Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Jedi14

Just saw Coco at a preview, debatable on how well it will do. It did have a very Mexico pavilion flare to the artwork, but the story was hit and miss. Act I was lame, Act II was better, Act III was the best, but the whole enchilada was a B-.
The Frozen featurette was great though.
The Frozen short seems to be there so it will be a financial success

fngoofy

Thanks for the info. If you wouldn't mind could tell how long the movie is, how many songs are there, and with what other Pixar movie would you put Coco in par with?
Songs: I think there were 4? But they were more in the sense of "songs" as opposed to exposition.
Par with: It's pretty unique.
Length: Well Frozen was almost a half hour I think.
For Coco it's harder to say. After it was over we filled out forms, then we were selected to take part in a focus group of about 30 people were we did a question and answer session that lasted like 45 minutes.
So over 90 but less that 120 (sorry, it was an overall 4 hour experience, so perception is off.)

fngoofy

Curious how you saw a movie that the director claimed yesterday will not be finished in another 2 weeks? Even variety and other outlets were only able to see the see the first act due to the rest of the film not being ready?

I swear to god we saw it. There were about 8-10 scenes where the background would be blocky from certain camera angles, etc. They told us this up front so it wouldn't phase us.

As to how I got to go, my co-worker saw a movie two weeks ago at a local AMC multiplex where they were giving out a flyer that said:
-It would be a Disney film
-It would have a Frozen featurette beforehand
-To register on a website
-Not to bring any phones or recording devices

So we showed up at 12:00 at the AMC multiplex and were about the 40th in line and:
-We gave them the flyer, they marked us off on a registration sheet
-We went through wands and bag checks any time we went into the theater
-We got handed surveys to be opened after the show
-We sat towards the front and a gentleman asked if we would take part in a focus group afterward (me, my wife and our child.)
-We were told that there would be animators there to listen to the feedback (we saw the animators/producers, they sat behind us in a reserved section and then hung back a row or two during the Q/A later.)
-We saw both Frozen and Coco back to back
-Filled out the forms
- Did a 45min Q&A focus group with about 30 people total

We had a good time and would do it again, absolutely.

p.s.
This was a whole theater packed with families. Like a medium size AMC theater, so 16 seats to a row and 20 rows at least. So that's......320 people (though majority were kids, you could only have two adults and up to 3 kids for each flyer/registration.)

Last edited:

DisneyFan18

Songs: I think there were 4? But they were more in the sense of "songs" as opposed to exposition.
Par with: It's pretty unique.
Length: Well Frozen was almost a half hour I think.
For Coco it's harder to say. After it was over we filled out forms, then we were selected to take part in a focus group of about 30 people were we did a question and answer session that lasted like 45 minutes.
So over 90 but less that 120 (sorry, it was an overall 4 hour experience, so perception is off.)

Thanks for answering. Did you and your family enjoyed the movie? And quality and story wise to which Pixar films would you compare it?

fngoofy

Thanks for answering. Did you and your family enjoyed the movie? And quality and story wise to which Pixar films would you compare it?

During the first 20min my wife said "can we go" (like I said, the first act is the weakest, partially due to the content.) Then the second act was faster paced and had more exposition, so we settled in. Then the third act had a good payoff and had us heavily emotional.
So, it was similar to Up in the emotional dept. (though not a constant bummer like Up (liked it, but not one I'd watch again.))
Quality wise? It's a PIXAR flick, quality guaranteed.

So, overall we enjoyed it. I think we'd give it a B/B- based on a Disney scale. A+ compared to anything else out there.
I'd give it an 83% on the RottenTomatoes scale.

Here's some more.
Pros
-Story
-Animation

Cons
Story
Some of the characters

Now nothing but praise for the Frozen (I was going to say short, but its almost 30 min) featurette.
I'd give it 100% on the Tomato-meter

Story is 20% touching, 80% fun.

And as I mentioned in another thread, they refer to Norway when talking about Christmas traditions.

Lets Respect

During the first 20min my wife said "can we go" (like I said, the first act is the weakest, partially due to the content.) Then the second act was faster paced and had more exposition, so we settled in. Then the third act had a good payoff and had us heavily emotional.
So, it was similar to Up in the emotional dept. (though not a constant bummer like Up (liked it, but not one I'd watch again.))
Quality wise? It's a PIXAR flick, quality guaranteed.

So, overall we enjoyed it. I think we'd give it a B/B- based on a Disney scale. A+ compared to anything else out there.
I'd give it an 83% on the RottenTomatoes scale.

Here's some more.
Pros
-Story
-Animation

Cons
Story
Some of the characters

Now nothing but praise for the Frozen (I was going to say short, but its almost 30 min) featurette.

And as I mentioned in another thread, they refer to Norway when talking about Christmas traditions.

So...the dog turns out to be dead right?

Just kidding ;) Interesting stuff!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't see it being a big movie tbh there doesn't seem to be a big hype or excitement around it. I don't even think a lot of people know it's coming out or even exists. But this could be really fun to update the Mexico pavilion. The Fiesta Tour ride is cute but could definitely use an upgrade.

You should visit literally any college campus or elementary school and ask the students if they want to see coco. :)

DisneyFan18

I don't have to do that to know what the world is talking about or not talking about lol.
Personally, I believe that at the end it will depend on the quality of film, because of it’s good, then it will receive word of mouth and be praised as well. And the box office predictions tend to be high, so I wouldn’t expect to flop, unless it is a bad movie, which seems unlikely. And if I’m not mistaken, I believe Inside Out wasn’t trending either.

Kailee

They're also 40+ year old animatronics. It cost them very little to install and imo, they only put them in so the ride doesn't look like a complete craphole compared to Frozen.

If they "just" put them in but they are 40 years old where were these animatronics originally? I'm curious

Magenta Panther

It's funny, but while I disliked "Frozen" the feature film - a LOT - I really liked the little short "Frozen Fever". Bouncy and cute. The Frozen Featurette looks appealing too. Anyway, thanks for your take on "Coco". I don't much like "Day of the Dead" stuff so I doubt I'll see it.

rethea

If they "just" put them in but they are 40 years old where were these animatronics originally? I'm curious

They're originally from the Mickey Mouse Revue at MK and were moved to Tokyo for its opening. That closed in 2009, so my best guess is that they were in some dusty warehouse until they came back to Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom