Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

articos

It looks very extensive, I don't know much about construction but it seems like it would've been easier to start from scratch.
As far as the dome goes, compared to rebuilding or redoing the outer skin, although it is complicated, adding a facade frame with a coated outer wrap is inexpensive and easy. Otherwise it involves rerouting a lot of mechanical systems, removing the current skin and exterior lighting, reframing and refinishing the building. This way all they did was redo the exterior vents, left everything else in place and essentially "wrapped" the building.The frame was complicated, but still not as bad as the above.

Disneykings

Photo update as of Sunday, August 28. Workmen were "stretching" the outer skin today at Plant Hollywood, working from the top down. Difficult to see in this photo, but there are two workmen on each side, partially hidden by the frame. I spoke with a construction supervisor on the ground. This is the final covering, an outer skin made of Teflon-coated fiberglass. It will be stretched tight with the "ribs" showing just enough (see top of skin in photo below).

View attachment 157818

Thats great news for our October trip if there fitting the final roof covering. Just wish we could see how close to being complete it is inside.

peter11435

With the shape, it's entirely custom, so it's an expensive rebuild. I am surprised at how "budget friendly" they're being though. It will end up costing more in the future.
How different is this product from what was stretched over the frames for the story book circus tents?

Kpal2490

Here's a photo from right now. They're currently putting up a second section of the fabric.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 192

build_it

Based on how storybook circus has held up with its bright colors, I don't see any reason this would not look good for quite some time. Even though others seem to think this is a cheap way to go, I think it is a very creative and smart way to go. The original PH was not a nice surface (multiple levels, stucco or synthetic material, not designed to be attached to) where they would have to ring the sphere with an attachment surface that provides a solid mounting situation. And they would still have to deal with all the vents, etc. which would provide a visual intrusion, chance for leaks, and add to the install cost. I think they have solved a plethora of problems going this route. As a construction manager, I'd be thrilled with this solution. Bolt metal to metal, attach and stretch, will look good when stretched and properly trimmed, and should hold up well over time.

Bonus - if you wanted to ever do a graphic overlay on a building, you could attach new material pre-printed with a graphic. Could provide some cool opportunities down the road. I bet you could also do projection mapping to this nice smooth grey surface.

RSoxNo1

Photo update as of Sunday, August 28. Workmen were "stretching" the outer skin today at Plant Hollywood, working from the top down. Difficult to see in this photo, but there are two workmen on each side, partially hidden by the frame. I spoke with a construction supervisor on the ground. This is the final covering, an outer skin made of Teflon-coated fiberglass. It will be stretched tight with the "ribs" showing just enough (see top of skin in photo below).

View attachment 157818
I'd imagine probably comparable to the Storybook Circus tents?

articos

How different is this product from what was stretched over the frames for the story book circus tents?
Don't know. Will have to look into it.
I work for a textile company and we manufacture the exact same material they are using for the skin, heck for all I know know this is our product. Anyway, I can tell you it is not cheap stuff.
Definitely not cheap material
Based on how storybook circus has held up with its bright colors, I don't see any reason this would not look good for quite some time. Even though others seem to think this is a cheap way to go, I think it is a very creative and smart way to go. The original PH was not a nice surface (multiple levels, stucco or synthetic material, not designed to be attached to) where they would have to ring the sphere with an attachment surface that provides a solid mounting situation. And they would still have to deal with all the vents, etc. which would provide a visual intrusion, chance for leaks, and add to the install cost. I think they have solved a plethora of problems going this route. As a construction manager, I'd be thrilled with this solution. Bolt metal to metal, attach and stretch, will look good when stretched and properly trimmed, and should hold up well over time.

Bonus - if you wanted to ever do a graphic overlay on a building, you could attach new material pre-printed with a graphic. Could provide some cool opportunities down the road. I bet you could also do projection mapping to this nice smooth grey surface.
The tents have had show quality issues.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just wondering if one of the strategies with this fabric covering is that instead of trying to deal with cleaning the surface, they can just replace that wrap periodically to restore a new look.

It was obvious that maintenance on the old PH exterior was a big problem. It never looked good.

djkidkaz

Just wondering if one of the strategies with this fabric covering is that instead of trying to deal with cleaning the surface, they can just replace that wrap periodically to restore a new look.

It was obvious that maintenance on the old PH exterior was a big problem. It never looked good.

But Disney constantly refurbishes the attractions. It seems like it would be easier to power wash and paint the exterior than it would to order new tarps and remove and install them. But who knows, I'll wait and see what it looks like.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But Disney constantly refurbishes the attractions. It seems like it would be easier to power wash and paint the exterior than it would to order new tarps and remove and install them. But who knows, I'll wait and see what it looks like.
But experience over the years has shown that PH could not be kept in great condition, for whatever reason.

janiak1285

What's the lifespan on the product?

I don't know exactly, I'm an IE not a CE, but a long long time, this stuff is pretty much immune to UV rays which is what degrades your materials. We weave it and coat it with the PTFE (Teflon) then someone else cuts it and forms it into the panels you see. This same family of products is what the bread baking trays at Subway are made out of. Couple examples of exterior building uses would be the roofs on Dallas Cowboys and the Arizona Cardinals stadiums. Both of these are PTFE fiberglass material

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom