PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As somewhat creepy as the little guy is, anything that helps give that mound of colored rock more presence is appreciated.

Still, it's such a sad and underwhelming centerpiece to the lobby.
The grand twenty foot high waterfall with sprawling floral accents that created an amazing emotion of sight, sound and smell upon entering the lobby apparently lacked a feeling of 'Polynesia',.. but a psychotic smiling Tiki man standing on a pile of what looks like petrified horse manure sure does! I joke, people. Save your breathe, ya, there was mold...or whatever

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I recently visited the Polynesian and I was hit by the familiar smell as soon as I walked in. I was shocked. I still think it is a downgrade, for sure but I am quite content with the changes. The Poly Tiki is what brings it all together. This all coming from a life long fan of the resort.

So it is still there? We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was hard to tell. My wife and I were sniffing around like crazy people for a few minutes. However, we were there in the evening, after 'Ohana and Kona Café had been on full blast.

Haymarket2008

So it is still there? We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was hard to tell. My wife and I were sniffing around like crazy people for a few minutes. However, we were there in the evening, after 'Ohana and Kona Café had been on full blast.
I definitely smelled it. It was particularly prominent from the entrance up into the center of the room. It may have been the smell of the two outside fountains/pools. But as I was walking around near Kona and Tambu the Poly smell that I know and love was there. I could be crazy, but it still seemed like my hotel.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I definitely smelled it. It was particularly prominent from the entrance up into the center of the room. It may have been the smell of the two outside fountains/pools. But as I was walking around near Kona and Tambu the Poly smell that I know and love was there. I could be crazy, but it still seemed like my hotel.
Well then, according to some, that would mean that the mold is still present and this entire refurb was for nothing? Lol

jeffk410

Real excited about this since i'll be staying at the Poly the first week of May. I was hoping for an opening before 4PM - isn't the west coast version open earlier? Also, any word on whether or not tables in wonderland will be accepted?

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Real excited about this since i'll be staying at the Poly the first week of May. I was hoping for an opening before 4PM - isn't the west coast version open earlier? Also, any word on whether or not tables in wonderland will be accepted?

I could be wrong, but I believe every bar on the MK loop opens after 4 PM.

redjebvt

Not sure if that second piece of concept art for Trader Sam's is new or not (if so, guess I missed it earlier), but it looks like they saved Uh-Oa from the Tiki Room and are repurposing her in Trader Sam's.

Father Robinson

Fortunately, the tiki is far more friendly than I had anticipated. However, I had hoped that Disney would have some of their sculptures go back over the rock work and improve it to better resemble the rock work outside... and add in more whitewater so we can see it cascading down. In photos it's not looking like a fountain at all.

Now that the conversion is complete I'll give it my grade: It has earned a solid C. My reasoning, in this age developers and artists are able to achieve so much more than ever before. They could have ripped out the the old fountain and created this at any point in time, including back when the resort was first built. There is nothing "wow" about this. Nothing to write home about.

What would have earned an "A" with me? How about digging out a channel in the tile so that, like with WL, it looks like there is a stream flowing from the front to the back of the resort? Add in bridges and make it feel like the open air resorts the Polynesian islands are known for by mimicking some feature of nature.

A "B" would have been to create a narrow ceiling to floor cascade on a glass-like substance -or- something with some kinetic energy to it (No, I have no ideas here, but I'm sure there are artdy people out there would could envision something amazing)
I think your C grade was very generous based on your statement that they COULD have built something far more grand. I give it a rock solid F. Fail. Fail to wow, fail to improve, fail to impress, fail to compete with the other deluxe resorts, fail to let lifelong fans know they care about WHY they're lifelong fans... Fail fail fail. At least when MSB became home to Starbucks, they cared enough not to upset the theming too much from the outside.

note2001

I think your C grade was very generous based on your statement that they COULD have built something far more grand. I give it a rock solid F. Fail. Fail to wow, fail to improve, fail to impress, fail to compete with the other deluxe resorts, fail to let lifelong fans know they care about WHY they're lifelong fans... Fail fail fail. At least when MSB became home to Starbucks, they cared enough not to upset the theming too much from the outside.

With a C, the student isn't kicked out of school. However, their company is not reimbursing them for tuition costs as they require a B or better.

Updating my grade to a C- ... The tikishrug looks like he's standing on a pile of dung. :/

pmaljr

He's here!

CAyKS8oUwAAp4L9.jpg
CAyKbOiU0AAz7X3.jpg
CAyKaKiUcAAkk2E.jpg
CAyKTo-UUAItRr3.jpg

Photos from WDWShutterbug.

Caption: Don't ask me why they got rid of the fountain.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Certainly helps the rock feature. I guess I am with the loyal opposition party in liking the new lobby. Planter never "wowed" me, and it was overall too dark and claustrophobic. They needed to free up some floor space although I thing they could have done a better job with the smaller footprint of the new feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom