News Pirate rooms at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to be replaced with 'under the sea' theme

Tom P.

They also had data for HarmoniUS. Creative content is just that, creative, not regurgitating data. Even then, they’re not actually that singular and Vulcan-like. They often make capricious decisions based on personal desires (see front of same park), and they know people will just make excuses like “They have data” if it doesn’t work out.
Both can be true. Just because they have the data to back a particular creative direction doesn't mean that they will actually do it well. I have no doubt that Disney actually has data to indicate that people want character-themed resort rooms. Although people on these boards hate "IP" being splashed on everything, they average visitor does not and wants to see things that are more blatantly "Disney." However, you can do character theming well or you can do it badly. Which they will do for CBR remains to be seen. But when they say something like "people want more obviously Disney-themed rooms," I absolutely believe that.

lazyboy97o

Both can be true. Just because they have the data to back a particular creative direction doesn't mean that they will actually do it well. I have no doubt that Disney actually has data to indicate that people want character-themed resort rooms. Although people on these boards hate "IP" being splashed on everything, they average visitor does not and wants to see things that are more blatantly "Disney." However, you can do character theming well or you can do it badly. Which they will do for CBR remains to be seen. But when they say something like "people want more obviously Disney-themed rooms," I absolutely believe that.
They did not say anything. The “reason” was given as a defense and is now being accepted as true.

UNCgolf

Not to mention the deliberate obfuscation. The problem with these rooms is not that they are pirate rooms or have some sort of relationship to the broader hotel. These rooms suffer due to their location and physical design, not their lack of yet another a character smorgasbord.

It's like the opposite of the Royal Guest rooms at Port Orleans. I've stayed in those rooms twice -- not because I like the theming, but because I think it's the best location at the resort. I'd actually prefer they be regular rooms but I'd stay in those buildings regardless unless the theme was unbearable.

Sir_Cliff

What it sounds like is that they converted all these rooms to a pirate theme in the hopes it would help them sell better and that didn't work or perhaps even put off more people than it encouraged to book them.

Find it hard to get worked up one way or the other about this. What they are saying about 'Under the Sea' touches sounds like what they're doing with all their refurbished rooms in terms of inserting the characters in some way, as is already the case at Disneyland Paris (the 'moderates' Santa Fe and Cheyenne, for example, have Cars and Woody & Co., respectively). I don't like that trend, but then these rooms were already themed to Pirates of the Caribbean and certainly not for me. Perhaps toning it down to some images of Sebastian and Flounder on the wall would actually make them a little more palatable to more people.

So far, I'm not seeing anyone saying they stayed in them more than once even if they enjoyed the theming.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Isn't there already a bit of Little Mermaid theming at the Beach Club? I'm not sure if it extends to the rooms, but I remember there being, like, images of Flounder and Sebastian in the carpeting or something like that... wouldn't THAT make more sense for Little Mermaid-themed rooms?

And why are so many of the recent announced projects about princesses? Tiana retheme of Splash Mountain, Moana added to Animal Kingdom and the Polynesian Resort rooms, this...

Fido Chuckwagon

Countdown till the retheme of Pirates of the Caribbean lol. Seriously though this is an odd thing for them to spend money on.
Someone looked at the fact that these rooms were always last to book and **incorrectly** assumed people don’t like the pirates theme, when in fact, people don’t like: 1. The fact that these are double beds but other rooms are queens, 2. The fact that these rooms are further away from everything than the other rooms, and 3. The fact that they ask you to pay more despite 1 and 2 being way more important than theming. They’re going to learn a hard lesson when they retheme these rooms but 1 and 2 remain problems and bookings don’t improve.

PrinceCharming617

Seems like another mistake by Disney. They should have just rethemed the regular rooms to "Under the Sea".

LOL, does this mean Johnny Depp said "no"?

JD80

As a family of 5 that sometimes brings my mother along - more options for parties of 6 would be amazing.

JD80

It would be priced like two rooms, which is already an option. You don't gain much.

1) Two rooms are either a wash or slight more expensive than Cabins, ASM or AoA Family Suite if you compare like with like. Random week in April 2023:
  • AoA Family Suites: $542/night - Single Room (4) $255/night - probably a wash with taxes/fees.
  • Cabins: $477/night
  • ASM Family Suites: $369/night - Single Room (4) $200/night
2) It's easier for a larger family to have a single room/suite because you're not guaranteed enjoining rooms.

3) I would like more options that aren't values or where I need to rent a golf cart.

I gain a lot if there were some moderate 6 person suites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom