Planning a trip to DisneyLand and I have some questions please......

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
Hi all......Just came back from DisneyWorld last Tuesday and realized that I NEED Disney in my life TWICE per year because once is not cutting it. I go nuts at my job waiting a whole year to go to the world and my Wife and I are thinking about making our usual trip to DisneyWorld in Sept but now want to include going to DisneyLand......where we always wanted to go anyway.....around 6 months after that. So, I do have some questions if you guys dont mind answering. Here goes.............
What is the best hotel to stay at?
Is there ANY news regarding DL bringing back the peoplemover?
Is the DL Space Mountain really smoother than the DW version?
How is the Blue Bayou Restaurant?
What other good restaurants are there?
We are looking to go in March/April.....Is that a good time crowd wise?

Well, that's all I can think of for now so thank you in advance for any questions answered.

Cosmic Commando

It all depends on your price range, just like at WDW. It's very possible the best hotel for you to stay at may be off-site, but it's different than WDW... there are literally a dozen off-site hotels that are as close or closer to DL and DCA and Downtown Disney than the Contemporary is to MK. If you can drop $400 per night on a hotel without thinking about it, stay at the Grand Californian. After that, the decision gets to be a lot harder to make. Use Wikimapia to get a feel for where everything is.

There are rumors about big things happening in Tomorrowland around 2016, so possibly then.

The DL Space Mountain is a brand new coaster circa 2005. It's a completely different car, layout, etc. Really the only similarity is that they're both in the dark. Personally, I think of the Matterhorn as the spiritual sibling to WDW's Space Mountain and DL's Space as a smaller Everest that doesn't go backwards. The theming on those two pairs is obviously different, but the cars and track style are somewhat similar.

Blue Bayou is pricey, but you're paying for the atmosphere. For fine dining, there's Napa Rose, Carthay Circle and Steakhouse 55. There are smaller, casual sit-downs like Carnation Cafe. There's good counter service food. You won't go hungry.

I don't have my touringplans subscription right now, but you could possibly be running into spring break crowds then. If you avoid those times, you should be good.

TuffyCatt

I just realized that I still have my Touring Plans subscription, so I can let you know what they say for March/April. It looks like they expect the majority of those two months to be pretty busy, between Spring Break and Easter, but there are a few weeks here and there where they don't expect the crowds to be quite so bad. Here's what they predict for 2014:

So it looks like they expect the first week of March (from the 3rd to the 7th) to be pretty quiet. However, spring break season gears up on the 8th and it looks like they expect the rest of March to be pretty pack (with crowd levels of 8-9/10 for most of the month). Then from March 31 to April 15, things slow down significantly, with expected jumps in crowds on Saturdays and Sundays. Crowds rev up again from April 16-23 (levels of 9/10) because of the Easter Holiday. Then it looks like they expect the end of April to be slow.

Hope that helps! We just took our first trip to Disneyland (after many, many to WDW) this past July and had a blast. This board is an AMAZING resource. I also used the Unofficial Guide (which gives you a discount on the Touring Plans subscription), and I found that really helpful as well!

westie

What is the best hotel to stay at? I love-love-love the DCA hotel. Great rooms, great location, great restaurants. Its like WDW but on a smaller walking friendly scale.
Is there ANY news regarding DL bringing back the peoplemover? Never gonna happen, it was supposed to be Rocket Rods and that failed.
Is the DL Space Mountain really smoother than the DW version? Not sure on this one as it was closed on my last visit.
How is the Blue Bayou Restaurant? The ambiance is terrific like dining in mexico pavillion. Expensive and food can be hit or miss, just like mexico.
What other good restaurants are there? I recommend Steakhouse 55. Great food, great service.
We are looking to go in March/April.....Is that a good time crowd wise? Weather can be a little cold and rainy that time of year but, it only rains 50 days a year in CA so, its worth the risk. In my experience, mid-week anytime of year is perfect. Weekends are always crowded.

Figments Friend

Some thoughts for a WDW vet coming to DL...

Unlike at WDW, there is no real need to stay *on property*....or, at a Disney owned hotel.
Save yourself a TON of money and book a room at one of the multitudes of good quality hotels all around the DL area ....there are places to fit EVERY budget need or want.

With the Park(s) being within walking distance to so many decently priced hotel options, it seems a waste of money to pay $400 a night to stay just outside the front gates. So many hotels on Harbor Blvd. have pretty much the same close location, at a fraction of the cost.
Add into this that the benefits of staying at a On Site are dramatically different in scale then what WDW vets are likely already used to, and it can seem a lesser perceived value.
For example, there is no Magical Express service tied into your hotel stay, or lenghty extended EMHs.

Of course...everyone is rightly entitled to stay wherever they want and the three main Disney owned hotels are quite nice. The Disneyland Hotel is probably my fave of the three.

Now regarding the other questions :

I throughly enjoyed the Blue Bayou.
Had a meal here twice, both times it was worth visiting.
You cannot beat the scenic view....and you do indeed pay for it in the price of your food.
Reservations are a must if you decide to eat here.
I would say give it a try....it is well worth experiencing.

I also recommend Cafe Orleans.

The Peoplemover at DL is history.
It will never return from what i have gathered.
The previous attraction overlay coupled with the new stricter safety standards have pretty much kissed goodbye any chance of it every treading those elevated tracks again.
I thank the Gods we still have the one operational at WDW.

As others have said, the DL Space Mountain is a completely different experience. Well worth taking the voyage...a must do if you dig coasters or just SM in general.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

While I've never found WDW's Space Mountain uncomfortable as a lot of people do, DL's is nothing like it in terms of how you ride. It's Matterhorn bobsled-type ride vehicle with your knees up at chest height at WDW vs. sitting normally and side-by-side at DL. The ride is smoother. There's only one real drop and the majority of the ride is a series of straight sections and turns as you gradually descend from the top.

kkocka

Grand Californian

Cream of the crop, best "hotel" experience. Gorgeously finished with great fine dining options, lobby bar, and pool + poolside accommodations. Definitely priciest option even with discounts.

The Disneyland Hotel

Lots of history and coming off a fantastic renovation that really mixes vintage nods with modern design. Plenty to explore and take pictures of. In addition to the newly renovated towers and rooms, you have the new pool and Trader Sam's - though if you're 20 you won't legally be able to maximize your experience.
wink.gif
My personal fav hotel.

Paradise Pier Hotel
The most overlooked because its not as grand of a hotel, but I still have a soft spot for it. Pretty basic hotel but not cheaply done. The rooms are pier/beach themed which matches Paradise Pier of DCA perfectly. Better decor than WDW's Beach Club, in my opinion, and some rooms have a great view of DCA. Cheapest of the three but you still get the early morning benefits, etc.

I recently read potential Tron tie-ins, but have also read about a large Star Wars-based Tomorrowland which might mean usage there. I don't know if it means just using the track or the actual carts as well, or what. Its been dead for a very long time sadly.

Absolutely. Its darker, smoother, and faster. Only one track, but its definitely a more tightened experience.

The atmosphere is definitely the reason to dine there. The food was above average for park food, but I don't get the hype.

In California Adventure, the best dining experience will be Carthay Circle hands down. Much much better than Blue Bayou in my opinion, with "money's worth" quality in service and food quality. Not typical parklike food at all. You might wanna dress up a bit because its a swankier place than the rest of the parks. You don't have the low-light dinner like you do in Bayou, but the trade off is not even an issue for debate.

Since you're at the hotels, for an even finer dining experience, you have Napa Rose in the Grand Californian which might require you to have a refined appetite. Delicious. The Disneyland Hotel has Steakhouse 55 which I've also been at many times, and its fantastic. In Downtown Disney, I especially like the mediterranean cuisine at Catal. Very nice upstairs!

Its not too bad, depending if you're there during spring break or not. But, since it sounds like you're staying on-site, shouldn't really damper your plans.

teacherlady19

<<What is the best hotel to stay at?>> Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian and Paradise Pier are all pricey. You will pay anywhere from $250 up to $450 per night and won't be much closer to the parks than some of the "good neighbor" hotels. My husband and I enjoyed the Candy Cane Inn this past summer, around $150 night, and they have a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes to/from the park.

<<Is there ANY news regarding DL bringing back the peoplemover?>> Enjoy the one at WDW. The DL version does not appear to be coming back any time soon.

<<Is the DL Space Mountain really smoother than the DW version?>> I like the DL version better. The rockets are different. In WDW, you are sitting single. In DL, it's two to a seat, next to each other. I personally like that better.

<<How is the Blue Bayou Restaurant?>> We love it. It's the atmosphere, not so much the food. The ambiance of sitting on the water at POTC can't be beat.

<<What other good restaurants are there?>> Napa Rose in the Grand Californian, Carthay Circle at DCA have good reputations, as does Steakhouse 55.

<<We are looking to go in March/April.....Is that a good time crowd wise?>> Watch out for the week between Palm Sunday and Easter. It's the spring break for a lot of SoCal schools!

Donna in SoCal

steamboatjosh

Thanks guys for ALL of the EXCELLENT information.....I really appreciate it.

Also make sure that you do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. This is something I recommend HIGHLY to anyone going to Disneyland. Earlier this year my fiance and I went to Disneyland for our anniversary (which is one we dined at Blue Bayou). We did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour and were in tears because of how powerful it is. It may seem pricey but if you want to feel the real spirit of Disneyland as well as the spirit of Walt himself then you have to do this tour. It's amazing.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
Also make sure that you do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour. This is something I recommend HIGHLY to anyone going to Disneyland. Earlier this year my fiance and I went to Disneyland for our anniversary (which is one we dined at Blue Bayou). We did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour and were in tears because of how powerful it is. It may seem pricey but if you want to feel the real spirit of Disneyland as well as the spirit of Walt himself then you have to do this tour. It's amazing.
That is something we will be doing providing it is not too expensive. Btw, how much was it per person? Thanks.

steamboatjosh

Well we are year passholders at Disneyland so we actually got a discount but I think it was $109 per person at regular price. Well worth it, imo.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
Well we are year passholders at Disneyland so we actually got a discount but I think it was $109 per person at regular price. Well worth it, imo.
I kind of figured that it would be anywhere between $100.00-$150.00 so at $109.00, that is great. Thanks again.

croboy82

I personally think that the Disney Hotels are way overpriced and you will find nice Hotels just as close!

We stayed at the Howard Johnson in Anaheim, which was about a 10 min walk and half the price or more than any Disney Hotel.

steamboatjosh

No problem. Make sure you get a reservation for it before you go. We lucked out and they pushed us in because it was our anniversary but otherwise they were completely full for the entire week.

JoMarch

We normally go to WDW every September. This year we went to DL instead. I really enjoyed myself. It's similar on a whole, but also different. It was great to experience both and an experience I will never forget!

Some notes (FYI: contains ride spoilers!)

Disneyland Park:
-“Fantasmic” – In DL you are closer to the action and the “Peter Pan” sequence and Maleficent dragon are superior.
-Jungle Cruise – Are there a piranha fish at WDW – I don’t remember?
-Pirates of the Caribbean – The boat moves slower but the 2 drops at the beginning are great. The rest is basically the same.
-Splash Mountain – The same as WDW but faster and seems to get to the point. I love the animatronics before the final drop.
-Peter Pan’s Flight – darker and some different vignettes.
-Snow White’s Scary Adventure – Some different vignettes.
-Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster – The guns are better in DL
-Space Mountain – smoother, darker, faster in DL. I can only ride SM in WDW once. I rode the DL version 4 times.

Don’t Miss:
-Indiana Jones/Disneyland Park – Kinda like “Dinosaur” in WDW but better.
-World of Color/California Adventure – Just beautiful and moving. My new favorite Disney show!
-Radiator Springs Racers/California Adventure/Cars Land – Just great!

Walt Disney1955

Well, that's all I can think of for now so thank you in advance for any questions answered.

If I were you, I'd save your money and stay off site. Howard Johnson is a name people have mentioned. Nothing wrong with that. However, we stayed at the Ayres Hotel which is 2-3 miles down the road. Excellent price and we had 30% off because we got a deal in the summer (September). Beautiful rooms too, I was pleasantly surprise. Pancakes, hashbrowns, cereal, etc. cooked right on the spot for breakfast every morning.

Space Mountain at DL gets talked about as being smoother. I guess it is, but it is one of those rides where I didn't find much difference between the two. Now Splash Mountain is better at WDW, as it Tower of Terror. But Pirates is clearly better at Disneyland and you don't want to miss that one in a million years. Imagine WDW's version, but double the time. Plus it sets up rather nice overlooking the Blue Bayou restaurant. Kind of gives you a Southern feel to it.

We got to the front of the Blue Bayou restaurant, were told the waiting times and looked at the prices and said "thanks but no thanks."

We liked the Hungry Bear Restaurant right near Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh. A really relaxing experience.

April would be a good time to go, I think. But if you want to do things outside of Disney you may want to go at a warmer time of year to hit up the beaches. Ask some Californians how cold the ocean will be in April, because I am not sure. In September it was fine, and there were lots of people swimming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom