PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

MerlinTheGoat

How about no more mold and mildew problem in the GCH as an improvement. How about CM not working in a sick building. You don't have to spend more than 2 minutes inside the GCH to know that there is clearly an issue with the air quality in that building.
Or instead of ripping the structure out to save money, they could perhaps simply re-adopt the basic maintenance and cleanliness standards that were at the core foundation of the company prior to 1994. The philosophies that the parks were built on in the first place and differentiated them from other nasty theme parks. Not to mention basics that most other well-run upscale hotels will know to follow.

Things rot and mildew when you don't maintain and clean them properly, water does that (as we've seen with numerous dilapidated Disney World rides such as Maelstrom, Small World, and Splash Mountain before its 2013 refurb). It shouldn't be treated like expensive and complicated rocket science for a mega corporation like Disney to adopt such simple preventative measures to ensure such problems don't spring up in the first place (though some bean counters in the company treat basic maintenance and cleanliness as if it cost as much as rocket science).

The US parks always managed to make staggeringly massive profits while still adhering to those standards. That was back when the company was an infinitely smaller, less diversified and less well known entity than it is now (not to mention with far less extra money to spare on such basic standards of upkeep compared to the profits they make today). Tokyo Disneyland still does adhere to such standards (because they're owned and run by a company that, unlike Disney, actually cares about the state of their parks).

Was it nice in the day? Yeah I guess, but thing change. There are a lot of what you term "positive" construction work going on at the poly. Maybe you're turned off by the fact that it is DVC driven, but as DVC member I am excited over the improvements coming. Now clearly you have no faith that Disney does anything right, as indicated by your rhetoric, but I will keep an open mind and wait until everything is done. At the end of the day, if you still don't like it, don't go. Show Disney they screwed up by not spending your money there.
It was nice in "the day", and it's still nice in this day. It was well designed and pretty scenery from the beginning and it still packs (or rather packed) a lovely visual punch in modern times. Things change, that doesn't mean all change is bad but it CERTAINLY doesn't mean it has to be good either. The Trade Sams area could be argued as a good change, but what they're doing to the lobby is most certainly a bad one.

Now clearly you have no faith that Disney does anything right, as indicated by your rhetoric, but I will keep an open mind and wait until everything is done.
I have provided ample praise to the company where it's due. I don't hate the other alterations such as the Trader Sams bar. But that doesn't excuse the decimation of a classic and still great looking lobby icon. In fact, the lobby changes (and the inherent maintenance cuts that created the problems with it in the first place) are even LESS excusable given that the bar area will be providing even more profits to an already huge corporation (further throwing any arguments out the window to excuse the cost cutting at the customer's expense). I fail to see how destroying the lobby's lovely centerpiece at all enhances the experience for DVC members or anyone else. All you're getting as compensation is an admittedly fairly well themed bar area wherein you'll be forking over more money on overpriced booze.

Last edited:

Bocabear

How about no more mold and mildew problem in the GCH as an improvement. How about CM not working in a sick building. You don't have to spend more than 2 minutes inside the GCH to know that there is clearly an issue with the air quality in that building.

Was it nice in the day? Yeah I guess, but thing change. There are a lot of what you term "positive" construction work going on at the poly. Maybe you're turned off by the fact that it is DVC driven, but as DVC member I am excited over the improvements coming. Now clearly you have no faith that Disney does anything right, as indicated by your rhetoric, but I will keep an open mind and wait until everything is done. At the end of the day, if you still don't like it, don't go. Show Disney they screwed up by not spending your money there.
There are tons of ways to mitigate Mold without removing the actual water feature...just as their are tons of buildings that have a more elaborate garden and water feature than this one had, and do not have mold issues... The mold is a red herring and not the reason for the removal at all. And as a DVC member I am excited that there will be a DVC there, but not the least bit happy about this change...Unless Disney is seriously hiding something wonderful that will appear in the final product, I am pretty depressed about the changes here...

tikiman

as this mold thing been confirmed?

also air quality would be more related to AC units than a fountain imho.

Mold was not even on the list of issues. It is just the buzz word used by people when it comes to moisture. There were many other issues with the waterfall and some could cause health issues if they didn't constantly address them. People in here want to come up with their own reasons Disney removed the waterfall with no supporting facts so it is best just to let them vent and not argue with them.

Removal of the waterfall also had nothing to do with DVC going in. The removal has been discussed for years before they decided to do DVC.

Cesar R M

Mold was not even on the list of issues. It is just the buzz word used by people when it comes to moisture. There were many other issues with the waterfall and some could cause health issues if they didn't constantly address them. People in here want to come up with their own reasons Disney removed the waterfall with no supporting facts so it is best just to let them vent and not argue with them.

Removal of the waterfall also had nothing to do with DVC going in. The removal has been discussed for years before they decided to do DVC.
thanks for the clarification Tikiman.

There are tons of ways to mitigate Mold without removing the actual water feature...just as their are tons of buildings that have a more elaborate garden and water feature than this one had, and do not have mold issues... The mold is a red herring and not the reason for the removal at all. And as a DVC member I am excited that there will be a DVC there, but not the least bit happy about this change...Unless Disney is seriously hiding something wonderful that will appear in the final product, I am pretty depressed about the changes here...
What was the reason for the removal? Please be very specific.

cspencer96

Didn't part of it have something to do with recirculating outdoors and indoors being a potential health issue?

zero creativity

Was there on Saturday and there were walls everywhere. Made it really hard to get around. Saw one gentleman walk in and see the plans and he about freaked out over the fountain being removed. He just kept repeating why over and over

Bocabear

Stroller parking.
lol
While the Poly felt very unique, the concept of a hotel Lobby with a water feature and trees was not unique in the world...there are probably many other right in Orlando. Gaylord Palms has complete waterways with fish and a swamp in the hotel... Every Embassy Suites has trees and Water...The Grand Hyatt...none of them have mold problems or any health risks from the indoor gardens...There are no health reasons to remove the fountain other than they did not want to keep up with the maintenance that could develop into a potential problem... This was all planned years ago.

tikiman

lol
While the Poly felt very unique, the concept of a hotel Lobby with a water feature and trees was not unique in the world...there are probably many other right in Orlando. Gaylord Palms has complete waterways with fish and a swamp in the hotel... Every Embassy Suites has trees and Water...The Grand Hyatt...none of them have mold problems or any health risks from the indoor gardens...There are no health reasons to remove the fountain other than they did not want to keep up with the maintenance that could develop into a potential problem... This was all planned years ago.

That answer about no health reasons is not based on facts at all but you have the right to your opinion.

cspencer96

Yes that was one of many reasons.
Thought so. I'm not happy about all of the changes, but this I am not sure how to feel about simply because, as you said, it has been discussed for years and would happen with or without DVC. I just know everything at Poly looked so depressing when I visited toward the end of may.

Bocabear

What are the health reasons? It is recirculating water and trees, and I am not picking a fight either nor will I be offended, but would love to know what these health reasons are...

We all know the "we wanted to open up the lobby blah blah" reasons given by Disney is just a cover, or at least not the really for real reasons they are ripping it out. It sounds like we would at least like Disney to say "Look guys, we know you really liked it but we really couldn't keep it because of X, Y, and Z". That will never happen which is really what's frustrating.

As stated in other posts, other resorts have indoor water features but I would venture to say they are expensive to maintain. Since DVC is going into the Poly, I'll bet dollars to donuts that part of the discussion was members would yelp at the dues being high because they had a water feature to maintain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom