PHOTOS - New concept art shows more of what we can expect at Disney Springs

lazyboy97o

I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the Disney Springs news. So the new stores at Disney Springs are going to be additional Disney owned and operated stores? In the original press release didn't they talk about doubling the retail and dining locations? That's a lot of new Disney souvenir shops. Has the size/scope of the project changed? So far all I remember seeing released publicly are the restaurants where PI was.
Disney has not said much of anything regarding the tenants of Disney Springs. It's mostly speculation from what has occurred since Pleasure Island's closing. I personally would be surprised to see most of the new space filled with third party operators just because they have had such difficulties in recent years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney has not said much of anything regarding the tenants of Disney Springs. It's mostly speculation from what has occurred since Pleasure Island's closing. I personally would be surprised to see most of the new space filled with third party operators just because they have had such difficulties in recent years.

OK. Makes sense. Still no word on a vendor list.

jt04

OK. Makes sense. Still no word on a vendor list.

Actually the rumor Disney can't get third party vendors is a myth created on these boards. I do not read tea leaves as some suggest, rather I just apply reason. Stay tuned to see if Disney can attract vendors or if the claim that they can't is just a myth.

CDavid

Actually the rumor Disney can't get third party vendors is a myth created on these boards. I do not read tea leaves as some suggest, rather I just apply reason. Stay tuned to see if Disney can attract vendors or if the claim that they can't is just a myth.

You are correct, it is not true to say Disney has been unable to attract vendors. They were in fact able to attract a grand total of 1 (one) third party (Marriott) to Flamingo Crossings - over several years - before finally giving up on the (mistaken) project. Hmm...doesn't sound like a myth to me after all.

So far, Disney has been unable to attract more than a mere handful of confirmed third party vendors to Disney Springs (several of which have opened in already existing MarketPlace or West Side locations, which presumably could have happened even without the Disney Springs expansion). The lack of hardly any tenant announcements by this point would, I have to imagine, be enough to make further prospective tenants nervous about signing agreements.

lazyboy97o

Then where is this grand long list? Why don't you give us ten new third party operators who signed on for Flamingo Crossing and/or the various Downtown Disney projects.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are correct, it is not true to say Disney has been unable to attract vendors. They were in fact able to attract a grand total of 1 (one) third party (Marriott) to Flamingo Crossings - over several years - before finally giving up on the (mistaken) project. Hmm...doesn't sound like a myth to me after all.

So far, Disney has been unable to attract more than a mere handful of confirmed third party vendors to Disney Springs (several of which have opened in already existing MarketPlace or West Side locations, which presumably could have happened even without the Disney Springs expansion). The lack of hardly any tenant announcements by this point would, I have to imagine, be enough to make further prospective tenants nervous about signing agreements.
If this is the case I would assume we will see a stop in construction once the garages go up. There is no reason to build a bunch of additional store fronts that will end up vacant. They will likely flesh out the PI area which is already heavily under construction but the main area shown in the concept art that looks like a traditional mall layout would have to be scrapped. I think that's the area in front of where PI is now (in front of T-Rex) that extends out into what was the parking lot/bus stop area. I think it's called Town Center in the original art or something along those lines. They announced that Disney Springs would double the number of stores/restaurants from 75 to 150. The vast majority of the new locations were going to be in the Town Center expansion. I would assume they could keep the new theming for West Side and the Landing area (PI) without building the Town Center. It wouldn't be the first Disney project to change plans half way through.

Could it also be possible that Town Center is the last part of the construction mainly due to the logistical issues with parking and bus routes and that is why no tenants for that area have been announced? They can't break ground on that section until the garages are built and they can absorb the parking spots into the construction. Any vendor announced so far for the project is located in the areas already under construction and are the first things that will open. I'm not local and don't have any insight into the process of vendor solicitation but it's a possibility. Maybe That's just being optimistic. Either way we should know in a little over a year. When the garages are up they will either cancel the Town Center part of the project or start announcing new vendors. They can't possibly build 75 new Disney owned locations.

71jason

They already failed with American Girl and Shake Shack ... who else is coming JT? I can't prove a negative, the onus is on you to show third party entities lining up to be a part of Disney Springs.

Stitchon

Could it also be possible that Town Center is the last part of the construction mainly due to the logistical issues with parking and bus routes and that is why no tenants for that area have been announced?

The expansion of my local outlet center was 100% pre-leased several years in advance of construction. If the demand is there and Disney had a firm plan laid out (jury's still out), then there's nothing stopping them from signing tenants. In fact, Caruso projects like The Americana at Brand and The Grove were contingent on being fully leased before construction even began. If a retailer wants into a project THAT BAD, they'll commit and wait if they have to.

roj2323

Lets not forget that it is possible that some companies will pull their stores out of nearby malls to be in Disney Springs and there is also the draw of having a steady supply of locals, particularly cast members who will shop there simply for the discount opportunities. Additionally I think we will be seeing retailers from other countries which will only be seen in disney springs which would also be a draw in of itself. I am cautiously optimistic.

lazyboy97o

The Marketplace still strikes me as the busiest section of Downtown Disney. That area also seems to have the most Disney owned shops, so it may not be too crazy to expand Disney's own retail and dining square footage.

Lets not forget that it is possible that some companies will pull their stores out of nearby malls to be in Disney Springs and there is also the draw of having a steady supply of locals, particularly cast members who will shop there simply for the discount opportunities. Additionally I think we will be seeing retailers from other countries which will only be seen in disney springs which would also be a draw in of itself. I am cautiously optimistic.
That may be, but it wouldn't really impact the announcement of tenants. Who puts off going to buy pants because The Gap is going to move in a year or two? The foreign tourists who buy in bulk are also coming now. It's a very now business, not one planned months or years ahead.

roj2323

The Marketplace still strikes me as the busiest section of Downtown Disney. That area also seems to have the most Disney owned shops, so it may not be too crazy to expand Disney's own retail and dining square footage.

That may be, but it wouldn't really impact the announcement of tenants. Who puts off going to buy pants because The Gap is going to move in a year or two? The foreign tourists who buy in bulk are also coming now. It's a very now business, not one planned months or years ahead.

Businesses keep their mouth shut as to not off the people they rent space from in MULTIPLE malls. Letting a lease run out is one thing but saying screw you we're moving is just bad business. Additionally why would you advertise to your competition that you are moving into a new unique mall when you can keep it quiet and possibly gain a competitive edge by being there first and getting the mall to agree to a lease addendum banning specific competitors from renting in said mall or at least in the adjacent units.

lazyboy97o

Businesses keep their mouth shut as to not off the people they rent space from in MULTIPLE malls. Letting a lease run out is one thing but saying screw you we're moving is just bad business. Additionally why would you advertise to your competition that you are moving into a new unique mall when you can keep it quiet and possibly gain a competitive edge by being there first and getting the mall to agree to a lease addendum banning specific competitors from renting in said mall or at least in the adjacent units.
These are mostly large businesses. It doesn't get that personal. The current mall has an existing agreement they have to honor, it's not like they can just raise the rent or kick the store out. Exclusivity deals would not be contingent on not making an announcement.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The expansion of my local outlet center was 100% pre-leased several years in advance of construction. If the demand is there and Disney had a firm plan laid out (jury's still out), then there's nothing stopping them from signing tenants. In fact, Caruso projects like The Americana at Brand and The Grove were contingent on being fully leased before construction even began. If a retailer wants into a project THAT BAD, they'll commit and wait if they have to.
I guess all I'm saying is does anyone actually know for a fact that they have no tenants lined up or is this just all assumptions based on the fact that no tenant list has been announced? From what I'm reading here it's just assumptions. If it's just assumptions then really no new news here. The day after the Disney Springs announcement we started hearing grumblings that they would not find vendors willing to move in. If someone with some inside info can confirm this then that would be news. We'll have to wait and see, but I stand by my other statement. They will not build 75 storefronts and leave them vacant so if they have no tenents then a portion of the project will be canceled. Do they need both parking garages if they aren't significantly expanding the size? Maybe we'll know by the end of the year if they never start building the second garage.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These are mostly large businesses. It doesn't get that personal. The current mall has an existing agreement they have to honor, it's not like they can just raise the rent or kick the store out. Exclusivity deals would not be contingent on not making an announcement.
Maybe some were burned by Disney in the past. They had several attempts at new shopping centers that never got off of the ground. If it was me I would wait until I was certain they were actually going through with the plans before publicly admitting to being involved and potentially disrupting my operation in an existing location.
I never really fully understood the desire to bring in all 3rd party vendors (especially for restaurants). I could see having a mix, but there are huge profits in food and especially alcohol. I know they gave up on PI, but not having the large overhead of nightclubs would make it more profitable too.

jt04

That perfectly describes the 'wishful thinking' many here engage in. Just because Disney does not announce everything they are doing as soon as it is green lit does not mean nothing is happening. There could very well be unannounced tenants for FC. We know for an absolute fact that there are for DS.

I was just marveling ;) the scale of the projects going on at WDW and the fact that so few of the fan base are even aware of them. WDWMagic readers are very much the exception to the rule. :geek:

jt04

Then where is this grand long list? Why don't you give us ten new third party operators who signed on for Flamingo Crossing and/or the various Downtown Disney projects.

Disney does not function like the other places. The other places probably have to announce every new peanut stand and pony ride. And that is OK.

jt04

They already failed with American Girl and Shake Shack ... who else is coming JT? I can't prove a negative, the onus is on you to show third party entities lining up to be a part of Disney Springs.

There were short term leases signed because they new all the upheaval that was coming. This project has the logistics of DCA 2.0. And it should be examined with that in mind. IMO.

Mouse Detective

I was told by a reliable source that Disney Springs has a lot of leases signed and they're waiting to finalize two or three more and then will make the announcement. Many are vendors not currently located in this part of the country. Whether any of this is true, remains to be seen.

James Browning

I heard a rumor that somewhere there is a really cool model of what Disney Springs will look like once completed. What I heard is that the model uses HD projections (like on the castle) to come alive. Does anyone know how we can get a look?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I heard a rumor that somewhere there is a really cool model of what Disney Springs will look like once completed. What I heard is that the model uses HD projections (like on the castle) to come alive. Does anyone know how we can get a look?

Here is a video of it from when Disney Springs was first announced. I don't think the model is available to be viewed by the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom