Planning a trip to DisneyLand and I have some questions please......

kkocka

Space Mountain at DL gets talked about as being smoother. I guess it is, but it is one of those rides where I didn't find much difference between the two.
Disneyland's is definitely much smoother, faster, and darker. I believe the track is different, but I can't recall WDW's. In California's, its more or less a spiral decent starting at the top.

Now Splash Mountain is better at WDW, as it Tower of Terror.
In short, I think DCA's Tower of Terror is a much tighter and more forceful/faster experience. However, props to WDW's version which has more of a journey experience to it, plus the randomized drops (so I'm told, but only rode it once while there.) If you ride DCA's version, try looking straight up when you rise: it gives a great thrill.

We liked the Hungry Bear Restaurant right near Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh. A really relaxing experience.
One of the more relaxing dining areas, especially toward the back of the restaurant where you are furthest away from the main streets. Downstairs is often secluded too and you can watch the feral cats. :3

Ask some Californians how cold the ocean will be in April, because I am not sure.
Cold as hell, as always.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
Thanks again to everyone who gave me some really great info. Well, along with this thread, my wife and I did some research online and found out that our TOTAL which included a 4 night stay at the DisneyLand Hotel, park tickets, and airfare, but did not include dining was $4,500.00. So, like others have said, we will DEFINETLY be staying at a friendly neighbor hotel.
Do most of these offsite hotels have transportation to the park? Are there any hotels that I should avoid?
Also, I take it, there is not a dining plan in DL.......just WDW?

P.S. We checked out the Best Western Plus which is right across the street from DL and it looks good. Anyone know anything about it? I also noticed that there are few moderate good neighbor hotels across the street in that same area and was wondering which one you guys prefer? Thanks again to all.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Thanks again to everyone who gave me some really great info. Well, along with this thread, my wife and I did some research online and found out that our TOTAL which included a 4 night stay at the DisneyLand Hotel, park tickets, and airfare, but did not include dining was $4,500.00. So, like others have said, we will DEFINETLY be staying at a friendly neighbor hotel.
Do most of these offsite hotels have transportation to the park? Are there any hotels that I should avoid?
Also, I take it, there is not a dining plan in DL.......just WDW?

P.S. We checked out the Best Western Plus which is right across the street from DL and it looks good. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks again to all.

I've stayed at the Best Western Plus and it's perfect for what one needs, which is a place to rest your head. Nice, comfy beds and a nice bathroom. Free continental breakfast as well. I'd recommend it.

Don't bother with that thing they call a "dining plan" at Disneyland. Just pay as you go. If you want, you can put some money on a Disney gift card and use it for food.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
I've stayed at the Best Western Plus and it's perfect for what one needs, which is a place to rest your head. Nice, comfy beds and a nice bathroom. Free continental breakfast as well. I'd recommend it.

Don't bother with that thing they call a "dining plan" at Disneyland. Just pay as you go. If you want, you can put some money on a Disney gift card and use it for food.
That sounds great. I could not believe the price difference between the Best Western and the Disneyland hotels. It was $1,900.00 less for staying across the street vs in the park for 4 nights with a 5 day park pass. :eek: As long as the place is clean then I am happy...I really don't need all the bells and whistles. Is that Best Western really right across the street or is it a little ways down? Thanks.

Californian Elitist

That sounds great. I could not believe the price difference between the Best Western and the Disneyland hotels. It was $1,900.00 less for staying across the street vs in the park for 4 nights with a 5 day park pass. :eek: As long as the place is clean then I am happy...I really don't need all the bells and whistles. Is that Best Western really right across the street or is it a little ways down? Thanks.

Yeah, it's really not worth all that extra money. Just for a place to sleep.

It really is directly across the street. You come out the gate, cross the street and it's literally right there.

Here's the hotel, with the monorail across the street:

image.jpg

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
Yeah, it's really not worth all that extra money. Just for a place to sleep.

It really is directly across the street. You come out the gate, cross the street and it's literally right there.

Here's the hotel, with the monorail across the street:

View attachment 34617
Wow.....That monorail is very patriotic! The Best Western in the picture is not the one I originally looked at. It was at 1630 not 1544 but given a choice I would rather stay at the one in the pic. For the money, you really cant beat RIGHT ACROSS the park. I did some more research and they said that the one at 1630 is actually 1/2 mile away which still is very close but I will take the one across the street. I still cannot believe the price difference. Before we looked into the good neighbor hotels, we ALMOST were at a point where we were going to say forget it when we looked at the DL hotels. Its hard for us to justify paying that much. Thanks again for the help.

Californian Elitist

Wow.....That monorail is very patriotic! The Best Western in the picture is not the one I originally looked at. It was at 1630 not 1544 but given a choice I would rather stay at the one in the pic. For the money, you really cant beat RIGHT ACROSS the park. I did some more research and they said that the one at 1630 is actually 1/2 mile away which still is very close but I will take the one across the street. I still cannot believe the price difference. Before we looked into the good neighbor hotels, we ALMOST were at a point where we were going to say forget it when we looked at the DL hotels. Its hard for us to justify paying that much. Thanks again for the help.

I think I know which hotel you were originally looking at. You're right, half a mile is still close, but right across the street is closer.:D If you look even closer, you can see the Matterhorn peaking a little bit over the Monorail.

You're saving so much money. It's good because you can either keep that money in your bank account or use it for something else while you're in CA.

Figments Friend

I am glad that you decided to stay off-site.
It really is the way to go in CA. The scene is completely different to what you may already be well familiar with at WDW.
You will save loads of money...and can instead use that saved cash for meals and fun expenses. Staying on site at DL is not at all needed or necessary to have a truly Magical vacation.

If you stay at the BW, you probably will not need to worry about transportation once on site. This is a good thing, because then you will not have to pay additional costs for parking at the Parks which is $12 to $16 per day last i was aware.

Walking to the Park is a great way to 'prepare' yourself for what is about to come too...as when the original parking lot across from DL was closed to build DCA, you lost some of that fun 'anticipation' of walking through the sea of cars and seeing your destination ahead of you. It gave you a real sense of 'arrival'.
Now you don't really get this unless you walk to the Parks...in my opinion anyway.
I have done the parking garage /tram thing and it did not have the same impact as getting there with my own two legs.
Cutting through DTD helps build up the sense of 'arrival' too...walking by all the shops and seeing the other people also making the trek to the front gates makes it all the better.

Each there own...but i think you will enjoy that aspect of it.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
This is what I would do... stay at one of the hotels RIGHT across the street. You will feel like a king walking to DCA, Disneyland AND Downtown Disney within a few minutes of leaving your hotel room. The crosswalk is right across from the IHOP, so use that as your guide.
That's great, I will remember that and use IHOP as my guide which should be very close to that Best Western. Thanks.

HatboxGhost

Original Poster
I am glad that you decided to stay off-site.
It really is the way to go in CA. The scene is completely different to what you may already be well familiar with at WDW.
You will save loads of money...and can instead use that saved cash for meals and fun expenses. Staying on site at DL is not at all needed or necessary to have a truly Magical vacation.

If you stay at the BW, you probably will not need to worry about transportation once on site. This is a good thing, because then you will not have to pay additional costs for parking at the Parks which is $12 to $16 per day last i was aware.

Walking to the Park is a great way to 'prepare' yourself for what is about to come too...as when the original parking lot across from DL was closed to build DCA, you lost some of that fun 'anticipation' of walking through the sea of cars and seeing your destination ahead of you. It gave you a real sense of 'arrival'.
Now you don't really get this unless you walk to the Parks...in my opinion anyway.
I have done the parking garage /tram thing and it did not have the same impact as getting there with my own two legs.
Cutting through DTD helps build up the sense of 'arrival' too...walking by all the shops and seeing the other people also making the trek to the front gates makes it all the better.

Each there own...but i think you will enjoy that aspect of it.
Great post!!! Transportation is something people may not think of at first but being right across the street, we will save cash on parking like you stated. Also, I see exactly what you are talking about when you say that sense of arrival. Even just heading out the hotel door, walking across the street, and into the parks will be exciting.
Its funny because I forget that DL has a DTD as I am so used to WDW and their DTD so I tend to not remember that CA has one too. Thanks for the info.

Figments Friend

Great post!!! Transportation is something people may not think of at first but being right across the street, we will save cash on parking like you stated. Also, I see exactly what you are talking about when you say that sense of arrival. Even just heading out the hotel door, walking across the street, and into the parks will be exciting.
Its funny because I forget that DL has a DTD as I am so used to WDW and their DTD so I tend to not remember that CA has one too. Thanks for the info.

You are most welcome.
Not having a car to park is a nice plus, at least for a out-of-state visitor if only planning on staying in the DL area.
Saves you quite a bundle of money...cash that can be put towards buying more Haunted Mansion merchandise!
;)

There is public transport ( ART is one service..) and the distances between many hotels and the Park is definately do-able walking.
Lots to see along the way too...and i am not just talking about strolling through DTD, either!

For those planning on visiting other areas outside of the DLR such as the fabulous beaches, L.A., or Hollywood a car is a must, but you can still save a lot of money by keeping your car parked at your DL area hotel.
No need to 'drive' it over to the Parks...you are SO close to action already !

:)

JoMarch

I just returned from DL. Definitely stay in a Good Neighbor hotel. We cut a lot of cost that way. Also we did not do the DL dining plan and managed to not kill the budget.

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn and liked it alot. It was a down-the-block walking distance for us.

You mentioned the Best Western. We were talking to a bunch of people who stayed there before. They love it! The distance from BW to DL is shorter than the distance between the bus drop off at any WDW park to the entrance gate.

I would definitely stay in a hotel that's walking distance. That was the part I enjoyed at DL not waiting for a bus!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom