News Pickeball comes to Walt Disney World

ohioguy

They need separate courts. The secondary lines on the courts get confusing and complicate play. Just turn a few courts at each resort over to pickleball or build new ones. Also, grab some popcorn, because tennis and pickleball players can be nasty to each other. 🍿

Epcotfan21

I could have sworn I also saw lines were added to the Boardwalk tennis courts to allow pickleball to be played there too. Passed the courts on a recent walk from Boardwalk to Studios.

Ayla

They need separate courts. The secondary lines on the courts get confusing and complicate play. Just turn a few courts at each resort over to pickleball or build new ones. Also, grab some popcorn, because tennis and pickleball players can be nasty to each other. 🍿
It must be irritating for players of both games to have to differentiate between the different lines for each game.

Lilofan

Ive heard that many homeowners get into battles with other homeowners and hoa's when they build pickleball courts right next to them. I've heard the noise can be not fun!
That noise may be short lived to try to play pickle ball summer time anywhere in FL outdoors.

surfsupdon

That's interesting. I've played one of the Disney courses and they're fine but not anything special IMO -- but there aren't really any special public courses in the Orlando area anyways. Streamsong between Tampa/Orlando is the closest place that has really top of the line public resort courses.

It's like tennis, but on a smaller court using solid paddles and a smaller ball, less bouncy ball. It's also MUCH louder than tennis, so they'll probably have to be careful about location and/or people playing early in the morning or late in the evening (not sure if they have opening/closing times for the courts).
The courts are 24hours. The lights are set to be turned off. When you play, you can turn a timer to turn the lights on for 20mins (like a hot tubs jets), then they automatically turn off. Really, the only court near Guest rooms is at Yacht, but it is surrounded by trees to absob the sound. We had played pickleball after dark in the 8-9pm hours.

surfsupdon

I could have sworn I also saw lines were added to the Boardwalk tennis courts to allow pickleball to be played there too. Passed the courts on a recent walk from Boardwalk to Studios.
They were under construction/refurbishment in March when we were there playing.

And yes, @GimpYancIent , my dad and I went to WDW solely for a pickleball weekend to escape the cold of NJ. It was great!

Lilofan

The courts are 24hours. The lights are set to be turned off. When you play, you can turn a timer to turn the lights on for 20mins (like a hot tubs jets), then they automatically turn off. Really, the only court near Guest rooms is at Yacht, but it is surrounded by trees to absob the sound. We had played pickleball after dark in the 8-9pm hours.
Sorry no trees can absorb the sound of pickle ball and if I hear it when I'm sleeping at Yacht, I'm calling the front desk to address my noise concern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom