PizzeRizzo Closing or Receiving Menu Changes?

brb1006

This is what is so weird about it. Out of WDW there is nothing else Muppet related at any other Disney parks..It's really sad that while Disney struggles to keep The Muppet side on life support Sesame Workshop on the other hand is building a new Sesame Street area a few miles up...
screen_shot_2018-05-02_at_10.34.17_am.png
And the only Sesame Street Theme Park in the US that's still active is Sesame Place in Pennsylvania.

brb1006

Muppets have lost their relevance, TBH. The only way they can make a return is if Disney ACTUALLY makes them return.

I've made SEVERAL people my age (Late teens/early twenties) watch their FIRST Muppets movie this year. And by several, I mean between 10 and 15 people. Introducing them to the 2010 movie, because it is the most entertaining one for new-time watchers.

Literally everyone my age on college campus are like "Muppets? Thats like, Elmo and kids stuff right?" or "I've never seen anything but I know of them."

They aren't relevant. The 2010 movie addresses the issue perfectly, and Disney honestly just left it off there after bank wasn't happening with the TV show or the sequel.
I'm still searching for that scene in the 2011 movie where The Muppets talk to a female exectuvie about how they aren't relevant anymore. But the Muppets try to prove that they are still active even after years of being separated.

Cmdr_Crimson

And the only Sesame Street Theme Park in the US that's still active is Sesame Place in Pennsylvania.

Sea World parks has rights from Sesame Workshop to utilize their characters throughout there parks...With Safari & Forest of Fun in both Busch Gardens parks and the Bay of Play and the New Sesame Street in the Sea World parks...

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm still searching for that scene in the 2011 movie where The Muppets talk to a female exectuvie about how they aren't relevant anymore. But the Muppets try to prove that they are still active even after years of being separated.

They did that same thing in the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie....It's an old cliche for TV shows to jump to the big screen to find out if they are Relevant in this day in age...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's also kinda amusing that myself (and many others in the Muppet Fandom) assume that Rizzo is going to be the only one of Steve Whitmire's characters who isn't replace but rather we'll just see the character phased out. Steve was fired a year and a half ago. Minor characters he played like Lips and Link have already found new (better) performers. Rizzo? Not so much as a peep about Rizzo. I have a strong feeling we won't be seeing the character again.
It's ironic that Disney rethemed a restaurant around a character it would do away with two years later. Yeeeesh.

Are you claiming that Disney does things with little-to-no forethought? ;) :cautious:

ppete1975

Muppets have lost their relevance, TBH. The only way they can make a return is if Disney ACTUALLY makes them return.

I've made SEVERAL people my age (Late teens/early twenties) watch their FIRST Muppets movie this year. And by several, I mean between 10 and 15 people. Introducing them to the 2010 movie, because it is the most entertaining one for new-time watchers.

Literally everyone my age on college campus are like "Muppets? Thats like, Elmo and kids stuff right?" or "I've never seen anything but I know of them."

They aren't relevant. The 2010 movie addresses the issue perfectly, and Disney honestly just left it off there after bank wasn't happening with the TV show or the sequel.
The big problem there was that Jason segel didn't continue what he started. I feel he understood what the muppets were and how they could be used. After he was done with the one movie, they had no idea what to do. If they could have kept him on board I think youd see a different landscape. Honestly without him I don't think you would have had a muppet movie (let alone 2) a tv show, a streaming show coming, or the muppets in history.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah, Disney has given the Muppets a pretty good shot at becoming a big, relevant franchise again. I love the Muppets and I hope they find an audience, but in the last decade there's been 2 movies, a long running web series, a young kids tv show, an adult tv show, a new restaurant in Studios, a new street show in Magic Kingdom, and featured Muppets alongside Star Wars and Marvel as a pillar of Disney in the trailer for Wreck-it-Ralph.

Disney has been trying to make Muppets happen. They've tried from many different angles. They haven't abandoned the Muppets. But the people who love Muppets are the same people who already did.

Magenta Panther

Yeah, Disney has given the Muppets a pretty good shot at becoming a big, relevant franchise again. I love the Muppets and I hope they find an audience, but in the last decade there's been 2 movies, a long running web series, a young kids tv show, an adult tv show, a new restaurant in Studios, a new street show in Magic Kingdom, and featured Muppets alongside Star Wars and Marvel as a pillar of Disney in the trailer for Wreck-it-Ralph.

Disney has been trying to make Muppets happen. They've tried from many different angles. They haven't abandoned the Muppets. But the people who love Muppets are the same people who already did.

Bingo!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I would even add on to this saying that the worst reception any of these have gotten from critics and Muppets fan is "OK" with nearly all of these being pretty well received. Disney has done right by the Muppets and yet they are still more or less a niche thing.

PizzaPlanet

Personally, Rizzo was to be a draw IMO. DHS and Disney knew once they started SW:GE construction that the whole back end of DHS was going to be dead and have little to no draw. So they did some revamp in Muppets area to make it more updated and revamped the restaurant to have a Muppets feel in hopes to draw some traffic in that area.
I don't think this is true at all, the restaurant has been operating on reduced hours since the day it opened. I remember wondering why they spent money on the neon lighting if it was never open for dinner.

To me this always seemed like a location that they upgraded and expanded in anticipation for Galaxy's Edge, but in the meantime only kept it open at lunch to save on operating costs. But now that budget cuts are happening everywhere, it made sense for them to close it entirely until they need the space fully utilized.

doctornick

I dunno. Muppet Babies seems to be doing well among the junior set and will likely spawn another whole generation familiar with the characters.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
This is what is so weird about it. Out of WDW there is nothing else Muppet related at any other Disney parks..It's really sad that while Disney struggles to keep The Muppet side on life support Sesame Workshop on the other hand is building a new Sesame Street area a few miles up...
screen_shot_2018-05-02_at_10.34.17_am.png
I’m not sure if I’m in the minority here, but I far prefer the Sesame Street muppets over the Muppets muppets. (Except for Waldorf and Statler. I love those guys.)

And for sure, I’m in the minority when I say that Hubby and I like PizzeRizzo’s. A lot.

We’ve eaten there numerous times and the food was always fresh, flavourful, and there was tons of seating. My only complaint ... coldest building on property. So cold you could almost see your breath.

Jon81uk

LOL I just mean the whole sea world concept. After Blackfish, and just the way people feel about animal exploitation (look at circus's) I'm really not sure what their identity will be. A water based zoo with amusement park rides?

That's what it already is? SeaWorld has always been a zoo/aquarium with some amusement rides.
SeaWorld are adding the sort of coasters that Disney are Universal aren't, to separate themselves from the other Orlando parks. Using the IP they have (Sesame Street) to create new kids areas too. There will be less focus on the stadium shows going forward I think but the smaller aquarium and zoo displays will remain.
Don't forget Disney also operate a safari park / zoo and an aquarium.

Jon81uk

and that's also why the Hollywood Bowl (LA) and The O2 Arena (London) shows worked, the same people who have always loved the Muppets really really wanted to see them live.

ppete1975

That's what it already is? SeaWorld has always been a zoo/aquarium with some amusement rides.
SeaWorld are adding the sort of coasters that Disney are Universal aren't, to separate themselves from the other Orlando parks. Using the IP they have (Sesame Street) to create new kids areas too. There will be less focus on the stadium shows going forward I think but the smaller aquarium and zoo displays will remain.
Don't forget Disney also operate a safari park / zoo and an aquarium.
My point being more about the rebranding and will it work. For decades Sea world was the stadium shows with the killer whales and those shows. I'm just not sure how it will work. It might not miss a beat, it might do better, or it might never find its way. It looks like this has been a good year esp after 2016-2017 so hopefully they have figured it out.
1540477648083.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom