PHOTOS - Step inside new Fantasyland's Enchanted Forest

cynic710

One issue is that in some photos it is viewed with a zoom lens, where the entire thing is filling the photo. It is really a model, and is not meant to be viewed like that, it is supposed to be viewed from ground level.

thats a good point, and i think the color choice is to help create exaggerated distance, because if the colors were more pronounced then it would look even more like a toy model. the faded effect of pastel purple helps create depth.

wiigirl

Love the pictures! :)
75.gif

Prototype82

I think it's lack of texture that bothers people about Beast's castle. So much more could have been done with the front wall, especially where the bridge meets the archway. The pairing of the light tan with gray seemed strange to me at first but thematically it eventually made sense. Moulding and motifs are somewhat flat and simplified on the castle too. I can see why they made this design decision though. The structure is supposed to appear as if it's in the distance. It might make sense with the forced perspective but I think our brains want to register more detail as we get closer to things. Anyways, I am so incredibly happy with what Disney came up with. Striking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it's lack of texture that bothers people about Beast's castle. So much more could have been done with the front wall, especially where the bridge meets the archway. The pairing of the light tan with gray seemed strange to me at first but thematically it eventually made sense. Moulding and motifs are somewhat flat and simplified on the castle too. I can see why they made this design decision though. The structure is supposed to appear as if it's in the distance. It might make sense with the forced perspective but I think our brains want to register more detail as we get closer to things. Anyways, I am so incredibly happy with what Disney came up with. Striking.

The lack of texture makes sense to re-enforce the forced perspective. Looking at something that is far away you don't see all the details.

donsullivan

Premium Member
many of the images you are seeing are shot with long zoom lenses which will do some really strange things with compression of the various layers of the frame and really distort what the castle looks like.

I had a chance to experience a preview of Enchanted Tales with Belle a few weeks ago and got a better up-closer perspective. The forced perspective actually looks really great when you're in among the trees and other structures so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

tl77

When I first saw photos of the Castle I thought it should have been a least 50% larger so they would have been able to add more details to it, but after seeing it in person I thought the effect was pretty impressive, you need to see it in relation to its surroundings to get the full effect of it

Great photos btw!:)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everything looks amazing. It has been really cool to watch this thing being built from the ground up with so many awesome picture updates and overhead shots. I can't wait unit mine train is done and the whole thing is open.

Magic Lamp

I don't think the castle needs more details, I do think it needs a darker shade. Remember, it had been neglected for quite a few years, which should show some wear and tear on it including the paint and darkened corners on the walls due to exposure to the sometimes rough French country weather. At the same time, I'm not sure whether it's shown before or after the enchantment was lifted. If I remember correctly, it had a much brighter and shinier look at the end compared to the dark and dreary one throughout most of the film, and this version seems to try to be closer to that.

If you look at my current avatar, the colors had been darkened in general, which gives the castle an even sharper impression, much like in the scene where Maurice encounters it the first time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I swear it was just yesterday that this was nothing but a field I'd pass on my way to the Utilidors... and now it's this stunning piece of WDI work. Truly incredible, they've totally outdone themselves.

Thank you so much for sharing these, Steve!

We have definitly come a long way. It's been incredible following the project from start to finish. It's going to be really surreal when I finally get to set foot in the expansion which probably won't happen until late 2014.

Fantasyland_Full_11249.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom