News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

aladdin2007

Reality check: In fairness it is to those of us that have been seeing the auction scene for years, to the newbie it is just fine and life will go on. Not everyone knows what it was like before the change and to them this will be, like it was for the rest of us, just another comical scene in a detail packed boat ride. What we can do is live with the personal satisfaction that we got to see it and these poor 'new' chumps never did. That makes us the best, doesn't it?? :)

That, and other, exit lights have been there forever and is visible on all dark rides for the sake of safety. Fantasy is fine, but, reality says they do what they can to keep injuries down to a minimum in the event of an emergency.

yes of course but bright sunlight come in under the door into the show space was never ever visible before there, it was always completely hidden, they had to have removed a doorway or curtain etc or even a whole wall leading to it? something recently was changed/opened up and not for the better in terms of show quality.

Goofyernmost

yes of course but bright sunlight come in under the door into the show space was never ever visible before there, it was always completely hidden, they had to have removed a doorway or curtain etc or even a whole wall leading to it? something recently was changed/opened up and not for the better in terms of show quality.
What would be the purpose of hiding and exit sign when it is there to let people know how to get out of there in case of an emergency. You may not have ever seen it before, but, that doesn't mean it wasn't there. That is the problem with repetition, the more you go to an attraction the quicker one starts looking at other things that previously didn't catch there attention. That is exactly where the misconception that Disney is worse then it was comes from. It is not worse then it was it is just that all of a sudden one focused on something that they weren't suppose to focus on. As for the doorway, I have seen that stuff happen many times. It may just mean that at that moment they were working on a problem that required they have access. If it is still doing that every time you ride, then it is a lack of addressing a problem of light leakage, otherwise it is nothing at all except a situation while you are riding it and the Pixie Dust wasn't able to fix it on it's own. I remember sitting in the ending theater on GMR and having some maintenance people open up the door that I had never noticed was even there and bring in some step ladders and other equipment while we were there. Yea, I know, bad show, but, it also may have been the only time they could have addressed a problem without shutting the ride down completely.

RandySavage

You are correct. It is shockingly bad and rips you out of the being in dark cave moment. The light leakage is bright enough that the you can see unthemed backstage areas - which makes it almost certain that rockwork, a wall or curtain was removed. In this past, this area always felt like a dark cave - I'm a stickler for this kind of stuff and would have definitely noted egregious exit signs. In general, Disney tended to be much better about exit signs in the past (also hampered by their legal dept, nutty fire marshals and litigation-obsessed culture - e.g., they added plain, Target-bought exit signs to the outdoor red canvas-covered queue at Haunted Mansion... really...)

As you state, something was changed at that spot during this refurb (curtain or wall removed) and it sucks.

MerlinTheGoat

IMO (including my family), the replacement scene, at least the story line, is nowhere near as good as the old one, so all of these changes continue to diminish the typical characteristics of what many perceive as “Pirates”. But at least the quality of the apparel matches the quality of the ride.
View attachment 277692
You know, beyond just the laughably bad writing and politically correct censorship, there's also this weird group who seemingly want to rewrite history to make pirates look like cool and relatable people. Heck, role models. Pirates were not good people, they were criminals. Generally very violent and evil ones. I've said this numerous times before, and the original ride understood this- the pirates were the villains of the ride.

I am a
Selfish
Thieving
Raping
Murdering
Evil
Pirate

Wonder how THAT shirt would go over. Alternatively, how would it look if the original shirt replaced the word "Pirate" with "Member of ISIS"?

So in an ironic twist, I think the changes to the ride (and associated merchandise you posted) are MORE offensive than the original given the context. It has whitewashed pirates who at least used to be accurately portrayed as evil (albeit in a goofy and comical way). Disney has been trying to soften and and twist pirates into something "cool and likable". A bad example to set.

I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy villains and even dress up like them. It can be a ton of fun and there's nothing wrong with finding entertainment in dark places. But it's somewhat odd that people (grown adults) seem to have let this fantasy go to their head. To the degree that they've lost sense of reality and forget what pirates truly were- violent criminals. Instead they've become romantically attached and want to rewrite them as good guys. That actually seems more offensive than how the original ride portrayed them.

aladdin2007

You are correct. It is shockingly bad and rips you out of the being in dark cave moment. The light leakage is bright enough that the you can see unthemed backstage areas - which makes it almost certain that rockwork, a wall or curtain was removed. In this past, this area always felt like a dark cave - I'm a stickler for this kind of stuff and would have definitely noted egregious exit signs. In general, Disney tended to be much better about exit signs in the past (also hampered by their legal dept, nutty fire marshals and litigation-obsessed culture - e.g., they added plain, Target-bought exit signs to the outdoor red canvas-covered queue at Haunted Mansion... really...)

As you state, something was changed at that spot during this refurb (curtain or wall removed) and it sucks.

thank you, explained it much better than I did and spot on. Now that you mention it I think maybe it was some rock work that was removed opening up a large exit area.

_caleb

there's also this weird group who seemingly want to rewrite history to make pirates look like cool and relatable people.
I get what you’re saying. But the idea of Pirates is more complex than either 1) they were murderous, evil people or 2) they were a cool and likable lot that we should all want to be like.

Firstly, throughout history, pirating has been about folklore. Pirates cast themselves as evil/mad in order to intimidate those they would steal from. They told stories of their conquests and embellished the legends of their conquests and crimes in order to build reputations. But even then, many people saw pirates as Robin-hood type heroes who stole from weathly empires (who had stolen that wealth from indigenous people in the new world). Some pirates bought safety by distributing their plunder to poor fishermen.

The employment of “Privateers” by various countries blurred the lines between “good guy” pirates and “bad guy” pirates. The Spanish still refer to Sir Francis Drake (explorer, adventurer) as “The Pirate Drake.” Whether he was a hero was and is still open to interpretation.

To further complicate the story, the pirate myth has continued to grow through the centuries (pirating itself still being a thing). Consider the treatment of pirates in Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer, The Goonies, or The PoTC films. Evil terrorists or swashbuckling thieves with hearts of gold? It depends.

Which is why Disney’s pirates can actually do both. They can be good guys, bad guys, or something in-between. They can have some of each. It’s not really based on history (which again, is open to interpretation), it’s based in the folklore that so many generations have been fascinated with.

SoupBone

I agree 100% with this whole post. I think all the pirates yelling "we wants the rum," and 1 saying "We wants the Redhead" would have been funny and would have kept the classic line in the ride. Plus, it would have still reminded us that pirates are sassy.

Admittedly, I do think because her new animatronic is so fluid and updated it makes some of the other older animatronics look a bit too static and stiff.

Can't have the pirates actually desiring the redhead though, right? They definitely could have kept that audio in the ride, and it still would have fit.

MerlinTheGoat

@_caleb

Many times attempts to work with outlaws have backfired in spectacular fashion (such as the US' direct involvement in the creation of Al-Qaeda and ISIS among other terrorist groups). In the cases where governments and businesses worked with pirates, it was not uncommon for those governments and businesses themselves to be involved in illegal activity too. Doesn't make the pirates they employed any better though, it just makes the people who hired them criminals as well.

By and large, pirates were not decent people. There were a few exceptions (shaky exceptions at best though), but this were not the majority rule. Many were not the famous ones you've heard of in legend, but smaller disorganized ragtag groups. They would often target and terrorize ordinary people as well, often due to being cowards. Not unlike the Somalian pirates.

On the topic of the ride, the context of the pirates' behavior really hasn't changed much regardless of whether you want to deify real-world pirates or not. Even with all the ridiculous censorship, the pirates still behave as bloodthirsty psychopaths. They're still torturing a man by dunking him in a well (and shooting at his wife), still stealing goods and food from residents, still going on a drunken rampage and burning the city down. Nothing about these men (and now women) should be looked up to and admired.

There's also the ironic fact that Jack Sparrow behaves a lot like Harvey Weinstein. Saying and doing lewd things to women throughout the movie franchise that should enrage PC police. In Movie 1, he actually attempts to get Elizabeth Swann black out drunk and have his way with her (which would be rape if she didn't catch on in time). So it's a wonder why this is still okay to Disney.

AEfx

There's also the ironic fact that Jack Sparrow behaves a lot like Harvey Weinstein.

096.png

MerlinTheGoat

That also isn't mentioning the other characters. Barbossa threatens to strip Elizabeth naked and let his crew have their way with her unless she agrees to join him for dinner. He and the crew grope and make other perverted remarks towards her throughout the movie. In the third movie, Sao Feng's pirate henchman forces Elizabeth to remove her pants to ensure she has no weapons, he leers creepily at her reaction. Following this, Ragetti is hiding below the floor boards, he can see up her dress and is cackling excitedly. Later, Sao Feng forcibly kisses Elizabeth, a scene that was about to escalate further had he not been hit with cannon fire.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
@_caleb
There's also the ironic fact that Jack Sparrow behaves a lot like Harvey Weinstein. Saying and doing lewd things to women throughout the movie franchise that should enrage PC police. In Movie 1, he actually attempts to get Elizabeth Swann black out drunk and have his way with her (which would be rape if she didn't catch on in time). So it's a wonder why this is still okay to Disney.

So, with Jack always concentrating on the rum and the ladies, wouldn't that make him more like John than Harvey?

Captain Barbossa

I was happy to find the figurine set all the way out here in Illinois at a Disney store outlet in Gurnee. My friend and I grabbed the last ones.. And it was all for $8.99.
View attachment 279772
Lucky. You can find these online but they aren't $8.99 ;) There used to be a massive Disney distribution center about an hour away from my house here in South Carolina that had an outlet store that would have discontinued Disney Parks merch for like almost nothing. Unfortunately, the distribution center is now closed along with the store :arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom