Pictures and filming rides? Yes or no?

Should Disney ban photos/video taping on rides?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thelookingglass

Overall, when I'm riding pirates and there is someone in the boat in front of me snapping pics and flashing away, first my blood pressure increases, second i have a sudden urge to yell at them for being absolutely ignorant to the experience of others, finally, my family has to talk me down after we get off the ride from going and trying to explain to them why they are awful horrible people who should learn to read warnings and notices on the way into attractions.
I ask them to stop nicely first, and if they keep doing it, I get rude.

In fact, everyone should do the same. Its one thing to do it and stop after you're asked... its another to ignore the requests of others for your own selfishness. Be rude to people who keep doing it... its the only thing you can do.

Disneydreamer23

I have taken pics on snow white when it was only my family in the car, or in ones i dont need the light, but i was sitting next to some one on HM and literally a flash went off every 10 seconds and that did extremely annoy me!

rct247

Stitch's Great Escape is one of the few attractions that all camera/cell phone use is banned if remember right. The flash photography especially is because it disrupts the show for other guests and because it show how the magic is done. All other electronic devices are banned because during the dark scenes any light penetrating the theater can ruin illusion for other guests. Every time I have been inside that attraction, the CMs are pretty strict on no photography or cell phones.

Raven66

I did accidently take a flash on a ride once. I felt horrible. I apologized to everyone around me. The thing with a flash is once my eyes have adjusted to the dark, a flash going off can cause me to have a migraine. I'm sure they don't care, but I sure do. I have to close my eyes thru the star tunnel on Space Mountain. I do have drugs for it but they make me tired and I don't want to be tired in the Happiest Place On Earth!!:)

I did accidently take a flash on a ride once. I felt horrible. I apologized to everyone around me. The thing with a flash is once my eyes have adjusted to the dark, a flash going off can cause me to have a migraine. I'm sure they don't care, but I sure do. I have to close my eyes thru the star tunnel on Space Mountain. I do have drugs for it but they make me tired and I don't want to be tired in the Happiest Place On Earth!!:)

You should feel awful about your actions. JK. I know people make mistakes and forget to turnoff the flash but nevertheless it still disrupts the illusion that is created in the dark rides. I'm not upset about this but still one flash is all it take to disrupt another persons experience.

Lee

Adventurer
Photo/video without flash or external lighting? Perfectly fine.
Selling the photos/videos? Not cool at all.
Giving them away for free? Excellent.

pumpkin7

i agree with the external light thing, but i think people should be able to video and take pictures of what they want, as long as they don't jepodise the safety of the ride.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I can understand if some idiot has his light glaring at you in the eye, but for the most part, the flash doesnt bother me, on the contrary, it sometimes helps to be able to see things I normally wouldnt be able to see, more of the inner workings of the attraction.

Lets be real, if your on these boards, and your reading this thread, more than likely you have been to disney more than once so you already know what the ride is like. Some first timer with a camera shouldnt be so bothersome to you.
I've been to disney more times than I can count and I cant even recall a time where someone with a camera diminished the quality of my experience on the attraction.

The only time someone with a camera bothers me, is when they're taking pictures of things in the queue and not keeping up with the pace of the line
!
It's not like you will get on the attraction any sooner if they keep all the gaps filled in. :shrug:

muteki

IMO it is okay if...
  • Flash/external lighting is turned off
  • AND display/EVF is turned off

I have no problem with the principle of people doing it but I or anyone else on the ride shouldn't be able to tell you are doing it. Worst case is when someone uses flash in say, the seance room in HM and ruins the effect for everyone. 99% of the time the photo, if it is going to come out okay at all, will look better with flash off anyway.

Selling videos though, that's pretty lame. Especially considering all the content people put out for free just to document the attraction for everyone to enjoy.

dave&di

And how will we prevent people from getting on with a camera. Secondary bag checks and TSA pat-downs?

I hear the best way is to swing your elbow into the offending camera thus breaking said camera and repellent camera owners nose. This method seems to be very effective and also adds extra entertainment for youngsters to laugh at! Bonus! :drevil: Justice served!

janoimagine

Pictures turn out poorly, as do videos.

The only video I ever saw that did the ride justice was a Disney produced video of the POTC ride. I believe is was a bonus on the first Pirates movie, and is amazing.

Most, if not all amateur films are garbage compared to that one.

Jimmy Thick-Can't save that with a 400 iso...

If you know how to shoot, your picture will turn out fine on a dark ride or any ride for that matter.

Oh and FYI Jimmy - 400 iso is a pretty low iso setting, higher iso ... 1600 to 3200 and wider apetures like 1.4 to 2.8 are what you need to take a good shot without a flash in a dark ride, but I'm sure you already knew that before starting a thread on photography and filming ..... right Jimmy?
:lol:

the-reason14

Totally related to one of my earlier threads, which of course has taken on a life of its own, is the topic of filming or taking pictures on rides, especially the dark attractions.

The question is, should Disney stop allowing people to bring camera's, or video recorders into the dark rides?

Now, I understand some people my only have one chance to experience Disney World, and would like to keep a permanent momento of their vacation, but for the complete enjoyment of others in the park, I feel it should stop.

Why?

Nothing is more annoying than people taking flash picture on a dark ride, especially after your eyes have adjusted to the dark. This also goes for people video taping with a light source or with a backlighted monitor.

It totally ruins the experience.

People also taking pictures/video also tend to be all over the place in the ride vehicle as well, being mildly disruptive. I should not have to deal with that.

And some people try to sell ride films for profit, which I find deplorable.

Yes, you can have people not using flash or light sources, but now it seems they are few and far between, so I would personally prohibit all forms.

And when all is said and done, pictures and video just can't give you the true vision of the ride.

What do you think?

Jimmy Thick-Not fair, but neither is life...

It doesn't really bother me as much, and I don't really care. For the people who do film and it disrupts you, it's also not about you, but about them capturing the ride or their family or whatever. You can easily go back in line and ride again hoping you won't ride with someone filming.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It doesn't really bother me as much, and I don't really care. For the people who do film and it disrupts you, it's also not about you, but about them capturing the ride or their family or whatever. You can easily go back in line and ride again hoping you won't ride with someone filming.

At the risk of sounding like I'm taking sides....why should anyone HAVE to reride an attraction to enjoy it.

Nobody is entitled to pictures of everything at the expense of others enjoyment.

Sometimes it is about more than just one person.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Such a limited choice of voting. Some of us get stunning results with no external lighting at all. Some go to great lengths to capture attractions, play by the rules, and not get in the way of any other guest. Some even go so far as to only buy a camcorder that has a viewfinder that works instead of an LCD.

Thanks TubaGeek :wave:

If you know what you are doing, spectacular results can be gotten without using a flash or annoying anyone else:

Attachments

• DSC_0176.jpg
    DSC_0176.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom