Pirates refurb dates released

TROR

Some critics of the ride’s new updates — and there are several — have asserted that pirates shouldn’t be recast as more politically correct than they were. But if staying true to reality were part of the theme, then the pirates would have to be recast as multicultural (can’t you just hear Sean Hannity now?), children would also need to be auctioned as slave labor and at least half the characters would be stricken with consumption.

This.

But there is a Chinese and an Arab pirate in the ride. They're already multicultural!

God you people overthinking a boat ride past robotic mannequins...

It's art, George.

SuddenStorm

Some critics of the ride’s new updates — and there are several — have asserted that pirates shouldn’t be recast as more politically correct than they were. But if staying true to reality were part of the theme, then the pirates would have to be recast as multicultural (can’t you just hear Sean Hannity now?), children would also need to be auctioned as slave labor and at least half the characters would be stricken with consumption.

This.

I've never been a fan of the "It's not historically accurate" complaint about changing the scene. There are so many better reasons to not be happy about the new auction scene- poor dialogue, different artistic style of Redd, loss of a piece of Disneyland history, etc. using historically accurate as an excuse is one of the weaker arguments some could make.

Which, disappointingly, is the one this reporter focused on.

mickEblu

I've never been a fan of the "It's not historically accurate" complaint about changing the scene. There are so many better reasons to not be happy about the new auction scene- poor dialogue, different artistic style of Redd, loss of a piece of Disneyland history, etc. using historically accurate as an excuse is one of the weaker arguments some could make.

Which, disappointingly, is the one this reporter focused on.

Right. On a long list of reasons I hate the auction change... that reason isn’t even on my list.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Maybe that’s just how I read it, but it seems like she views anyone who is against this change as inherently being on the “wrong side of history” and should take a long hard look at their lives. I know your views on it already and I respect them. But her bias couldn’t have any shown more if she titled the article, “The redhead sex slave is gone and feminists can now return to Disneyland and feel comfortable.”

shortstop

I’m still waiting for a good explanation of why a female pirate is a strong role model for young girls. “Look, girls, you too can extort, pilfer, maraud, embezzle, and highjack! Getting drunk off rum and burning up the town isn’t just for men!”
I’m not opposed to having there be female pirates, I’m just very confused by the PR spin of the redhead being an empowered female.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I’m still waiting for a good explanation of why a female pirate is a strong role model for young girls. “Look, girls, you too can extort, pilfer, maraud, embezzle, and highjack! Getting drunk off rum and burning up the town isn’t just for men!”
I’m not opposed to having there be female pirates, I’m just very confused by the PR spin of the redhead being an empowered female.
According to Disney, pirates are the good guys.

D

Deleted member 107043

Maybe that’s just how I read it, but it seems like she views anyone who is against this change as inherently being on the “wrong side of history” and should take a long hard look at their lives. I know your views on it already and I respect them. But her bias couldn’t have any shown more if she titled the article, “The redhead sex slave is gone and feminists can now return to Disneyland and feel comfortable.”
maraud, embezzle, and highjack! Getting drunk off rum and burning up the town isn’t just for men!”
According to Disney, pirates are the good guys.
Right, that’s why they would never do bad things like auction off brides.

I could be wrong, but methinks you all might be reading way too much into the article.

George Lucas on a Bench

Nothing the pirates of the Caribbean do is redeemable, yet they sing a jolly song and inspire joy from Disney theme park guests. These are robots that murder, steal, try to intoxicate cats and burn a town. Might as well just change the whole thing. Make it so the conquistadors fire off some warning shots thinking these "pirates" are a threat, but then the Mayor gives Barbosa the key to the city, they have an art exhibition and then everyone sings a Whoville-style song of peace.

D

Deleted member 107043

It’s not just that specific article. It’s Disney’s own PR, coupled with articles and online opinions mirroring that article.

Meh. The article acknowledges that the new scene is lacking, so there's that.

As a fan I do empathize with people who are bothered, but it's another one of those very specific Disneyland nerd things, like the unaligned Club 33 window or the widening of the Alice ramp, that I often end up shrugging over because I don't care that much and therefore can't really relate to the outrage. Disney removed something from PoTC that was midly offensive to me, and as a result I'm OK with what they've done. Is it amazing? No, but it's perfectly fine and I bet it will largely go unnoticed by the majority of visitors, especially future generations.

Frankly I'm having a much more negative reaction to the gigantic red scream tubes on the Incredicoaster than I am to any aspect of the PoTC auction scene update. Ugh. Go figure. Everyone's experience at Disneyland is personal I guess. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom