Pictures from 'back in the day'

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep it would start by the gift shops by the World Showcase entryway and have minor stops..Interestingly you get to see what it looked like with No Norway, A sign by where Equitorial Africa would be and Morrocco being built in this video.

Unless I'm mistaken, I could not see the International Gateway. Was that built years after EPCOT opened?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, but they didn't do it for very long, comparatively. As you will notice, people are oblivious to their surroundings. They would sooner step in front of the bus, unaware that it was there, as blow their noses. Somebody was going to get killed or seriously hurt, if that didn't already happen. So, no more buses.

As soon as I started watching that video, I was really surprised to see the bus driving through crowds of people walking (many with their backs to the oncoming bus). I agree, that could have been an accident waiting to happen.

But I really like the idea of that 2-level bus driving around World Showcase, nonetheless. I think the only way this could have worked with more safety in mind, would have been if CMs were positioned along the route to alert the guests that a bus was coming through. The bus driver honked the horn many times and that would get the attention of many people, but not all.

Matt_Black

Unless I'm mistaken, I could not see the International Gateway. Was that built years after EPCOT opened?

Not years after, but it was somewhat after the opening. If memory serves, it was done to fulfill contractual obligations to the Swan & Dolphin, giving a "back door" and transportation options much like the Monorail does at Disneyland.

JohnHangen

Yes, as has already been said, the busses ran all day stopping at all the countries. I used to think I wanted to retire down there and drive one of those, but they are long gone. Guess I'll have to find something else to do during the retirement, but that is awhile away yet.
Please note that the position of train engineer at WDW has been already filled...by me after I retire. Just sayin.....

mergatroid

Original Poster
Dick Tracy

WhosWhoDickTracy-3.jpg

Teenage mutant ninja turtles

tumblr_lx9gb7Owcs1qlc8dbo1_500.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ace Ventura

hqdefault.jpg

What were Disney thinking, circus elephants in Epcot :mad:

scan0029.jpg

epcotisbest

Why they get ride of the World Showcase Transportation buses? It was more quicker to head to each country instead of walking.
It was just something different, fun and convenient to do. It was not for speed or efficiency in getting around the World Showcase.

Vegas Disney Fan

As soon as I started watching that video, I was really surprised to see the bus driving through crowds of people walking (many with their backs to the oncoming bus). I agree, that could have been an accident waiting to happen.

But I really like the idea of that 2-level bus driving around World Showcase, nonetheless. I think the only way this could have worked with more safety in mind, would have been if CMs were positioned along the route to alert the guests that a bus was coming through. The bus driver honked the horn many times and that would get the attention of many people, but not all.
I love all things Disney but have to believe this was simply a cost cutting measure, at Disneyland they run buses, horse drawn carriages, fire engines, and cars up and down main street and the hub half the day, all at the same time. It's chaotic but with the whistles, horns, and bells everyone gets out of the way even on the most crowded days.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I love all things Disney but have to believe this was simply a cost cutting measure, at Disneyland they run buses, horse drawn carriages, fire engines, and cars up and down main street and the hub half the day, all at the same time. It's chaotic but with the whistles, horns, and bells everyone gets out of the way even on the most crowded days.

They still do this at Disney World on Main Street, well at least they were doing last October when we rode one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom