PizzeRizzo Closing or Receiving Menu Changes?

Cmdr_Crimson

Maybe as of now it's part of the Budget cuts that have been throwing around....Perhaps there will be a spike when everyone and their wookie are being pushed into the tunnel and perhaps they are considering better options to make it more appealing to the guests...

What dissapoints me is why has Disney made the Muppets so obscure now? They remove any bit of existence in DCA, They make 2 new movies, a Talk-to-the-camera-office based show, a small balcony show in Liberty square, Finally make the original 3D film in Digital 3D, Remove all the fun theming around Muppet Plaza, Hardly have any merchandise when the Back side of Stage 1 has been Muppet-ized , and make a restaurant to Rizzo only wanting to close it down.....It seems like Disney just doesn't have any clue what they want to do with them...

And this is how Today's park visitor is like when they see this in the corner...
9316411aa7a90af6dc2d20bc75cef77b.jpg

righttrack

Maybe as of now it's part of the Budget cuts that have been throwing around....Perhaps there will be a spike when everyone and their wookie are being pushed into the tunnel and perhaps they are considering better options to make it more appealing to the guests...

What dissapoints me is why has Disney made the Muppets so obscure now? They remove any bit of existence in DCA, They make 2 new movies, a Talk-to-the-camera-office based show, a small balcony show in Liberty square, Finally make the original 3D film in Digital 3D, Remove all the fun theming around Muppet Plaza, Hardly have any merchandise when the Back side of Stage 1 has been Muppet-ized , and make a restaurant to Rizzo only wanting to close it down.....It seems like Disney just doesn't have any clue what they want to do with them...

And this is how Today's park visitor is like when they see this in the corner...
9316411aa7a90af6dc2d20bc75cef77b.jpg

I think they just don't know what they have and how to deal with it. The Muppet Show was a sarcastic look at showbiz from behind the scenes. They took away a lot of the sardonic humor in new editions of it. The movies, most of them, were eh. Then the took the original series, and created a wonderfully imaginative fake reality show like The Office, literally taking the original show into the 2010s and they cancel it rather than promote it properly. When people criticized it for being "too adult" they toned it way down. The only publicity they got was the whole Kermit leaving Miss Piggy for a younger, more attractive pig, Denise. The Muppet Show was never a kids show. It was made for adults.

The best thing they did with The Muppets, since the original show, is what they've done in the Liberty Square windows.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Muppet Show was never a kids show. It was made for adults.
The original pitch was by far the best selling point for them..

The best thing they did with The Muppets, since the original show, is what they've done in the Liberty Square windows.
And they missed a Golden opportunity for Statler and Waldorf to heckle the guests....
tenor.gif

MickeyMinnieMom

I think they just don't know what they have and how to deal with it. The Muppet Show was a sarcastic look at showbiz from behind the scenes. They took away a lot of the sardonic humor in new editions of it. The movies, most of them, were eh. Then the took the original series, and created a wonderfully imaginative fake reality show like The Office, literally taking the original show into the 2010s and they cancel it rather than promote it properly. When people criticized it for being "too adult" they toned it way down. The only publicity they got was the whole Kermit leaving Miss Piggy for a younger, more attractive pig, Denise. The Muppet Show was never a kids show. It was made for adults.

Agree 100%! I really wish they’d try to go back to the original more, but the shows in MK are definitely the closest. My son has a shirt with Sam the Eagle that says “great moments in history - but just the American parts”. :-D

Timothy_Q

I agree that Disney doesn't really know how to manage the Muppets

But it's not like they haven't tried recently.
Part of the reason they're falling behind is because current audiences in general aren't that interested in them anymore (judging by box office returns and tv ratings, the only thing that actually matters in the executives' eyes)

Disney tried 3 different approaches recently, 2 of which failed.

The 2 movies (The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted)
The more adult-oriented tv show (the muppets (2015))
And now the preschool approach (Muppet Babies)

It actually amazes me that they're still trying.
Most brands don't get so many chances

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I love Statler and Waldorf! They're my favorite muppets. I wish they put them in the otherwise awesome LS show.

I think what would be funny is a show with statler and waldorf reviewing Disney movie clips in a funny sarcastic way

gosh there are so many good things Disney could/should do with the muppets… but they can't seem to figure it out for some reason. muppet babies for the kiddies and the muppet show (old style with special guests, etc.) for the older kids and adults

TJJohn12

...What I'd like to see is a live stage show replace Muppet Vision, similar to what's been done at the Hollywood Bowl and the 02 Arena. Record the voices of the Muppet performers and train the heck out of some puppeters and give us a live Muppet show in the Muppet Theatre. Why won't it happen? Disney is moving away from paying performers....

No need to look to the Bowl or O2 to find the perfect model for this. Great Moments in History is exactly this - you're just asking for a fully realized version of a show they are already piloting. To me, that actually bodes well for this sort of creation (at least in terms of feasibility - not funding).

Now, I will defend MV:3D to the death, so let's just put it somewhere else please. ;-)

Rodan75

I think part of the issue with managing the Muppets, is where it is currently housed. It was in the games group, then moved to Consumer Products and now looks like it is in the new Parks, Experiences and CP group. It isn't being managed like an IP within the Studios or Television divisions.

I would think that Chapek would want to leverage this IP more, since it is one of the few he controls.

tallica

This all stemmed from a Disboards post (not sure I can link to it but I'll try)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/pizzerizzo-closing.3707967/

Jackie Gailey over at WDWInfo posted a follow up article sourcing the original post:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...eys-hollywood-studios-getting-ready-to-close/

The gist of it sounds like a bus driver rumor but it has the restaurant closing on or around October 20th. Have any of our other usual sources for Hub info seen this?
I can confirm this information. I personally heard the same exact story from a current long term PR cast member. It is closing permanently all employees including management are being deployed resort wide. At this time there are no plans for it to reopen and/or re purpose it . It has been losing money. Cutting operating hours did not work, so it was decided to shut the doors.

Last edited:

FullSailDan

Realistically, it’ll reopen in 14 months.

It's the new tortuga tavern, except if it were located behind pirates, and the food was microwaved frozen burritos. It's just not often thought of when pondering food options and there isn't enough foot traffic from muppets to drive people to it. I know Muppet's is controversial but I really don't believe the attraction has enough draw to drive people through the door. I vaguely remember eating at Pizza planet on my first trip but we were waiting for hunchback and it was raining. Otherwise, I really wouldn't have given it a second glance.

It'll operate seasonally when the place is slammed and it'll still only do a small amount of business.

ToTBellHop

It's the new tortuga tavern, except if it were located behind pirates, and the food was microwaved frozen burritos. It's just not often thought of when pondering food options and there isn't enough foot traffic from muppets to drive people to it. I know Muppet's is controversial but I really don't believe the attraction has enough draw to drive people through the door. I vaguely remember eating at Pizza planet on my first trip but we were waiting for hunchback and it was raining. Otherwise, I really wouldn't have given it a second glance.

It'll operate seasonally when the place is slammed and it'll still only do a small amount of business.
I agree. They’ll need it once Star Wars Land opens and the location starts to see heavy traffic. No one ventures back there now.

FullSailDan

The Stage 1 Company Store recently reopened, after being reimagined, and it could not be anymore generic. The flooring and cabinets remind me of an early 2000s Gap Kids and babygap store. There is absolutely no theme, just a merchandise space with standard fixtures.

If the signage was removed, then PizzeRizzo, too, would be generic; it is a quintessential Italian counter service restaurant with nods to a neighborhood pizzeria.

If the banners were removed from the exterior, then MuppetVision 3D would simply be the Grand Arts Theatre.

Muppet Courtyard became Grand Avenue.

I am no insider and have no knowledge of the future of PizzeRizzo and this courtyard, but this area could easily transform into another land in a short period of time because it largely exists in signage alone. There is no indication, in any guest space within this area, to suggest that the Muppets are permanent residents of Grand Avenue.

This is purely armchair Imagineering, but Grand Avenue is city enough to become Metroville.

I think this is actually the point. They want to slowly transition it away from a muppets themed area to a more hollywood/cityscape to blend with the rest of the parks "skeleton". Overtime, the muppets will continue to be stripped away, they'll turn the muppet theatre into a preview shop, stage show, etc. The park can't really afford to lose muppets now, but in 2 years maybe. I'd expect one mans dream and the animation courtyard to begin significant changes soon too.

Rodan75

I think this is actually the point. They want to slowly transition it away from a muppets themed area to a more hollywood/cityscape to blend with the rest of the parks "skeleton". Overtime, the muppets will continue to be stripped away, they'll turn the muppet theatre into a preview shop, stage show, etc. The park can't really afford to lose muppets now, but in 2 years maybe. I'd expect one mans dream and the animation courtyard to begin significant changes soon too.

They are also just removing studio theming from all of the stores.

I think it will open again on a regular basis once foot traffic is headed back in that direction. Before they closed off streets of America that area and restaurant always seemed busy. If it was just bad reviews, they would just change the food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom