Pirates and Mermaids riding Stranger Tides?

Have you seen 'Pirates 4'? And would mermaids be a good addition to the attraction?

• Yes, I've seen 'Pirates 4', and I do think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Yes, I've seen 'Pirates 4', but I don't think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • No, I haven't seen 'Pirates 4', but I do think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • No, I haven't seen 'Pirates 4', but I don't think the mermaids would be a good addition.

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

SyracuseOrange

I haven't seen the movie, but based upon the terrible reviews its getting from objective film critics (you know, the ones that aren't hugely biased Disney fans), I don't think it should be immortalized in an attraction.

Actually, I don't think any of the films following the first should find their way into the attraction. The original was a great and unique film. The rest have just been summer popcorn flicks. Enjoyable, but nothing memorable.

I just have a hard time justifying the presence of lame films in attractions, but that's just me.

See the film. Read through the boards and you'll see that most of us enjoyed it, despite the reviews. It's not as good as 1, but better than 2 or 3.

WDWFigment

See the film. Read through the boards and you'll see that most of us enjoyed it, despite the reviews. It's not as good as 1, but better than 2 or 3.

I don't doubt that most people here. I remember reading a lot of glowing reviews for the 2nd and 3rd films here, too, despite being critical flops. This board is heavily skewed towards favoring Disney's products. This board is not representative of the general public, nor is it objective towards Disney.

I'll bet there are more proportionately more people here who would give favorable reviews to films like Chicken Little, Treasure Planet, and Meet the Robinsons than in the general public, too.

Sorry, putting aspects of a mediocre film into a classic attraction is just a tough pill to swallow. I have no issue with the Depp AAs, as they are organic additions from the high quality film in the series. I wouldn't mind change elsewhere in the attraction, but I just wouldn't want something to be added because of a film that no one will remember in 10 years.

wizards8507

Actually, I don't think any of the films following the first should find their way into the attraction. The original was a great and unique film. The rest have just been summer popcorn flicks.

Spoiler Alert:

The Curse of the Black Pearl was just as much of a "summer popcorn flick" as Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.

WDWFigment

Spoiler Alert:

The Curse of the Black Pearl was just as much of a "summer popcorn flick" as Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.

Relatively speaking, it was a high quality one. It may not have been an Academy Award winner or high art, but it was a solid film. The others have just been mindless fun.

wizards8507

Relatively speaking, it was a high quality one. It may not have been an Academy Award winner or high art, but it was a solid film. The others have just been mindless fun.

I agree with you that the first one was the best, but I disagree on the last part. The biggest complaint I've heard from others about At Worlds End is that it was too difficult to follow. I'm not sure how "too difficult" reconciles with "mindless fun."

WDWFigment

I agree with you that the first one was the best, but I disagree on the last part. The biggest complaint I've heard from others about At Worlds End is that it was too difficult to follow. I'm not sure how "too difficult" reconciles with "mindless fun."

Ha, fair point. Poor word choice on my end with "mindless." More like...just fun. My basic point is that I think the first will be relevant 20 years from now whereas no one will watch the others. I think a good comparison would be to the Jaws series.

wizards8507

Ha, fair point. Poor word choice on my end with "mindless." More like...just fun. My basic point is that I think the first will be relevant 20 years from now whereas no one will watch the others. I think a good comparison would be to the Jaws series.

Haha I wasn't even aware that Jaws was a series. I'm not sure Pirates will have the same fate, but if it does that's obviously a fantastic example. I don't think each film will be remembered individually, but I think the series will survive as a whole.

SyracuseOrange

I don't doubt that most people here. I remember reading a lot of glowing reviews for the 2nd and 3rd films here, too, despite being critical flops. This board is heavily skewed towards favoring Disney's products. This board is not representative of the general public, nor is it objective towards Disney.

I'll bet there are more proportionately more people here who would give favorable reviews to films like Chicken Little, Treasure Planet, and Meet the Robinsons than in the general public, too.

Sorry, putting aspects of a mediocre film into a classic attraction is just a tough pill to swallow. I have no issue with the Depp AAs, as they are organic additions from the high quality film in the series. I wouldn't mind change elsewhere in the attraction, but I just wouldn't want something to be added because of a film that no one will remember in 10 years.

Ok, I'll give you that. However, all of my non-Disney freak friends who have seen Pirates4 really enjoyed it as well. Also, I watched the twitter stream for #Pirates4 a couple of times during the opening weekend, and I'd say that 80%+ of the tweets I saw were positive.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
i think they've added enough to pirates. i think they should have left it alone in the first place and just had a jack sparrow cm outside... not a huge fan of the AA's... they've had to give him a scarf for starters because of his neck movements. and then taking blackbeards ship off him, giving it to a dodgey looking barbosa and then adding him back in on the 'mist waterfall'? just silly.
i think one of the posters above has hit the nail on the head: when are people going to start asking if the ride was based on the movies. just, no.

Actually, I think of the scarf is an awesome part of the storytelling. Even though it was added for a practical purpose, it really does add to the story.

Since the attraction's story takes place before the events of 'Pearl,' it's like it was a part of his outfit when he was younger, and lost it just before 'Pearl.' Considering that his outfit is basically bare, and he - Johnny Depp - adds to it every story. I even like the color of it, it adds a some contrast.

Also, the fact that they had to make his outfit a little more 'cleaner' to match the other pirates, also adds to the story. Because his outfit would've been new and clean at some point. I think of the ride taking place between the time he was marooned by Barbossa, and when we see him for the first time in 'Pearl.'

... maybe he lost the scarf on the island?

:wave:

Then again, it can be assumed that when Barbossa asks Jack in the cave, "How the blazes did you get off that island?" It was the first time he'd seen him since, so... who knows?

Ah, well.

To get back on track, the mermaids would be cool. All you nay-sayers can kiss my comp'______. ;)

WDWFigment

Ok, I'll give you that. However, all of my non-Disney freak friends who have seen Pirates4 really enjoyed it as well. Also, I watched the twitter stream for #Pirates4 a couple of times during the opening weekend, and I'd say that 80%+ of the tweets I saw were positive.

Watch the Twitter stream for #JustinBeiber and read all of the positive comments.

Just because something is popular now doesn't mean it's good (and to be fair, POTC4 does have a 68% favorable rating among readers versus its 33% rate among critics on Rotten Tomatoes, so it is more popular with the general public than the critics), or that it will stand the test of time.

JIMINYCR

People, people, you're forgetting about the mermaid thats in DHS, Daryl Hannah of the Splash movie. Now thats a mermaid that should be in POTC. Every time I visit DHS I'm amazed that the statue remains in place. I told my wife years ago that I bet that would be removed because someone would complain about nudity at WDW. My vote is for the real mermaid, not Ariel.

Clever Name

It would be nice if they could enlarge upon the auction scene. In addition to auctioning off the ladies of the settlement, they could also auction off captured mermaids to the local sushi bar. It would work perfectly if they use Ariel as one of the mermaids because they would be able to retain the “We wants the redhead” line. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom