PHOTOS - Section of 'Disney Springs' walkway revealed

PeterMarcus

I think it looks really great. After the neglect DTD has had for so long, I'm really excited.

That said, I find it forward-thinking that they stamped Disney Springs on a removable plate, so they can update them if DTD/DS ever changes its name again.

CrescentLake

Looks like this is one that Disney is trying to do right. With the other improvements around the parks I hope we have seen a turning point for Walt Disney World.

One would think so....some things seem to be moving in the right direction. DAK will be in excellent shape after Avatar, and DTD will be in similar shape after Disney Springs. But Epcot still needs an overhaul of Future World, the MK still has maintenance issues, and DHS is still in need of a massive expansion and placemaking.

So I'm cautious, but this is a good sign.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One would think so....some things seem to be moving in the right direction. DAK will be in excellent shape after Avatar, and DTD will be in similar shape after Disney Springs. But Epcot still needs an overhaul of Future World, the MK still has maintenance issues, and DHS is still in need of a massive expansion and placemaking.

So I'm cautious, but this is a good sign.
Agreed. If they really do a major overhaul at DHS including an area from a galaxy far, far away next then EPCOT will really look rough. Now it's at least masked by the mess that is DHS.

jt04

...because its pavement? There was recently an aerial shot floating around twitter. Not sure I am allowed to link to it though.

Still EL usually responds to anything that happens around the EL. I think some may not be willing to say anything nice about DS. At least for now.

CrescentLake

Still EL usually responds to anything that happens around the EL. I think some may not be willing to say anything nice about DS. At least for now.

Or I think you're intentionally trying to start trouble? Yeah thats great, glad the pavement/walkway looks good. Lets wait and see the final project before obnoxiously telling everyone "I told you so."

jt04

Or I think you're intentionally trying to start trouble? Yeah thats great, glad the pavement/walkway looks good. Lets wait and see the final project before obnoxiously telling everyone "I told you so."

As long as I get to say it at some point. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

MKCP 1985

I was in Orlando yesterday with some time to kill before a flight home. Went to Downtown Disney to check things out. Beautiful weather day - lots of construction walls up on the trail from here to there. Didn't see anything I thought news/photo worthy, but was glad to learn you can find espn at Splitsville. That will come in handy some fall Saturday

The Empress Lilly

Found it at last! @jt04

I think the walkway looks ok. I'm not superenthusiastic about the sudden trend to theme every bit of concrete walkway. It's not that I resent it, but I do think the cleverness of that is vastly overrated in the halls of WDI. It is a layer of detail, it is ornamentation, it is elaborate set dressing. But as the Repurposed Fantasyland Areas showed, all of that feels empty if it is not part of truly inspired design, of real placemaking.

If I were a movie producer, I'd hire this current WDI crop for art directors, but not for directors. They understand sets, but less so mood and story progression and moviemaking. They feel more interested in the act of design, in adding layers of detail (that is not necessarily a good thing!), than in the spectators and their experience of the product.

To make that point more concrete (groan!), if you make the pathway look like wood, then make it look like a proper pier. So put the palm trees and lampost elsewhere, and add a mooring. If you don't then all you've done is make your concete pathway look like an wooden pathway. And why not just use wood for that then?
(Which was a rethorical question! If one would answer it, I guess the proper reply is: because wood is more expensive and needs to be replaced more often. In which case, the entire exercise is thus reduced to cost cutting. Fake wood for want of the real thing)

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I don't read every thread!
I don't know, jt. Maybe DS will be really nice with really great looking sidewalks. I hope so! TBH I haven't been following DS superclosely. For the EL, based on those few pics Steve shared, this does not seem to mean much, apart from the surroundings looking marginally better than before.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom