Pirates refurb dates released

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Meh. The article acknowledges that the new scene is lacking, so there's that.

As a fan I do empathize with people are bothered, but it's another one of those very specific Disneyland nerd things, like the unaligned Club 33 window or the widening of the Alice ramp, that I often end up shrugging over because I don't care that much and therefore can't really relate to the outrage. Disney removed something from PoTC that was midly offensive to me, and as a result I'm OK with what they've done. Is it amazing? No, but it's perfectly fine and I bet it will largely go unnoticed by the majority of visitors, especially future generations.

Frankly I'm having a much more negative reaction to the gigantic red scream tubes on the Incredicoaster than I am to any aspect of the PoTC auction scene update. Ugh. Go figure. Everyone's experience at Disneyland is personal I guess. :)
Those tubes are really obnoxious! Especially the one that is still technically open.

D

Deleted member 107043

Disney needs more offensive things. I want Indian attacks back in Frontierland.

I wouldn't mind something like that, but Disney would need to be far more inclusive in telling that story, which it isn't going to do, so best to leave it alone.

I read somewhere that one of the early concepts for the ROA was a dipiction of a plantation with "happy" slaves waving at guests as they passed by on watercraft. Not surprising it got axed. It's probably best that Disneyland sticks to fantasy and steers clear of retelling American history because fantasy is pretty much the only thing it does well.

celluloid

I wouldn't mind something like that, but Disney would need to be far more inclusive in telling that story, which it isn't going to do, so best to leave it alone.

I read somewhere that one of the early concepts for the ROA was a dipiction of a plantation with "happy" slaves waving at guests as they passed by on watercraft. Not surprising it got axed. It's probably best that Disneyland sticks to fantasy and steers clear of retelling American history because fantasy is pretty much the only thing it does well.

Disney at least was very inclusive. People just get lazy and presume things are out to offend them and people let ignorance trigger them into stooping to low levels.
Disneyland used to have rain dancers speaking on why rain dances and such were done as well as what firewalks meant to people of Hawaii.

D

Deleted member 107043

Disney at least was very inclusive. People just get lazy and presume things are out to offend them and people let ignorance trigger them into stooping to low levels.

I'm not presuming anything or anyone is out to offend me. My opinion is that most people and businesses don't realize when they are being offensive to underrepresented people. Like calling native Americans Indians.

Disneyland used to have rain dancers speaking on why rain dances and such were done as well as what firewalks meant to people of Hawaii.

Inclusivity is more than just nodding to a particular culture, ethnicity, or heritage through a European American lense. It's a complex and delicate issue, and not one that Disneyland is equipped to adequately deal with as evidenced by its past (and present) depictions of people of color.

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

I'm not presuming anything or anyone is out to offend me. My opinion is that most people and businesses don't realize when they are being offensive to underrepresented people. Like calling native Americans Indians.

Inclusivity is more than just nodding to a particular culture, ethnicity, or heritage through a European American lense. It's a complex and delicate issue, and not one that Disneyland is equipped to adequately deal with as evidenced by its past (and present) depictions of people of color.

So if that is the case, than people can learn to enjoy it for what it is, and perhaps use it as a stepping ground for when they want to further investigate something. By the way, I was not trying to insinuate that you personally were an example of someone too easily offended. I was just adding my commentary to the subject.

180º

This video was uploaded a day ago, according to YouTube, but I could have sworn we already saw this. Does DPB make it a habit to revise and re-upload content? In any case, there is no verbal mention at all of the new auction scene, which I find odd.

dweezil78

This video was uploaded a day ago, according to YouTube, but I could have sworn we already saw this. Does DPB make it a habit to revise and re-upload content? In any case, there is no verbal mention at all of the new auction scene, which I find odd.

If you read the blog post it’s linked to, this video is specific to the new cave scene. But yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if they revised both the post (originally dated 6/8) and vid since fan reaction to the cave was overwhelmingly positive while reaction to the auction was, well, you know...

Californian Elitist

“...look for ways to enhance the attraction, keeping within the original intent, always within the storyline.”

Right. So why the fudge did you completely change the auction scene??? And this should apply to not only attractions, but the parks themselves. Stop putting in things that don’t make sense and don’t apply to the quote above (GotG:MB, Marvel Land in DCA, Pixar Pier, Pixar Fest, SW:GE).

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

It’s the same video. Even Disney is smart enough not to mention the embarrassing mess which is the new auction scene.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Official review of the new auction scene from seeing it in person last night:

love-lucy-disgusted-face.gif

Thankfully the cave scenes are exceptional.

JD2000

In some not so recent anymore news; the pirates scanners installed have been removed and queue reorganized so the right side may not be any quicker now. Update at 10!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom