, Disney would have to stop the anti-plastic nonsense. Reality is they only want to embrace the no-plastic movement because it makes them more money, it does nothing for the environment. If you look at the stuff used to make the "re-usable" totes it is often includes the same petroleum based materials, just more of them, and the odds of people actually using them over and over isn't that great as they often get maybe a couple of uses before being lost or tossed, but now Disney gets to charge you for a super duty plastic bag.

Nottamus

Sounds like a good time to buy a huge amount of things and then return them all when they refuse to provide a bag to put them in... If enough people would do that, Disney would have to stop the anti-plastic nonsense. Reality is they only want to embrace the no-plastic movement because it makes them more money, it does nothing for the environment. If you look at the stuff used to make the "re-usable" totes it is often includes the same petroleum based materials, just more of them, and the odds of people actually using them over and over isn't that great as they often get maybe a couple of uses before being lost or tossed, but now Disney gets to charge you for a super duty plastic bag.

To fix a problem, you have to start somewhere....

ppete1975

I think it comes from reusable totes are usually reused either putting gifts in them or using them next time you go to the store, or it stings you have to buy one everytime so you start remembering to bring them back. Where most plastic bags automatically are thrown in the garbage. Its not about cost or material its the landfill/trash issue. On that note if find it dumb. Compared to Walmart and the fact that a lot of tourists save a bag or two.. I don't see this making an impact.

winstongator

I have re-usable grocery bags I've been using for 15 years. I've gone over a year without a single plastic bag from Publix or other grocery stores.

Nottamus

I think it comes from reusable totes are usually reused either putting gifts in them or using them next time you go to the store, or it stings you have to buy one everytime so you start remembering to bring them back. Where most plastic bags automatically are thrown in the garbage. Its not about cost or material its the landfill/trash issue. On that note if find it dumb. Compared to Walmart and the fact that a lot of tourists save a bag or two.. I don't see this making an impact.

I think the 'impact' comes when one big company starts something, then other big companies have to follow, or copy...then the small companies follow, and so on. Before you know it, everyone is doing it.
Someone has to start.

thomas998

I think it comes from reusable totes are usually reused either putting gifts in them or using them next time you go to the store, or it stings you have to buy one every time so you start remembering to bring them back. Where most plastic bags automatically are thrown in the garbage. Its not about cost or material its the landfill/trash issue. On that note if find it dumb. Compared to Walmart and the fact that a lot of tourists save a bag or two.. I don't see this making an impact.

Frankly we never just throw out the disposable wal-mart type bags, we use them to line the small trash cans in the bathroom and the kids' rooms so it avoids us buying small garbage bags. The landfill issue is complete and utter nonsense. You might have some cities that have an issue with landfills, but is only because they have such onerous regulations that they can't build or expand where they need to. I remember seeing a presentation on this landfill nonsense once and they pulled down a big map of the US about the 5 feet wide and 2 or 3 feet tall.. Put a dot on that map with a sharpie and explain that if put all the landfills in the US together that they would occupy that tiny dot. No one likes to live near landfills because of the noise and smell.. but we really aren't hurting for space for them. I've see the landfill from where I was raised and its still there.... 40 years later it hasn't turned into some mount Everest of trash, it get continually churned covered up with dirt to slowly rot while moving to other areas... over and over and for landfill that has been supporting over a million people for as long as most can remember it just doesn't make sense to pretend that landfills are going to overflow the country side.

ppete1975

Frankly we never just throw out the disposable wal-mart type bags, we use them to line the small trash cans in the bathroom and the kids' rooms so it avoids us buying small garbage bags. The landfill issue is complete and utter nonsense. You might have some cities that have an issue with landfills, but is only because they have such onerous regulations that they can't build or expand where they need to. I remember seeing a presentation on this landfill nonsense once and they pulled down a big map of the US about the 5 feet wide and 2 or 3 feet tall.. Put a dot on that map with a sharpie and explain that if put all the landfills in the US together that they would occupy that tiny dot. No one likes to live near landfills because of the noise and smell.. but we really aren't hurting for space for them. I've see the landfill from where I was raised and its still there.... 40 years later it hasn't turned into some mount Everest of trash, it get continually churned covered up with dirt to slowly rot while moving to other areas... over and over and for landfill that has been supporting over a million people for as long as most can remember it just doesn't make sense to pretend that landfills are going to overflow the country side.
Have you seen trees near Walmart.. they look like a plastic bag Christmas tree.
Also the environmental issue is on all disposable plastics.. just look at the great pacific garbage patch (I know that's not all us and its all kinds of plastics) but creating and disposing of any plastic isn't great for the planet.
I like you reuse my bags and think Disney is just using it as an excuse.
One Walmart daily probably uses as much as all of the magic kingdom.
And I hate our local Disney stores not having plastic bags... that totally feels like a money grab asking me if I want to carry my item. or buy one of their bags.

thomas998

Have you seen trees near Walmart.. they look like a plastic bag Christmas tree.
Also the environmental issue is on all disposable plastics.. just look at the great pacific garbage patch (I know that's not all us and its all kinds of plastics) but creating and disposing of any plastic isn't great for the planet.
I like you reuse my bags and think Disney is just using it as an excuse.
One Walmart daily probably uses as much as all of the magic kingdom.
And I hate our local Disney stores not having plastic bags... that totally feels like a money grab asking me if I want to carry my item. or buy one of their bags.
Reality of great pacific garbage patch has little to do with shopping bags in the US. More to do with countries that dump their trash into the ocean instead of using a landfill... of ships that dump waste instead of hauling it back to port with them to dispose of properly... but you aren't going to find many walmart bags in that garbage patch.

HwdStudio

Oooo that will teach them a lesson! Plastic bags are available on request.

ppete1975

Reality of great pacific garbage patch has little to do with shopping bags in the US. More to do with countries that dump their trash into the ocean instead of using a landfill... of ships that dump waste instead of hauling it back to port with them to dispose of properly... but you aren't going to find many walmart bags in that garbage patch.
that's why I said its all kinds of plastics.... just saying that a lot of environmental awareness towards plastic products and waste in general. Once again though I don't think that's the reality of why Disney is doing it... its not environmental its greed
I have only mentioned Walmart as a volume thing.

baymenxpac

Pete! I don't know whether to agree or disagree, so I'll just Disneygree/Disneygreed.

i think pete's point is (and pete, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) is that while disney's intentions may ultimately be just about the bottom line and getting some decent PR for being green, using less plastic for one-time disposal is a good thing.

where i live, there's a 5 cent charge if you want a plastic bag. think it doesn't make a difference? it does. it makes people think twice about their consumption. so if disney eliminates straws and plastic bags and plastic lids, i'm not going to turn my nose up at that, no matter what their intentions are. it's a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom