PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

tikiman

I'd have to double check, but as far as I know, all of the DVC Grand Villas have 3-bedrooms and sleep 12+. They have Studios, 1BR, 2BR and Grand Villas. If these are 2BR and they refer to them as Grand Villas, they will have created yet another "standard". It would be very confusing to members, since each of those room types means something specific.

It is strange and it may be that they will not call them that. Maybe the guys working on the project don't have the correct name for the catagory or maybe Disney is just changing it up on us. They are unique so it maybe they will be grand not for their size but for their uniqueness. We all know Disney changes things like for years any room facing the water at the Polynesian was a lagoon view then they changed some to Themepark View to charge more. Maybe they want to call these Grand Villas so they can charge the Grand price. I can’t wait to see how it turns out but I don’t have much hope that I will be staying in one.

Tom

Beta Return
It is strange and it may be that they will not call them that. Maybe the guys working on the project don't have the correct name for the catagory or maybe Disney is just changing it up on us. They are unique so it maybe they will be grand not for their size but for their uniqueness. We all know Disney changes things like for years any room facing the water at the Polynesian was a lagoon view then they changed some to Themepark View to charge more. Maybe they want to call these Grand Villas so they can charge the Grand price. I can’t wait to see how it turns out but I don’t have much hope that I will be staying in one.

Could very well be.

And I doubt we will either - especially if they're 2BR. We don't have enough points, and that's way overkill for what we'd need.

tikiman

Could very well be.

And I doubt we will either - especially if they're 2BR. We don't have enough points, and that's way overkill for what we'd need.

I wanted a one bedroom but if it comes true about them telling me they will all be converted to Studios I will have to see if it is worth it. They will be almost 100 sqft bigger than the studios at the GF so I guess they will have a lot of room to work with.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I can say that, even without seeing the prices/points set just yet, that I'll never be able to stay in one of these bungalows.

Or, with how they keep raising the rates, at the rest of the Polynesian.

Tom

Beta Return
I wanted a one bedroom but if it comes true about them telling me they will all be converted to Studios I will have to see if it is worth it. They will be almost 100 sqft bigger than the studios at the GF so I guess they will have a lot of room to work with.

We stayed in two studios during our long trip a couple weeks ago. Too small for me, but they were old too. With the Poly rooms being so large, a Studio might not be too bad. Maybe they'll put adult-sized beds in them, instead of the "Oversized Double" that they call a Queen in the rest of them.

tikiman

We stayed in two studios during our long trip a couple weeks ago. Too small for me, but they were old too. With the Poly rooms being so large, a Studio might not be too bad. Maybe they'll put adult-sized beds in them, instead of the "Oversized Double" that they call a Queen in the rest of them.

Looks like the studios will have a connecting door so you could get two of them.

Tom

Beta Return
Looks like the studios will have a connecting door so you could get two of them.

Interesting. Is that because the rooms currently have connecting doors, and they're just leaving them in place? Two studios wouldn't be terrible, as long as they have adequate bedding.

tikiman

Interesting. Is that because the rooms currently have connecting doors, and they're just leaving them in place? Two studios wouldn't be terrible, as long as they have adequate bedding.

The plans we saw show them connecting. I don't think it has to do with them connecting now because the door looks to be in a different location (closer to the main door).

Pick145

Few construction shots from this morning
20140324_092415.jpg20140324_093259.jpg 20140324_093425.jpg

mm121

Why would they be priced so high? Grand Floridian villas are high priced because it is supposed to be their top hotel. Bay lakes two bedrooms aren't that high . I still think they will be priced at the same points as the tree house villas considering they are similar. Both being spate buildings for each 2 bedroom unit. they wont put them near grand Floridian 2 bedroom points because it will devalue the grand floridain.

Bay lakes 2 bedroom theme park views go for 50 or 59 a night depending on if its a weekend or weekday
i'm sure they will be expensive since theres a very very small suply of them, and as of right now its the only DVC at poly since i belive the rest of the project has been scaled back. they will DEFINITELY DEFINITELY cost more than THV soley due to being a "monorail" hotel.
I guess we will know by next year but even with them being 2 bedrooms they are still calling them Grand Villas. I don't know enough about DVC but I'm guessing Disney can call them anything they want. Does it say that a Grand Villa has to be more than 2 bedrooms or has it just been that way up to now? Also I have never heard them say that they would be lockoffs.
lockofffs??
I’m not one of those people that think building over the water was a bad idea. I think it gives you great views of the lake and Magic Kingdom but I don’t see why you would take up square footage by cutting a hole in the floor to put a window to look at lake water. Also it does not look like there are any holes cut in the floor of the existing rooms so I am putting this one in the false rumor category. I have never heard anyone that is working on the project ever say they even considered putting glass bottoms in the rooms.
definitely no glass bottoms, as that would just be gross.. in a dream world they'd build a specal clean lagoon under them, but i know thats not happening.. they really shold build a pool under these and by the real beach for the true french poly bora bora feel. Under the villas would really only need to be like a foot or 2 max to have a huge visual impact.
I'm opposed to it as it goes against everything that a bungalow should be. IE, access to the water. The water being clear, clean, and swimmable. A gorgeous view of clear clean water, and the next bungalow being 50 feet away at least... not 50 inches away.

Sure, you got a great, unobstructed view of the MK. Awesome. Amazing, in fact. But I also had that from the beach directly across from the MK, while parked in a lounge chair, feet dug into the sand, and a strong adult beverage in hand.

I just don't get it, but that's ok, because I'm obviously not the target audience for these bungalows. So as long as someone gets it, that's all that matters, right?

they do definitely seem pretty close together, and i wonder how much privacy the decks will have in the back considering they back up to the ferry route
Just can't get my head around these bungalows. I still think this concept sounds better on paper than in reality, At least for us Poly fans, Disney,however,will be pleased by the revenue I am sure.

My concern is that all the changes will take away from the general feel of the resort. Locking people out of the resort main areas (which I get) also takes away something too. The bungalows also change the look and feel of the Seven Seas Lagoon, which I think is a magical place.

The fact is our little gem is changing and all us Poly fans have to face this reality. I do admit I fear change and I am still writhing about the Contemporary's (ground floor) game room closing, but that's something me and my therapist are still working out ;)
i'm reserving judgement on them till we see the final product

contemporary game room?
I can understand any of the villas are going to be expensive, but I sure do wish at least one of the monorail resorts was cheaper. I've always wanted to stay at one of these places, but around $400 a night is just too much for me. That, combined with the fact that I really go to Disney more for the parks, and that there are plenty of nice moderate and even value resorts out there, I just can't do it.
i would love to do a relaxing disney trip extended stay to be able to actually enjoy the hotel.. but typically i'm hardly in the hotel at all so it really doesn't matter where we stay.
I heard you on Enchanted Tiki Talk podcast talking about this. Great job by the way. But having a tv on the floor with an ocean bottom is another thing but still not a good idea.
a tv in the floor would be a GREAT idea.. they did that on extreme home makeover and it turned out super cool.
16-emhe-ocean-bedroom-640h.jpg
y

however the rest of their room was kinda cheesy over the top themed
14-emhe-tiki-bedroom-800w.jpg

Ha…thanks :)
I don’t see them putting anything in but I just figured if they did anything they would have a monitor with some digital animation showing water and creatures like they do with the ship animated portholes. No one involved with the project has even suggested they will do anything like that.

they so need some more creative designers.. seems they dont do anything that "pushes the envelope" design wise and instead keep things on the generic side

and it was sad to hear that they are tearing out the poly lobby fountain citing maintenance

a fountain is way easy than a giant aquarium would be.

Last edited:

ryguy

"i'm reserving judgement on them till we see the final product

contemporary game room?"

Fiesta Fun Center: Originally used as exhibit space for conventions, this giant arcade had many mechanical games, such as themed shooting galleries, an auto racing game that used plastic overlays, skee ball, and video games. There was also a theater for watching Disney films. There was also a snack bar that was open 24 hours a day. This area was then known as the Food and Fun Center and the movie theater was removed. The area later became a restaurant/bar called The Wave. The arcade area moved to the Grand Canyon Concourse and guests looking for a snack can go to the Contempo Cafe.

To sum it up: awesome :)

mm121

"i'm reserving judgement on them till we see the final product

contemporary game room?"

Fiesta Fun Center: Originally used as exhibit space for conventions, this giant arcade had many mechanical games, such as themed shooting galleries, an auto racing game that used plastic overlays, skee ball, and video games. There was also a theater for watching Disney films. There was also a snack bar that was open 24 hours a day. This area was then known as the Food and Fun Center and the movie theater was removed. The area later became a restaurant/bar called The Wave. The arcade area moved to the Grand Canyon Concourse and guests looking for a snack can go to the Contempo Cafe.

To sum it up: awesome :)

never knew there was ever a movie theatre anywhere other than DD

tl77

As someone mentioned a DVC Grand Villa is 3 bedrooms and sleeps 12+, but not all the DVC's have Grand Villas, Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge don't and they were both added on the existing hotels like these Poly rooms... but, when they do add a DVC to an existing resort, they generally refer to them as "villas" the official name for the new DVC building at the Grand Floridian is "The Villas at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa" the Beach Club DVC are just called "The Beach Club Villas" so the official name for the Poly DVC probably has "villas" in the title, hope that clears things up a bit

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom