PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
oooh thank the lord, one can actually make it through the store now. It used to be so "whimsical" that I'd get 20 feet into the place and then immediately try to find the exit. It was okay on a slow day, but during a busy period it was pure hell. It could do with a little bit more decor, but I appreciate this as a step in the right direction.
They could have made it more functional without destroying the reason why people enjoyed the store in the first place. Might as well go to Wal-Mart to get your Merch.

Flynnwriter

HOMOGINIZATION OF DISNEY WORLD! The new, stripped down, unimaginative world of Disney store is symbolic of Disney World continuing to strip stores, restaurants and hotels of “Disney”. This remodel strips the store of color, theming, fantasy, creativity and leaves us with a Kohl’s or Gap - bland, ordinary, cheap and something we can get in every mall across America. Keep delivering ordinary Disney and you will find yourself without anything that makes you special.

Uncle Lupe

The store needed hard surface flooring. Easier to maintain and keep clean in such a high traffic area. But it is way to sparse and needs strong elements to set itself apart as The Disney Store.

HwdStudio

This change just makes me really sad. I feel like everything is going into this uniform style - everything has to match in a certain way. But, this is Disney. Not a fashion statement. Confuses me. This doesn't feel like Disney, at all.
How can you say “how it feels” without experiencing it? A few photos does not a feeling make. I like what I see in the photos. But will reserve judgement until I experience it. I might love it or hate it. It’s just a store. Certainly not going to let it cause me to “die inside”. I found the previous version claustrophobic. If I saw something I liked I could never come back to it because I couldn’t find it. Like I said once I experience the finished product I will make my decision and I will try not to be overly dramatic about a retail location.

FullSailDan

They could have made it more functional without destroying the reason why people enjoyed the store in the first place. Might as well go to Wal-Mart to get your Merch.

I don't think Disney is interested in drawing in the customer that found the previous design appealing.... That demographic doesn't match the target demo for the Springs and increasingly it's not the demographic that other experiences across the property are attracting. Merchandise has had a slight bump in quality of late with increased cost to consumer. That target market wont put up with the busy atmosphere and the crowds. In tandem were seeing a muddying of the moderate and "value" resorts receiving transport besides buses and upgrades to infrastructure. This is all slowly pushing for a more expensive client expansion.

I can't fault them, income inequality is getting worse and 'middle' class is losing purchasing power. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the next financial collapse happens though. They might be in the right here to capture a market that can afford luxuries during the period, but usually high wealth loves to invest in the market and capitalize on low rates.

KBLovedDisney

How can you say “how it feels” without experiencing it? A few photos does not a feeling make. I like what I see in the photos. But will reserve judgement until I experience it. I might love it or hate it. It’s just a store. Certainly not going to let it cause me to “die inside”. I found the previous version claustrophobic. If I saw something I liked I could never come back to it because I couldn’t find it. Like I said once I experience the finished product I will make my decision and I will try not to be overly dramatic about a retail location.
The Disney Store was a very very BIG part of my childhood, from the small retail stores in malls to the World of Disney. It was always a part of my Disney World vacation experience, always. I took out a couple of days each trip to just visit the store. Yes, you could still buy the same merchandise today, but it wasn't about the merchandise. It was the atmosphere. To me, them changing this, is like making the dolls in It's a Small World stationary.

disneyC97

While I hope there are some additional decorative fixtures/features to be added beyond a few screens, what most here may not remember is that before the most recent iteration of the 'World of Disney' store from the late 90s, the larger "character" shop(s) that predated it in the shopping district were fairly simple in interior design, matching the aesthetic of the buildings they were in, without a lot of over-the-top decorations that were seen in the past 20 years.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don't think Disney is interested in drawing in the customer that found the previous design appealing.... That demographic doesn't match the target demo for the Springs and increasingly it's not the demographic that other experiences across the property are attracting. Merchandise has had a slight bump in quality of late with increased cost to consumer. That target market wont put up with the busy atmosphere and the crowds. In tandem were seeing a muddying of the moderate and "value" resorts receiving transport besides buses and upgrades to infrastructure. This is all slowly pushing for a more expensive client expansion.

I can't fault them, income inequality is getting worse and 'middle' class is losing purchasing power. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the next financial collapse happens though. They might be in the right here to capture a market that can afford luxuries during the period, but usually high wealth loves to invest in the market and capitalize on low rates.
I'm not in the least bit trying to say I understand all of Disney's demographics, but if you go to Disney (no matter where on property), you expect to see authentic Disney. Disney Springs as a whole has gone the way of generic industrial look which sadly doesn't really lend itself to thinking you are in fact at WDW. This store continues this awful trend. You can step into that store and think, oh the Disney Store is nice and clean, but could easily be located at your local mall.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm going to go against the majority and say I really like the new look. I think it fits better with the style of Disney Springs (which I personally really like), and this type of store lets the merchandise be more the star of the show.

Another big plus is that the open layout lets you see everything on offer, rather than dealing with those little crowded rooms.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm going to go against the majority and say I really like the new look. I think it fits better with the style of Disney Springs (which I personally really like), and this type of store lets the merchandise be more the star of the show.

Another big plus is that the open layout lets you see everything on offer, rather than dealing with those little crowded rooms.
I agree that the functionally looks to be 100 times better. Just can't shake the Industrial neutered look, no matter if it matches the already bland DS look or not.

andysol

What is the fuss? I understand the nostalgia, but take that out, and it's much better.

Disney Springs is not Downtown Disney. You can't look at a single microcosm (one store) of an overall cohesive theme (Disney Springs) and criticize based on the microcosm when the previous version didn't fit the overall theme.

Pretend Downtown Disney never existed and this was a shopping area they just developed. They open Disney Springs as is, but have the tacky old World of Disney decor and 90s "whimsy"- it would very much stick out. And not in a good way.

To fully believe in "Disney Springs" and the story they set forth, everything needs to be brought into the same theme and timeline. You can't have one-offs or it kills the cohesive story.

Yes, it's just an outdoor shopping mall; but Disney Springs exceeded my expectations well beyond what I thought they could do. It is a massive improvement over Downtown Disney in almost every conceivable way.

Big picture, people. Big picture.

Flynnwriter

Stores don’t mimic their mall - they tell
The story of the brand. Disney owns magic and fantasy - the opposite of this bland, antiseptic store.

jaklgreen

I like it. It’s more wide open and bright; far less cluttered. When the boys were little, I used to be terrified of losing them in that maze. Hubby used to hold on to one kid, and I would hold on to the other for dear life.

A couple of years ago, Hubby and I got separated and had to text each other to reconnect. Even then, with all the gaudy, over-the-top props, it was hard to figure out where we were, and to actually spot each other.

I think that they could have de-cluttered it without changing the Disney feel. If this was any other shop, even any other Disney shop it would be nice. But this is WORLD OF DISNEY STORE. If you showed someone a picture of this without the merchandise, there is no way anyone would say that it is a Disney store, let alone their flagship store.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
What is the fuss? I understand the nostalgia, but take that out, and it's much better.

Disney Springs is not Downtown Disney. You can't look at a single microcosm (one store) of an overall cohesive theme (Disney Springs) and criticize based on the microcosm when the previous version didn't fit the overall theme.

Pretend Downtown Disney never existed and this was a shopping area they just developed. They open Disney Springs as is, but have the tacky old World of Disney decor and 90s "whimsy"- it would very much stick out. And not in a good way.

To fully believe in "Disney Springs" and the story they set forth, everything needs to be brought into the same theme and timeline. You can't have one-offs or it kills the cohesive story.

Yes, it's just an outdoor shopping mall; but Disney Springs exceeded my expectations well beyond what I thought they could do. It is a massive improvement over Downtown Disney in almost every conceivable way.

Big picture, people. Big picture.
If I have to hear that again, I will vomit...

Big Picture. Let's think about that for a minute. The design/decor that is Disney Springs of today is actually going to be quite dated sooner rather than later. The Industrial look is already on the tail end of being trendy and is on its way out. Its ok to not hop on every trend there is. Now this gripe I have is with the overall DS aesthetic but applys here as well.

dizneeboy

Were this any other store, I'd call it a nice shopping experience. Miss the Whimsy already. Keep the outside architecturally cohesive for sure but why remove the fun on the inside? That's what made it a great place to shop and not just another place to buy souvenirs you saw in the park or kill time before dinner reservations. Who'd have thought the airport Disney store would turn out more fun to shop in than the the flagship store in Disney Springs : )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom