Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

kong1802

It will be 2-3 years for the Coco overlay if it happens.

True. But I still don't see Coco anywhere near the ice Princess chronicles.

You had hoards of tiny ones marching in blue dresses waiting 5 hours for just a glimpse at a blonde braid.

Then 2-3 years later (not sure on time line), the project was started.

I haven't been to the World since the release of Coco, so perhaps there's a similar war a brooing.

I just don't see it.

tissandtully

I just saw the film again when I was visiting friends and family back in Australia a few days ago and one of my friends said precisely that she wanted a little Dante spirit guide. Weirdly, though, I looked and literally did not see a single piece of Coco merchandise anywhere beyond the soundtrack. Just more Frozen, Cars, Finding Dory, Jungle Book, etc. Interestingly, when I saw the film, the theatre was almost full but there was not a single child there! I don't know how much this differs from the US, but I did wonder whether Disney figures this film skews older and therefore is a non-starter as far as merchandise is concerned. I'm going to be spending the next few weeks in Mexico City, so I might look around over there.

I'd be very disappointed if this didn't happen. This seems like the one tie-in that would make the pavilion more culturally appropriate than leaving it as is. If they made a decent effort, I think a lot of people in Mexico would be pretty excited about going and experiencing a Coco ride.
I've seen Dante in the spirit guide colors at the gift shop at AK and Disney stores.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
True. But I still don't see Coco anywhere near the ice Princess chronicles.

You had hoards of tiny ones marching in blue dresses waiting 5 hours for just a glimpse at a blonde braid.

Then 2-3 years later (not sure on time line), the project was started.

I haven't been to the World since the release of Coco, so perhaps there's a similar war a brooing.

I just don't see it.

For your lack of faith in Coco, you must now cry...

Sir_Cliff

Are we firing up Fire Mountain again?

Is the Brazil pavilion a go?

I still have a hard time seeing the Mexico ride go full on Coco. I don't think its a bad idea, but it took a global phenomenon like 2-3 years to get a retrofitted ride.
Well, Disney works in mysterious ways. Spending so much on such a low capacity ride several years after the film came out was certainly not an optimal response to cashing in on Frozen's popularity in the parks. However, we're about to get a Ratatouille ride based on a film that's far older and had a similar amount of success to Coco and the last Mexico pavilion redo was tied into The Three Caballeros, which wasn't even that successful when it came out in 1944. I guess the budget for the proposed Coco redo is likely a lot higher, but they now seem to have flicked the switch for spending up big on new attractions for Epcot so the film may have just come along at the right time and be the right fit for the right park.

Then again, I seem to remember Iger emphasising that the focus would be on integrating film franchises into the parks going forward and Coco is certainly not that. Adding to that, though, I think he specifically stated that Ratatouille was not a franchise!

It seems they don't even know internally whether this is going to happen, so we're all just speculating.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
martin by any chance do you have a photo of the sign announcing norway when it was coming soon or under construction? Thanks
I’ve no idea how, but somehow I remembered!

764A8978-51CB-4514-8DED-91274FEDA97D.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom