PHOTOS - Temporary store to open during a major update to World of Disney at Disney Springs

I am Timmy

Funny you should say that. Knowing that WoD was going to be overhauled I took special attention to the figures on one of the side entrances. It was Huey, Dewey, and Louie and they were playing with a telescope. The telescope was S-shaped. Oh what whimsy!

The telescope had their magnified eye at the end of it. More whimsy!

The telescope had wings. What whim... wait, what?

The wings were mesh and therefore useless. What's going on?

The wings had blobby metal decals attached to them. What. The. Fudge.?

One of the nephews was holding an umbrella over him with no cloth, just the spines. Did I just accidentally drop acid?

Yeah, so that's what some nostalgiacs are mourning. IMO... good riddance.

Now, that doesn't mean I want a bare, white minimalist store with a handful of items on white pedestals. There's got to be a happy medium.

I'll wait 'till it's done to judge it.

Evidence that Imagineers were doing crack...

33498343570_38da0e3dfb_b.jpg
Then I guess I like Imagineers on crack.

Casper Gutman

Yes, it now matches the rest of the decor of what is now Disney Springs. But it is lacking the whimsical Disney-ness that made it feel enchanting.

Now, it just looks like any other store in Disney Springs.
Once again, Disney is ashamed to be Disney.

The point of stores like WoD is to get guests to wander around and look even if they have no intention of buying - at some point those wanderers might become shoppers. Why would anyone want to wander around what looks to be a hastily repurposed industrial warehouse?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

The point of stores like WoD is to get guests to wander around and look even if they have no intention of buying - at some point those wanderers might become shoppers. Why would anyone want to wander around what looks to be a hastily repurposed industrial warehouse?

"Although the store has reopened, it is not yet complete, and there is much more to come, including special effects and additional fixtures. These are expected to be in place for when the entire remodel is complete in late 2019, and are currently hidden behind scrims. "

KBLovedDisney

This change just makes me really sad. I feel like everything is going into this uniform style - everything has to match in a certain way. But, this is Disney. Not a fashion statement. Confuses me. This doesn't feel like Disney, at all.

Casper Gutman

"Although the store has reopened, it is not yet complete, and there is much more to come, including special effects and additional fixtures. These are expected to be in place for when the entire remodel is complete in late 2019, and are currently hidden behind scrims. "
This is the version they opened to the public, so it’s entirely fair to judge it. It seems unlikely, in any case, that whatever additional fixtures they add will change the “warehouse” aesthetic, which is the look of DS in general. I suspect (although I could be wrong) the added effects hidden by scrims are mostly video and projection screens to show Disney clips, which I believe is in line with the new Disney Store look.

FullSailDan

oooh thank the lord, one can actually make it through the store now. It used to be so "whimsical" that I'd get 20 feet into the place and then immediately try to find the exit. It was okay on a slow day, but during a busy period it was pure hell. It could do with a little bit more decor, but I appreciate this as a step in the right direction.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I like it. It’s more wide open and bright; far less cluttered. When the boys were little, I used to be terrified of losing them in that maze. Hubby used to hold on to one kid, and I would hold on to the other for dear life.

A couple of years ago, Hubby and I got separated and had to text each other to reconnect. Even then, with all the gaudy, over-the-top props, it was hard to figure out where we were, and to actually spot each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom