Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

halltd

I'll be honest and say when I first saw the round tubes going up and it was evident that standing seam metal was out of the question, that I thought this was going to be a horrible idea. But, now that they've gotten 98% of the wrinkles out of the two sections that are up, I think it actually looks very convincing. However, if there's even one wrinkle, the jig is up. So, they better get them ALL out and hope they stay out!

I'm cautiously optimistic now that this is still going to turn out very nice.

Then again, anything is better than what was there before. :)

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I'm just curious why they would put the fabric on first before painting the structure lattice that runs up the dome dividing each section.

Wouldn't it makes sense to paint that first then put the tarps?

raymusiccity

I'll be honest and say when I first saw the round tubes going up and it was evident that standing seam metal was out of the question, that I thought this was going to be a horrible idea. But, now that they've gotten 98% of the wrinkles out of the two sections that are up, I think it actually looks very convincing. However, if there's even one wrinkle, the gig is up. So, they better get them ALL out and hope they stay out!

I'm cautiously optimistic now that this is still going to turn out very nice.

Then again, anything is better than what was there before. :)

Well, 'if there's even one wrinkle' :

image.jpeg

:)

mm121

I'm still and always have been surprised that they didn't completely reskin PH. I thought it would get a totally new facade, I mean it is. But I never thought they'd build on top of the old one
yea thats kinda surprising, though the shape was a bit different with the design carved into the stucko
I guess at some point they will have to install the observatory's "doors". Unless they've been cut from the plan.

OrlHero.jpg
guessing cut which is unfortunate

really not a fan of the "fabric" covering

i wonder if maybe its a structural decision to use fabric instead of covering it with metal
I thought they were going to be blue like the art or is that just lighting

pretty sure its just lighting at night judging from the concept art

G00fyDad

I was under the impression (remember, I know nothing of construction) that they were putting the fabric there as a "backing" of sorts and were planning on spraying a fiberglass or something onto it to give it a more permanent and solid look.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I did pay attention...
a. Teflon doesn't last forever but hopefully longer than a Sun-setter Awning.
b. There is nothing in the documentation that says how long the fabric can last in certain elements. Sure it has a heat rating, but it is more cost efficient than a hard-cover top for the PH dome?

PTFE fiberglass coating is chemically inert, capable of withstanding temperatures from -100°F to +450°F (-73°C to +232°C). The low-surface free energy of the material creates a surface which is readily cleaned by rainwater. It is also completely immune to UV degradation. This unique combination of inertness, thermal stability and surface properties make PTFE-coated fabric membrane ideal for projects requiring superior weather and fire resistance. PTFE fiberglass structures have been constructed around the world with acceptance by British, French, Italian, Australian, Japanese and German National Standards, as well as guidelines set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).

PTFE fiberglass is additionally Energy Star and Cool Roof Rating Council certified. During scientific tests of its solar properties, it was discovered that PTFE fiberglass membranes reflect as much as 73 percent of the sun’s energy while holding just seven percent on its exterior surface. Certain grades of PTFE fiberglass can absorb 14 percent of the sun’s energy while allowing 13 percent of natural daylight and seven percent of re-radiated energy (solar heat) to transmit through.

Ismael Flores

yea thats kinda surprising, though the shape was a bit different with the design carved into the stucko

guessing cut which is unfortunate

really not a fan of the "fabric" covering

i wonder if maybe its a structural decision to use fabric instead of covering it with metal

pretty sure its just lighting at night judging from the concept art

Ah yes it does look like lighting, hadn't really paid attention much to the art. I just remembered it being blue. Thanks

wdizneew

PTFE fiberglass coating is chemically inert, capable of withstanding temperatures from -100°F to +450°F (-73°C to +232°C). The low-surface free energy of the material creates a surface which is readily cleaned by rainwater. It is also completely immune to UV degradation. This unique combination of inertness, thermal stability and surface properties make PTFE-coated fabric membrane ideal for projects requiring superior weather and fire resistance. PTFE fiberglass structures have been constructed around the world with acceptance by British, French, Italian, Australian, Japanese and German National Standards, as well as guidelines set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).

PTFE fiberglass is additionally Energy Star and Cool Roof Rating Council certified. During scientific tests of its solar properties, it was discovered that PTFE fiberglass membranes reflect as much as 73 percent of the sun’s energy while holding just seven percent on its exterior surface. Certain grades of PTFE fiberglass can absorb 14 percent of the sun’s energy while allowing 13 percent of natural daylight and seven percent of re-radiated energy (solar heat) to transmit through.

To sum it up: Science!

njDizFan

Is this type of fabric completely opaque or does it allow for lighting to come through. If that's the case perhaps a lighting element underneath would make the dome appear to glow. And with the proper LEDs thy could change the color for season or continuously

janiak1285

I did pay attention...
a. Teflon doesn't last forever but hopefully longer than a Sun-setter Awning.
b. There is nothing in the documentation that says how long the fabric can last in certain elements. Sure it has a heat rating, but it is more cost efficient than a hard-cover top for the PH dome?

PTFE coated fiberglass is very hardy, that's why many major sports arenas around the globe use it for their roof systems. Look at the Arizona Cardinals or Dallas Cowboy facilities as examples. Both have fiberglass roof systems. What hurts fabrics is normally UV rays, well UV rays do very little to breakdown fiberglass over time making it a great exterior material. Fiberglass also when woven for this application has a very high tensile and tear strength making it durable to handle Florida storms. This material probably has a 20-25 year minimum life expectancy. The strength and life of this product comes from the underlying fiberglass, the Teflon just helps to reduce the amount of debris that sticks on the surface helping to reduce maintenance.

janiak1285

I was under the impression (remember, I know nothing of construction) that they were putting the fabric there as a "backing" of sorts and were planning on spraying a fiberglass or something onto it to give it a more permanent and solid look.

No this fabric is made out of a PTFE coated woven fiberglass, it is the final dome covering

janiak1285

Is this type of fabric completely opaque or does it allow for lighting to come through. If that's the case perhaps a lighting element underneath would make the dome appear to glow. And with the proper LEDs thy could change the color for season or continuously

It could, depends on exactly what they ordered but you can get this in a translucent design. Not sure if this particular materail is or not, I'd lean towards no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom