News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

MotherOfBirds

That Barbossa figure looks great. All the DLP figures move so much more smoothly. I'm guessing everything at WDW is prefabbed and then swapped in?

LittleJMouse

Dang... I don't know how I missed this. We are going to be there the week before. Has anyone ever noticed if refurbishment projects ever finish early? Or do they always stand with projected dates?

Winter

Is this the only ride that will be down for mainitance during that time period, or is there gonna be more?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm glad they aren't adding the Barbarossa as it seems to be in the wrong place after viewing the Paris video and not the highest quality (compared to the similar effect done in Shanghai)

Zeb Zoober

I'm glad they aren't adding the Barbarossa as it seems to be in the wrong place after viewing the Paris video and not the highest quality (compared to the similar effect done in Shanghai)

Yeah it just looks like he's standing there and then he laughs and swings at you. Kind of random.

draybook

Cool. We get there on the 24th and start hitting the parks on the 25th. That's my daughter and wife's birthday, so at least they'll get to see it before they change it.

MerlinTheGoat

The effect in Shanghai appears to be a digitally mapped effect (projected), it obviously looks fantastic but requires the figure to be completely still to properly project the skeleton texture onto it. Jack only starts moving when the projection is switched off and lighting changes.

The Barbossa AA appears to use paint that reacts to blacklight (the kind of paint used in many classic dark rides like Peter Pan), invisible with normal lighting. It doesn't look as "good", but the AA can still move normally using this method. And for what it is, I think it works pretty well (it's a more simplistic old school sort of effect but still pretty effective). I think the figure itself is also a good AA when you ignore the poor placement.

But his figure doesn't fit the scene it was placed in. It would make even less sense continuity wise in WDW (and DL) because it would ruin his big reveal in the fort vs ship battle (which is seen seconds later in WDW). At least in Paris, the scenes are in a different order and makes for a better build up to his skeletal reveal. But even there it feels shoehorned in (same as Jack in Paris' treasure room).

Last edited:

HMF

But his figure doesn't fit the scene it was placed in. It would make even less sense continuity wise in WDW (and DL) because it would ruin his big reveal in the fort vs ship battle (which is seen seconds later in WDW). \.
Well.you could bring back the original ship captain,Just saying.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Out of the two times I rode Pirates in November, it was working the first time, but speechless the second. It’s a terrible spot for a ride picture.
I know! You would never expect it. On the drop would be nice but not BEFORE the drop. It also adds insult to injury by blinding you with that flash. But the talking part is cool and it has worked every time so far. What hasn't worked as consistently on PotC is the fog behind the Wicked Wench.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom