News Pickeball comes to Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

What is foot golf?

I swear this thread is making things up to confuse me.

It's people just playing golf on a golf course but using a soccer ball and their foot.

Any relatively nice golf course isn't going to allow it, but some lower end places offer it to help increase their revenue.

CaptainAmerica

UNCgolf

Welp I'm an officially an old man because that has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Maybe I should take up pickleball.

As someone who loves actual golf, I agree that foot golf seems tremendously stupid. But some people apparently love it.

I also don't understand why anyone would want to play pickleball over actual tennis, with the possible exception of the elderly who maybe just can't move enough for tennis.

tanc

This must be where they plan to spend $17 billion over 10 years that Bob was talking about. Just Pickleball courts …
Iger is like an ordinary citizen who just hit the jackpot, first thing he needs is a financial advisor.

/s
I mean personally I don't even know what pickleball is, I've never played a game of it in my life. I hope the pickleball fanatics are happy about this.

Drdcm

So… I know this lady who sold her house of 40 years because they converted the tennis courts to Pickleball courts across the street. Apparently the noise became irritating and she had to move because of it.

That being said, it looks fun and I want to get into it.

UNCgolf

So… I know this lady who sold her house of 40 years because they converted the tennis courts to Pickleball courts across the street. Apparently the noise became irritating and she had to move because of it.

That being said, it looks fun and I want to get into it.

It really is incredibly loud compared to tennis, since it's a solid paddle hitting a solid ball.

I read a long article about it not that long ago -- even the referenced USA Pickleball is aware of the noise problem and doesn't discount it. The noise levels are something like 70-80 decibels 100 feet from a pickleball court, which is similar to the noise created by a freeway at that distance. It's a problem if it's near homes (or hotel rooms, in Disney's case).

Last edited:

Ayla

It really is incredibly loud compared to tennis, since it's a solid paddle hitting a solid ball.

I read a long article about it not that long ago -- even the referenced USA Pickleball is aware of the noise problem and doesn't discount it. The noise levels are something like 70-80 decibels 100 feet from a pickleball court, which is similar to the noise created by a freeway at that distance. It's a problem if it's near homes (or hotel rooms, in Disney's case).
It isn't a solid ball.

Club Cooloholic

A guy I play tennis with told me over the winter he got hooked on pickleball and wants me to play. I said I just didn't know of I am ready to make that move lol.
In all serious, I'm glad they have it as an option, anything to keep people happy and active. That said, are all the courts now lined with both or is it just some courts at each resort? I hate playing tennis on courts that have both lines as it can be hard to tell if the ball is out when playing fast. The worst is when they use white for both sets if lines!

DisneyDebRob

It's following the trends of popularity. Televised Tennis has been dropping viewership in the US for years at both the collegiate and professional levels. I could see them replacing the golf courses with something else as well.
If you have ever tried to get a tee time in WDW , you would know golf isnt going anywhere. Most time of the year you have to book way in advance to get a morning time. I’ve been shut out many time because I thought a month ahead was plenty of time. I never learn.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom