• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

Darkbeer1

That's where we've been sent both of the times we entered from Magic Way. Blue placard hanging but sent up to a higher level. It also happens most of the time when we enter Mickey & Friends...it's rare to be parked on the bottom level. Maybe it's because we usually come later in the day.
The question is, are ADA marked spaces on the upper levels of the new Pixar Pals structure, and if so, where?

To be honest, if the Incredibles parking is used, it should be for regular guests, or maybe just CM and Disney Vehicles, and not used by guests at all, due to the layout to enter/exit.

wowsmom

Advertisement
The question is, are ADA marked spaces on the upper levels of the new Pixar Pals structure, and if so, where?

To be honest, if the Incredibles parking is used, it should be for regular guests, or maybe just CM and Disney Vehicles, and not used by guests at all, due to the layout to enter/exit.
I have not seen any ADA marked spaces on levels 2 or 6 of the Pixar Pals structure (haven't been on the other levels). I think they blew it with putting no ADA spaces on other levels.

Ismael Flores

But if there was a break in the "Secure" wall, it would place guests on the opposite side of the trams, creating the big legal/safety issue of crossing the tram route. This is why there are two elevators, to place guests on the proper side for load/unload.

And if there are ADA spaces on upper levels, I haven't seen any, but I have only been on levels 2 and 6. Anyways, the CM's directing traffic aren't sending blue slipped guests that way.
but the crossing tram thing already happens and has happened since 2001 when Mickey and friends was built. They had a crossing from the large vehicle parking into the original load area. When the tram route mess starting changing and moved things around for security they had tram crossing zones and never heard anything about legal/safety issues. They also have a tram crossing zone now from the first level Mickey and friends area into the existing esplanade/new security zone. I fail to see how that has ever been a problem or is a problem now.

If crossing a tram route was such a legal/safety problem then why did they already design the area with a pedestrian tram crossing to begin with inside the secured area.

The way it was designed now, they have the main Tram route (double lane) with i believe three load zones. What I noticed only one load zone has a ADA ramp but could be wrong since i just saw them form a distance. Aside from that double lane tram route there is an elevated pathway just west of it used to separate the tram route from another drop off/pick up stop for ADA shuttle. I saw that being used the day i went. Guests that need t access that area need to cross thru the double lane tram route via a marked crossing path.

that is why it would have made sense to have a break away thru that wall. The shuttle load is right up against it and the tram crossing paths are already there. It would just be a matter of the CM's and security to enforce that entrance as ADA entrance only

here is a video that shows exactly what i am talking about. The shuttle load area with shuttles in place, The security person in middle of tram route that assists ADA people to cross the tram path to the shuttle area which is directly against the character wall with the supposed ADA parking stall right behind it.

A break away thru the secured wall with proper gate and security detail for ADA only should be no different and would solve the issue of the double elevators.

FerretAfros

I've worked in the ADA compliance department for a large agency with dozens of parking garages totaling more than 50,000 spaces, so I'm well acquainted with ADA's requirements for these types of facilities. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like the garage's design does not meet code. ADA 2010 section 208.3.1 says:

... Where parking serves more than one accessible entrance, parking spaces...shall be dispersed and located on the shortest accessible route to the accessible entrances. ...

In this case the garage serves multiple accessible entrances, the security checkpoint at the trams and the pedestrian bridge. Although the tram loading is located on the ground level, the shortest accessible route is actually from the 2nd level, since there is no direct at-grade access from one side of the tram loop to the other (presumably, removing these sorts of conflict points was a goal for this project). The pedestrian bridge also connects at the 2nd level, so the accessible parking spaces don't necessarily need to be dispersed throughout the structure, but it's good practice to have a handful of spaces on each level for late arrivals after they've stopped directing traffic.

Having accessible parking located on the ground floor is not the shortest accessible route to any of the facilities served by the parking structure, and therefore does not meet ADA's requirements. Presumably this is an infrastructure problem that could be resolved by operational changes (reinstating the crosswalk), but would be better served in the long-run by relocating the accessible parking to the 2nd level. Although parking structures often have the accessible parking clustered on the ground floor, it's not unusual to have it on a different level if that's where the primary facility entrance is located.

Given how the Pixar Pals garage was rushed into construction, it's not inconceivable that parts of the intent didn't get relayed to the entire design team. However, it's surprising that nobody stopped to think about how it would function during the review processes from the design firm, client, or regulatory agencies overseeing it. In the world of construction problems, this is a relatively easy fix (signage and striping), but as built it's a major issue.

wowsmom

Entered through the Magic Way entry today. The 8 CMs standing by the umbrella waved at me to go up the ramp and I asked if there were ADA spaces up there and they said yes and I said that must be new since there weren't any 2 weeks ago and they said yes, they're up there now. Got up to Level 5 and, of course, no ADA spaces. But I did find a space on an end where nobody could park next to me, so that worked. But it made me think, what if I had a wheelchair and needed a super wide space and couldn't find one? Not cool.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Entered through the Magic Way entry today. The 8 CMs standing by the umbrella waved at me to go up the ramp and I asked if there were ADA spaces up there and they said yes and I said that must be new since there weren't any 2 weeks ago and they said yes, they're up there now. Got up to Level 5 and, of course, no ADA spaces. But I did find a space on an end where nobody could park next to me, so that worked. But it made me think, what if I had a wheelchair and needed a super wide space and couldn't find one? Not cool.
At least someone got to go up a ramp

DrAlice

Not cool at all. I hope you complained somewhere. Especially the "yeah it's there" blow you off routine. That's terrible.

flynnibus

you all keep saying ADA spaces - are you talking about the handicap parking spots that require a permit, or some other accommodation?

TP2000

They could have built another set of bathrooms at Pixar so one doesn't have to walk all the way to M&F and back.
Are you kidding?!? Bob Iger hosted the Wall Street quarterly profit call today and attendance was down 3% in the last quarter while spending was up 10%, and they only made $1.7 Billion in after-tax profit from just the Parks & Resorts division in the last three months.

You think they are made out of money and can afford to spend $500,000 or more to build extra bathrooms for paying customers?!?

You obviously don't understand how Bob Iger and Bob Chapek earn their multi-million dollar salary each year. :rolleyes:

You just need to hold it until you get home. Also, please consider subscribing to Disney+. Thanks!

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

You just need to hold it until you get home. Also, please consider subscribing to Disney+. Thanks!
Funny you should mention that. A local radio station is giving away tickets to the park. Nothing about Star Wars or Parking in the promo, but they do talk about being the first to access Disney+!

Top Bottom