Pixar Place Questions

RSoxNo1

The concept for the Monster's Inc Coaster seemed impressive enough but I just don't think the ride should or will get built. It's not the appropriate ride concept for that park. That park needs a high capacity family friendly ride in Pixar Place. Something of the scope of the Little Mermaid would be ideal - it can absorb some of the Toy Story crowds and fill a gap in the attraction lineup that is heavily slanted towards attractions with height requirements.

NoChesterHester

As to your third statement, I am intrigued; did you have something generally in mind, or a particular movie that you would like to see highlighted?

Not necessarily a particular movie, but I love the concept of them continuing the "genre" theming to the park. It really needs a gentle shove of a couple hundred million dollars however to make it really sing again. Hollywood Studios had a strong theme and concept when it opened, it lost a lot of its identity when the working studio had to close up shop.

For example, I'd love to see them really continue the Pixar Place theme, but in order to do so some serious reconfiguration is in order. I'd like to see the whole western side of the park take on a general "animation" theme. Swallow up the animation courtyard to give it a proper entrance to this area, possibly a toontown type feel. I'd close the Backlot Tour, and overtake Lights! Motor! Blah! into this new area.

Grab Pizza Planet and move it over to its rightful place, Soundstage One. Make it an attraction all into itself and kids will go ga ga. We really don't need another attraction entrance next to Midway Mania. It is impossible to get through there as it is.

We haven't seen an Incredibles based show or ride and I would love to see a 3d Movie with in theater effects be added in an area themed to Syndrome's Island (where some of the backlot tour currently is. Pass under an arch and go to a smallish Carsland type area that encompases the LMA show. Change the show to be somewhat entertaining and themed to the Cars universe.

I'd also love to see something Monster's Inc, especially with the new movie coming out, but another coaster is really the last thing the Studios needs.

What they need is more along the lines of the concept of the toy story ride. It has a very broad appeal to both young and old.

^^THIS^^

THE reason in my opinion that TSM has such god awful lines is not that it is a groundbreaking attraction, but that it is the ONLY new attraction in the Studios with a universal appeal. There isn't nearly enough in the studios for the younger / older set. If some more family oriented (any age) attractions were added the wait times for TSM would level out to a more manageable level.

boufa

I would have to disagree with you about this. With Monsters University (Monsters Inc. 2) opening in 2013 I think a Monster's Inc. themed attraction/land would be great from a promotional standpoint.

This I did not realize (my mickey ears are flush with embarrassment.)

I stand by my opinion that for the most part coasters are a mistake at WDW (with exceptions). They simply do not tell the story, in particular if they are tied to a already know back story.

Family/broad appeal ride is the right answer, nearly everywhere.

CJR

Depending how Brave goes, I could see an awesome ride on the way. It would be nice to see a water ride go into DHS since it greatly lacks them. Maybe a log or raft ride.

It sounds to me like it would be just as beneficial to discontinue LMA and replace it with something else that doesn't require the need for so much space. The show's not the draw it once was. It still pulls in crowds, but it's not Beauty and the Beast that can last decades. DHS would be better off not needing so much space for the cars. I'd love to see a PotC stunt show personally.

Then they could close Indy and put in an Indy ride which would help balance the flow of the park more.

I stand by my opinion that for the most part coasters are a mistake at WDW (with exceptions). They simply do not tell the story, in particular if they are tied to a already know back story.

Family/broad appeal ride is the right answer, nearly everywhere.

True, but imagine this: A Peter Pan style dark ride where guests fly on doors with seats attached to them through the adventures of Monster's Inc and/or University. This could allow Disney the chance to tweak the system to be more accommodating than Peter Pan (add two more seats so the doors seat four people instead of two). With them flying, it'll be successful. People go on Peter Pan not because the scenes are better than SWSA, but because they fly. It would be the same for Monster's Inc. Don't think in terms of speed, but the effect of flying on a Monster's Inc door. It would be a family hit if done properly.

mimitchi33

I had this idea in my head ever since the plot of Cars 2 was announced: EPCOT should have a Cars 2 attraction in World Showcase where you race around the "world", just like in the movie! Does anyone agree with me on that?

Malvito

I had this idea in my head ever since the plot of Cars 2 was announced: EPCOT should have a Cars 2 attraction in World Showcase where you race around the "world", just like in the movie! Does anyone agree with me on that?

I'm not sure that an actual ride (if that is what you had in mind) would be feasible; the construction costs would be pretty hefty and they would definitely un-prettify the entire area enough to cause a lot of complaints. Still, it is quite possible that they could use the concept for something for the kids, <i>a la</i> the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure.

gallerie

Not sure if I understand the logic behind that one. All of the movies are increasingly aging; it's a matter of whether or not they are increasingly popular. Monsters, Inc. must be showing some pretty good legs if a ride is being planned around it.

Monsters University Movie is currently slated to open 6/21/13

Malvito

Monsters University Movie is currently slated to open 6/21/13

Admittedly, my initial point got lost in translation, that all of the movies are "aging." That is not preventing a Little Mermaid dark ride or a Snow White Mine Coaster.

(And, before anyone says it, I realize that the aforementioned Mine Coaster has not broken ground yet, but, from everything I have read, it seems to be far enough along the line to merit notice as more than just a pipe dream.)

ChuruyaSan

You forgot one thing. The HISTK Play Area would receive "a bug's life" makeover.

Another user said that the area would be like the a bug's land at DCA. They would have to remove It's Tough to be a Bug,relocate it and replace it with either:
  • Another Lion King ride, a 3D Movie
  • A gift shop, like the Mickey Hat at DHS
  • Some Tarzan ride.
  • Close the Tree of Life all together.
  • A ride based on The Jungle Book

Or maybe it will stay OR be used for special events, like Wonders of Life at EPCOT and the second level of Imagination Pavilion, when it was used for a Kim Possible thing.

There is/was a proposal for a sort of Radiator Springs Racers to come to Pixar Place and would require the removal of the Backlot area, though perhaps retaining the Catastrophe Canyon. Studios Catering Co. would also get rethemed unless I'm mistaken.

Don't laugh at me for this, but I think there should be a character dining thing there. Several Pixar characters will be there (Lotso, Mike, Sully, Doug the Dog (from Up), Remy, and Emile (whatever Remy's brother was called, I can't spell it correctly) for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, requiring the whole place to get REMODLED!

AEfx

No.

LOL.

I hate to be the "anti-Pixar guy", and the Studio's definitely need another "family friendly" attraction - but I hope to God it isn't based on a Pixar franchise.

We have Pixar stuff in every park. We even have multiple, similar rides based on the same films (Toy Story).

I like Pixar stuff. Pixar has made Disney a ton of money, and the movies are almost always very well received. But I'd much rather see an attraction based on a live-action Hollywood franchise, or at the least something new and original instead of Yet Another Pixar Ride Shoehorned In.

I heard about this. If it's in the style of DCA's Bug's Land, I'm all for it.

Another user said that the area would be like the a bug's land at DCA. They would have to remove It's Tough to be a Bug,relocate it and replace it with either:
  • Another Lion King ride, a 3D Movie
  • A gift shop, like the Mickey Hat at DHS
  • Some Tarzan ride.
  • Close the Tree of Life all together.
  • A ride based on The Jungle Book

Or maybe it will stay OR be used for special events, like Wonders of Life at EPCOT and the second level of Imagination Pavilion, when it was used for a Kim Possible thing.

I believe he was only talking about the theming of the playground. A Bug's Land has a similar look to the HISTK playground, however the whole land from DCA cannot fit into the area currently held by the playground.

Disney should announce pretty soon about this Pixar Place expansion.This could be the next Big "land" change after Fanastyland. Hollywood Studios needs this soon!

saxamoophone

(Copied from the recently made and closed thread)

I think it's pretty clear (looking at how everything was designed) that Pixar Place will expand to the South/East, "eating up" Backlot, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, and go to Streets of America.

Obviously Honey I Shrunk The Audience playground will becomes Bugs Life.

We all know about the Monsters Coaster that will take up the space next to Toy Story.

I purposed in the other thread that the Backlot tour is redone to be a "Backstage Tour of PIXAR" where the characters come to life. Think Universal's Tram tour in Hollywood where every few minutes you have a "Experience". The ride if VERY high capacity, and not *too* crazy expensive to run, so it makes sense to update rather than destroy.

The big question to me is what happens to LMA. I heard it's very expensive to maintain, probably more expensive than fantasmic from what I understand. While I think the show is VERY enjoyable, do you think they keep it (past a few more years)?

JEANYLASER

Actually, CARS 2, which is a great deal of fun and definitely worth seeing, would make for an interesting attraction, especially with its world-wide theme. It would be a fun way for a Pixer-themed area to have a James Bond-styled adventure ride without having to deal with the legalities inherent in trying to get the rights to Bond.

I agree with Malvito Cars 2 is a great idea! I love the Cars 2! i hope!

SleepingMonk

Cars 2 is one long, expensive failed commercial for merch. It's not even going to break even at the box office.

They need to distance themselves from that not build an attraction for it.

"In second place, Cars 2 sprang a leak. The Pixar sequel slowed 60 percent to an estimated $26.2 million ($32.1 million four-day). That was the steepest second-weekend drop yet for a Pixar movie and was significantly worse than WALL-E (off 48 percent) and the first Cars (off 44 percent) at the same point. With $123 million in 11 days, Cars 2's total was slightly ahead of Cars' $121 million at the 11-day mark, but attendance was worse."

http://boxofficemojo.com

El Grupo

Cars 2 is one long, expensive failed commercial for merch. It's not even going to break even at the box office.

They need to distance themselves from that not build an attraction for it.

"In second place, Cars 2 sprang a leak. The Pixar sequel slowed 60 percent to an estimated $26.2 million ($32.1 million four-day). That was the steepest second-weekend drop yet for a Pixar movie and was significantly worse than WALL-E (off 48 percent) and the first Cars (off 44 percent) at the same point. With $123 million in 11 days, Cars 2's total was slightly ahead of Cars' $121 million at the 11-day mark, but attendance was worse."

http://boxofficemojo.com

Though I agree that Cars 2 is primarily a promotional vehicle for merchandise, comments about its weak performance are probably a bit premature. The U.S. has been fickle at the theater this year with several movies not generating the expected revenue. Even Transformers' North American results have been considered less than stellar at $180 million. The foreign markets are behaving a bit differently.

For example, Box Office Mojo focused much of their reporting attention for POTC 4 on its weak domestic returns. On Stranger Tides will generate the least amount of the franchise's movies in the U.S. However, it is now the 3rd highest grossing film ever in foreign markets. Its global take is now $1.008 billion, making it the 7th highest grossing film overall. Within two weeks, it should overtake Alice in Wonderland. Much of the movie's box office success has been attributed to a higher percentage of revenue from 3D in some other countries.

In rather limited release, Cars 2 has already generated over $82 million at the box office in foreign markets, bringing the global total to $205 million in eleven days, or 44% of the original movie's final tally for its entire run. Though most of the major markets in Europe and Asia won't release the movie until at least the end of this month, early returns are good. Cars generated around $3.5 million during its entire run in Russia. Cars 2 delivered 2.5 times that amount in opening weekend there alone.

My guess is that Cars 2 will overtake Panda 2 in the foreign markets by early August, giving it a global total of over $550 million.

Kirk88

(Copied & pasted from another thread)

I agree with most of the other posts about HS. They need more 'family' rides like TSMM. Is Monster's Inc. the way to go (since they already have an attraction at MK) or is it time for the Incredibles? I like the Backlot idea. Would definitely be a big hit with the kids. Maybe they could integrate the Incredibles in to Catastrophe Canyon with a big rescue or something to that affect. Anyway they do it, John Ratzenburger (at least his voice) needs to have an appearance..... :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom