Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

FerretAfros

I've worked in the ADA compliance department for a large agency with dozens of parking garages totaling more than 50,000 spaces, so I'm well acquainted with ADA's requirements for these types of facilities. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like the garage's design does not meet code. ADA 2010 section 208.3.1 says:

... Where parking serves more than one accessible entrance, parking spaces...shall be dispersed and located on the shortest accessible route to the accessible entrances. ...

In this case the garage serves multiple accessible entrances, the security checkpoint at the trams and the pedestrian bridge. Although the tram loading is located on the ground level, the shortest accessible route is actually from the 2nd level, since there is no direct at-grade access from one side of the tram loop to the other (presumably, removing these sorts of conflict points was a goal for this project). The pedestrian bridge also connects at the 2nd level, so the accessible parking spaces don't necessarily need to be dispersed throughout the structure, but it's good practice to have a handful of spaces on each level for late arrivals after they've stopped directing traffic.

Having accessible parking located on the ground floor is not the shortest accessible route to any of the facilities served by the parking structure, and therefore does not meet ADA's requirements. Presumably this is an infrastructure problem that could be resolved by operational changes (reinstating the crosswalk), but would be better served in the long-run by relocating the accessible parking to the 2nd level. Although parking structures often have the accessible parking clustered on the ground floor, it's not unusual to have it on a different level if that's where the primary facility entrance is located.

Given how the Pixar Pals garage was rushed into construction, it's not inconceivable that parts of the intent didn't get relayed to the entire design team. However, it's surprising that nobody stopped to think about how it would function during the review processes from the design firm, client, or regulatory agencies overseeing it. In the world of construction problems, this is a relatively easy fix (signage and striping), but as built it's a major issue.

wowsmom

Entered through the Magic Way entry today. The 8 CMs standing by the umbrella waved at me to go up the ramp and I asked if there were ADA spaces up there and they said yes and I said that must be new since there weren't any 2 weeks ago and they said yes, they're up there now. Got up to Level 5 and, of course, no ADA spaces. But I did find a space on an end where nobody could park next to me, so that worked. But it made me think, what if I had a wheelchair and needed a super wide space and couldn't find one? Not cool.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Entered through the Magic Way entry today. The 8 CMs standing by the umbrella waved at me to go up the ramp and I asked if there were ADA spaces up there and they said yes and I said that must be new since there weren't any 2 weeks ago and they said yes, they're up there now. Got up to Level 5 and, of course, no ADA spaces. But I did find a space on an end where nobody could park next to me, so that worked. But it made me think, what if I had a wheelchair and needed a super wide space and couldn't find one? Not cool.
At least someone got to go up a ramp

DrAlice

Not cool at all. I hope you complained somewhere. Especially the "yeah it's there" blow you off routine. That's terrible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
you all keep saying ADA spaces - are you talking about the handicap parking spots that require a permit, or some other accommodation?

TP2000

They could have built another set of bathrooms at Pixar so one doesn't have to walk all the way to M&F and back.

Are you kidding?!? Bob Iger hosted the Wall Street quarterly profit call today and attendance was down 3% in the last quarter while spending was up 10%, and they only made $1.7 Billion in after-tax profit from just the Parks & Resorts division in the last three months.

You think they are made out of money and can afford to spend $500,000 or more to build extra bathrooms for paying customers?!?

You obviously don't understand how Bob Iger and Bob Chapek earn their multi-million dollar salary each year. :rolleyes:

You just need to hold it until you get home. Also, please consider subscribing to Disney+. Thanks!

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

You just need to hold it until you get home. Also, please consider subscribing to Disney+. Thanks!

Funny you should mention that. A local radio station is giving away tickets to the park. Nothing about Star Wars or Parking in the promo, but they do talk about being the first to access Disney+!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom