Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

SuddenStorm

Here's a view from the top of the structure...

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

After months of anticipation, last night I was finally able to experience the resort's latest, most innovative, best executed, and most convenient new offering of 2019- the pedestrian walkway.

Arriving to the Pixar Pals structure around 8 pm, we were able to experience the walkway all lit at night.

View attachment 410608
View attachment 410610

Impressed by the utilization of Disney's 4 keys- safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency- the high rails, bright lighting, ease of use, and the sleek modern appearance created a walking experience like no other.

Cleanliness has already taken a hit though, as a guest has spilled a beverage. Disneyland, these kinds of cleanliness misshaps are unacceptable and should be addressed immediately.

View attachment 410612

As I walked past the spill, I immediately thought to myself- what would Walt think?

As we continued over the walkway, I was impressed with the new foliage along the path. Disneyland has sure come a long way from labelling weeds!

View attachment 410613

While at Downtown Disney, my friends and I enjoyed some Salt and Straw Ice Cream and good conversation.

View attachment 410640

After a short while, we made our way back to the new immersive pedestrian walkway experience.

While passing over the bridge, we were treated to a world class fireworks display:

View attachment 410646
View attachment 410647
View attachment 410648

View attachment 410649

All in all, the new bridge is a huge improvement and should make walking to Downtown Disney a far more pleasant experience, provided their security station is able to handle increased crowd flow.
Did you have to use a fastpass for the bridge?

BrianLo

Jokes aside, DLR finally has a "nice" arrival, one of its poorest features compared to every other Disney resort.

The temporary, then more permanent but still temporary bag checks, concrete slab bake-in-the-sun Tram loading were eye sores.

Toy Story leaves a lot to be desired with buses and Harbour is still a waltz down a moteled city street. But this is actually landscaped and surprisingly filled with trees.

Darkbeer1

SS, it isn't installed yet, It will be in the same general location as the ball on the M&F side. You can see where the circular fence is being built, behind rehab walls.

choco choco

Is that ramp up to the bridge ADA compliant? I thought a ramp can't have more than a 30 inch rise at any one time with 5x5 foot level landings inbetween. But that walkway doesn't seem to have any level landings. It also doesn't have any railings.

Not a joke post. I'm actually seriously asking this question.

Darkbeer1

Is that ramp up to the bridge ADA compliant? I thought a ramp can't have more than a 30 inch rise at any one time with 5x5 foot level landings inbetween. But that walkway doesn't seem to have any level landings. It also doesn't have any railings.

Not a joke post. I'm actually seriously asking this question.

Yes, it is ADA Compliant. On Friday I walked from the ground level to the bridge using my UpWalker. The slope is ADA friendly. True, no level areas, but there are railings, though disguised slightly.

20190913_155510-XL.jpg

wowsmom

Some photos from Friday, DtD to the Structures

Alas, they still have to allow ADA folks to cross the tram path (for now)

20190913_160234-XL.jpg

Bummed to see this fence now closed off. I was thinking how nice it would be to walk from the ADA spaces on the ground floor, go to the corner, cross the street and take the street level path in to DTD. Instead, if I park there, I'll have to take the elevator up and then walk down the ramp then walk back up the ramp on the way back, which will be more challenging after I've been on my feet for a while. Taking the tram in is always a possibility, but taking the tram back out pretty much never is, because when I've been on my feet for a while, my psoriatic arthritis flares and walking slowly is slightly less painful than standing waiting for tram, then bending my knees to sit down. 😭

Darkbeer1

Bummed to see this fence now closed off. I was thinking how nice it would be to walk from the ADA spaces on the ground floor, go to the corner, cross the street and take the street level path in to DTD. Instead, if I park there, I'll have to take the elevator up and then walk down the ramp then walk back up the ramp on the way back, which will be more challenging after I've been on my feet for a while. Taking the tram in is always a possibility, but taking the tram back out pretty much never is, because when I've been on my feet for a while, my psoriatic arthritis flares and walking slowly is slightly less painful than standing waiting for tram, then bending my knees to sit down. 😭

But Disney could have EASILY made the far south row or two ADA parking on Level 2 (or any other upper level). Where folks could easily opt for the bridge, or take the elevator to the trams. And they wouldn't need to worry about folks crossing the tramway, which was a key design of the new tramway,safer and saves on labor costs. Time to get the restriping company on the job.

Phroobar

Excellent coverage. While I haven’t actually experienced the bridge and path myself I have watched the videos and I was underwhelmed. It’s not immersive enough and I don’t understand what the back story is. If I can get a FastPass I’ll definitely cross it, but not now
They lost the budget for the bridge's AA troll backstory so they could keep Lincoln going.

Darkbeer1

And in the Good News department. The only way a stroller can be brought onto a Parking Structure Van is to have it completely fold up, or have the Red Tag stating Stroller being used as a Wheelchair. Those strollers MUST use the ADA ramp or a Mickey Van.

Those preferring to leave their child in the stroller and/or not fold them up will be told to use the Magic Way Bridge.

mandelbrot

After months of anticipation, last night I was finally able to experience the resort's latest, most innovative, best executed, and most convenient new offering of 2019- the pedestrian walkway.

Arriving to the Pixar Pals structure around 8 pm, we were able to experience the walkway all lit at night.

View attachment 410608
View attachment 410610

Impressed by the utilization of Disney's 4 keys- safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency- the high rails, bright lighting, ease of use, and the sleek modern appearance created a walking experience like no other.

Cleanliness has already taken a hit though, as a guest has spilled a beverage. Disneyland, these kinds of cleanliness misshaps are unacceptable and should be addressed immediately.

View attachment 410612

As I walked past the spill, I immediately thought to myself- what would Walt think?

As we continued over the walkway, I was impressed with the new foliage along the path. Disneyland has sure come a long way from labelling weeds!

View attachment 410613

While at Downtown Disney, my friends and I enjoyed some Salt and Straw Ice Cream and good conversation.

View attachment 410640

After a short while, we made our way back to the new immersive pedestrian walkway experience.

While passing over the bridge, we were treated to a world class fireworks display:

View attachment 410646
View attachment 410647
View attachment 410648

View attachment 410649

All in all, the new bridge is a huge improvement and should make walking to Downtown Disney a far more pleasant experience, provided their security station is able to handle increased crowd flow.
Walking in today, I noticed the security line was about a hundred yards long with only two lanes open.

Also, the path from the bridge to security is so meandering and long that a lot of people cut across the small patch of grass at the base of the ramp to walk through the parking lot. It's a much shorter route and that patch of grass is now mostly dirt as a result. Bad design.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Walking in today, I noticed the security line was about a hundred yards long with only two lanes open.

Also, the path from the bridge to security is so meandering and long that a lot of people cut across the small patch of grass at the base of the ramp to walk through the parking lot. It's a much shorter route and that patch of grass is now mostly dirt as a result. Bad design.

How is it a bad design? It's keeping people off of the parking lot. How could you make it shorter without either bisecting the parking lot (which was the whole point of the project) or keeping the ramp at a high elevation across the center of the parking lot which would have costed a lot more?

No, not bad design, just lazy and impatient people. If 100 extra feet is too much for them maybe they should just take the tram.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom