Pinioned birds at Animal Kingdom—UPDATED

FettFan

Also, it's most likely a legal requirement to pinion the birds, considering that they are all essentially invasive species that have to be contained and restricted in their movements.
5369644-PPT_0.jpg

Florida is kind of touchy about that sort of thing after all.

But nobody is as touchy as the Australians. Hint: Johnny Depp and former wife Amber Heard almost wound up in an Australian prison for sneaking their Yorkshire terriers into the country in defiance of the national quarantine law.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
That's not what clipping is. Clipping is cutting the pinfeathers short on their wings to prevent them from flying the feathers grow back completely in 3-4 months, so it has to be done at least 3-4 times a year on the birds.
220px-Clipping_chicken_wing.jpg

I do this to my chickens all the time to to keep them from flying over the fences. It's harmless to the birds...no different from getting a haircut or manicure.

Pinioning is completely different....its the surgical removal of the pinion joint (aka the bird's "Fingers") to prevent the flight feathers from developing in the first place. Typically this is done with certain ducks (runners in particular) and swans.
images

It's more akin to having a cat declawed.... possibly cruel, possibly not, all depending on your own point of view.
Also, it's most likely a legal requirement to pinion the birds, considering that they are all essentially invasive species that have to be contained and restricted in their movements.
5369644-PPT_0.jpg

But nobody is as touchy as the Australians. Hint: Johnny Depp and former wife Amber Heard almost wound up in an Australian prison for sneaking their Yorkshire terriers into the country in defiance of the national quarantine law.

Please read the rest of the thread. The difference between clipping and pinioning has already been addressed, as too has the question of whether pinioning is a legal requirement (it isn’t).

21stamps

5369644-PPT_0.jpg

I’d just like to take this opportunity and announce that I am in 100% Support of the hunting, and killing, of all Pythons in SoFla.

Kill. Them. All.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
An update for those who are interested:

Back in December/January, I wrote to a number of Animal Kingdom zookeepers and vets whose email addresses were publicly available online. None of them responded.

In early February, I sent a message to the generic Guest Services email address, knowing it would take them some time to come back with an answer. After I phoned last week to check the status of my enquiry, they finally wrote to me earlier today. I had asked two questions: first, whether the lappet-faced vulture at the foot of the Tree of Life had been pinioned (as discussed in the first post of this thread); and second, where AK's flight-restriction policies stood more generally, especially in light of the AZA's recommendation that pinioning be phased out. My first question also referred to (and asked about) the vulture's offspring, which a CM told me had recently hatched in the park.

The reply to my first question was as follows:

"Specifically, our lappet-faced vultures came to us as a rescue after being injured in the wild. Because of this, they’re now reliant on human care and have been flight restricted since they’re unable to be released back into the wild."

This didn't tell me whether the vultures had been pinioned, and it also implied that all of the vultures were rescues, which isn't the case for the chicks that were bred at AK itself. Since my question asked directly whether these birds had been pinioned, I can only assume that the avoidance of a straightforward answer constitutes a yes.

As for my second question, the reply was even less satisfactory:

"As an Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA)-accredited facility, we work closely with the organization to examine current and future animal care and management practices. We also have a strong focus on overall animal care and welfare and play a leadership role in many AZA programs."

Generic boilerplate, with nothing at all about pinioning or flight-restriction policies. Again, the logical inference is that they practise pinioning and don't want to say so in writing.

I'm disappointed but not really surprised by these vague and evasive answers. I'm still weighing up whether it's worth pushing for more details.

aliceismad

I commend your diligence at pursuing an answer to what is an important question for you.

I’m sure the stock answer you received is part of a Disney script and that level of customer service is unable to give further detail.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I commend your diligence at pursuing an answer to what is an important question for you.

I’m sure the stock answer you received is part of a Disney script and that level of customer service is unable to give further detail.

Thank you!

They ostensibly contacted relevant individuals at AK before sending me that answer, which is why it's supposed to have taken them so long. But yes, I wasn't expecting much. It's a shame that the emails I sent out to specific people weren't answered. Perhaps they have a policy of ignoring such enquiries from members of the public.

The Empress Lilly

Back in December/January, I wrote to a number of Animal Kingdom zookeepers and vets whose email addresses were publicly available online. None of them responded.

In early February, I sent a message to the generic Guest Services email address, knowing it would take them some time to come back with an answer. After I phoned last week to check the status of my enquiry, they finally wrote to me earlier today. I had asked two questions: first, whether the lappet-faced vulture at the foot of the Tree of Life had been pinioned (as discussed in the first post of this thread); and second, where AK's flight-restriction policies stood more generally, especially in light of the AZA's recommendation that pinioning be phased out. My first question also referred to (and asked about) the vulture's offspring, which a CM told me had recently hatched in the park.

"Specifically, our lappet-faced vultures came to us as a rescue after being injured in the wild. Because of this, they’re now reliant on human care and have been flight restricted since they’re unable to be released back into the wild."

This didn't tell me whether the vultures had been pinioned, and it also implied that all of the vultures were rescues, which isn't the case for the chicks that were bred at AK itself. Since my question asked directly whether these birds had been pinioned, I can only assume that the avoidance of a straightforward answer constitutes a yes.

"As an Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA)-accredited facility, we work closely with the organization to examine current and future animal care and management practices. We also have a strong focus on overall animal care and welfare and play a leadership role in many AZA programs."

Generic boilerplate, with nothing at all about pinioning or flight-restriction policies. Again, the logical inference is that they practise pinioning and don't want to say so in writing.

I'm disappointed but not really surprised by these vague and evasive answers. I'm still weighing up whether it's worth pushing for more details.
Trade and catching of many species is limited or outright prohibited. That's why zoo's are so eager to adopt 'rescued' animals. High prices are paid for injured, lost or stranded animals, so that a zoo can rescue them for the rest of their lives. Millions for killer whales.

The zoos then present this method of acquisition as their being an animal shelter...

Although sometimes the lines between zoo, shelter and reserve are quite blurred indeed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Pray, provide PETA's position on the propriety of pinioning prominent predatory pigeons...

J_Carioca

I really appreciate you posting this and, more importantly, pursuing the issue in the first place.

I remember spending the last night of my honeymoon in AK Lodge and looking out and wondering about the pelicans that were in the watering hole at the back of Jambo House. I then went down and asked one of the CMs and got the answer. It upset me a lot. I really feel that WDW makes great efforts to take care of the animals they have, and I am very supportive of the Disney Conservation Fund's work. Overall I can justify AK to myself based on their conservation-related activities. But pinioning a bird does not sit well with me at all. It's one thing to keep an animal in captivity but another to permanently deprive it of one of its most basic behaviours.

I would be totally willing to send a letter to AK asking for their policy on pinioning.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I really appreciate you posting this and, more importantly, pursuing the issue in the first place.

I remember spending the last night of my honeymoon in AK Lodge and looking out and wondering about the pelicans that were in the watering hole at the back of Jambo House. I then went down and asked one of the CMs and got the answer. It upset me a lot. I really feel that WDW makes great efforts to take care of the animals they have, and I am very supportive of the Disney Conservation Fund's work. Overall I can justify AK to myself based on their conservation-related activities. But pinioning a bird does not sit well with me at all. It's one thing to keep an animal in captivity but another to permanently deprive it of one of its most basic behaviours.

I would be totally willing to send a letter to AK asking for their policy on pinioning.

Thank you for your post. I'm glad you share my concern. Did the CM you spoke with specifically mention pinioning or refer more vaguely to wing-clipping?

I couldn't find a dedicated email or postal address for enquiries to AK specifically. If you have one, please do share!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom