Pixar's Onward

General Mayhem

Alright I am getting frustrated at this point, Disney announced that the soundtrack for Onward was going to be released today February 28th. I cannot find a trace of it anywhere online what so ever. What gives?

General Mayhem

Just saw the film last night, I personally loved it. I do think though that it is a film that will satisfy a niche audience and not everyone. This is not a film that Pixar fans are going to particularly enjoy because it really doesn't feel like a Pixar film. It however is extremely touching, heartfelt, and I really enjoyed it. The Simpsons short before the film was by and large pointless. It largely felt like a typical Pixar short with a Simpsons filter on it. My biggest problem with the short was the animation was pretty cheap looking. Overall I love Onward but it does feel like the Treasure Planet of Pixar Animation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just saw the film last night, I personally loved it. I do think though that it is a film that will satisfy a niche audience and not everyone. This is not a film that Pixar fans are going to particularly enjoy because it really doesn't feel like a Pixar film. It however is extremely touching, heartfelt, and I really enjoyed it. The Simpsons short before the film was by and large pointless. It largely felt like a typical Pixar short with a Simpsons filter on it. My biggest problem with the short was the animation was pretty cheap looking. Overall I love Onward but it does feel like the Treasure Planet of Pixar Animation.
I mostly agree...though good dinosaur is clearly treasure planet 😉

Onward isn’t going to make a huge box office gate...but it’s a really well made movie and will develop a cult following in time.

I put it in the Wall-E category...tons of heart. More adult focused.

BrianLo

I liked it way better than I thought I would! Maybe squeaks into their top ten if you don't count every single Toy Story film.

More How to Train your Dragon than Shrek (both of which are good in their own ways). But all of which is to say the majority of the 'gags' that people have been put off by in the trailers were pretty much all there was in the movie. The rest of the movie is higher brow. In Pixar fashion it actually has quite a lot of heart and a sort of obvious, but touching conclusion.

Pixar now has quite the mature catalogue of movies that help process death, loss, grief and acceptance. This movie in particular I think quite masterfully touched on some pretty heavy topics of how children process these things and can build up a lot of guilt and self-blame.

Definitely not a Good Dinosaur (which felt like they ran out of a story after having committed to animating the whole thing).

Plus, if you have any passing interest in D&D this is basically your movie.

General Mayhem

I mostly agree...though good dinosaur is clearly treasure planet 😉

Onward isn’t going to make a huge box office gate...but it’s a really well made movie and will develop a cult following in time.

I put it in the Wall-E category...tons of heart. More adult focused.
When I compared it to Treasure Planet I didn't mean it in a sense that it will be the company's biggest failure. What I meant is this is a film that deals with more mature themes which both deal with an issue of a absent father. Also both films have an interesting setting and take a few risks that both work and don't work. I feel like this will be more of a cult classic like Treasure Planet turned out to be long after it's release. Again I adore the film, but I can understand why it most likely won't attract a big audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom