PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Communicore

I was in the Poly lobby this past weekend and wow, it is depressing in there. It is dark, gloomy, walls at every turn. The Cast moral is very low. Everyone there just seems down.
I agree. I spoke to the bellboy and the lady that works at the second floor store and they were not fond of the change. However the front desk CM said she is okay with the change and even said the oft-repeated line "This resort seems stuck in the 70's." Boy I'd do anything to keep it 70's.

dstrawn9889

so, all the protests and comments were for nothing.
did you really believe that protests on a blog site were going to be taken seriously? even a full on picketer protest would have been met with a Mickey-colored, Disney themed tank, Tiananmen-square style.
images

Cesar R M

did you really believe that protests on a blog site were going to be taken seriously? even a full on picketer protest would have been met with a Mickey-colored, Disney themed tank, Tiananmen-square style.
images
People can hope you know..
but its clear you do not get in the way of the wallet of a high executive.

CDavid

Indeed. Worked just as well as all the protests, petitions, and comments did for Mr. Toad, the Lights of Winter, and Mickey's House.

Sometimes its just so nice to know that the guests' opinions, preferences, and expectations... don't amount to a hill of beans to a multi-billion dollar corporation. :banghead:

Last edited:

mm121

It looks so sad with all the walls, and so dark, talk about ruining the whole experience of the resort.

as much as I'm against this change, lets just hope it doesn't drag out for 2 years.

its going to be even worse once they block off the front section,

they really should discount poly rooms while this is going on.

and the reasoning for doing it to increase capacity is false, as they aren't actually adding any real rooms for the DVC just the water villas, the plan to build a new building was abandoned

psherman42

This is so so so sad. I have a friend down here right now who's never been and when she was making reservations she asked which resorts I recommended and asked about the Polynesian. It was so depressing having to tell her I wouldn't stay there because there was construction going on. This was before they announced the new plans for the lobby so who knew how much worse it was going to get? I am so incredibly glad she and her family chose Riverside or I would feel so awful if they were at the Poly for their first visit right now. I don't have high expectations but I am really hoping they're hearing complaints/feedback that will maybe make them revise the new lobby a bit to include more water/plants/etc but I doubt it.

As for time table, hopefully it won't be too long. The Grand Floridian Villas seemed to go up pretty fast so hopefully the Poly won't take more than 6 months either. I did see a timetable wayyyy back when on twitter. I wish I had favorited the tweet.

morningstar

It's not too late. If they get the message, they can build something as good as or better what they're tearing down. Better than what they have shown in the concept art. I don't really hold out much hope for that, but there is an outside chance.

tikiman

Whats our timeline on this project? I hope its not more than 6 months.

They are trying to complete the DVC part of the construction by the end of the year. The lobby was to be completed the second week of December but that was also back when they were going to start in March. The construction out front should be complete around the same time. I was told they expected to open Trader Sam’s in February.
The largest project will be the work going on between the GCH and the beach. The work on that area will start in August and go until the end of next March. After the Nanea pool reopens with all the new stuff around it they will close the East pool and redo it along with adding a permanent bar and grill. This should be the last major project in the string of projects.

Communicore

They are trying to complete the DVC part of the construction by the end of the year. The lobby was to be completed the second week of December but that was also back when they were going to start in March. The construction out front should be complete around the same time. I was told they expected to open Trader Sam’s in February.
The largest project will be the work going on between the GCH and the beach. The work on that area will start in August and go until the end of next March. After the Nanea pool reopens with all the new stuff around it they will close the East pool and redo it along with adding a permanent bar and grill. This should be the last major project in the string of projects.
Awesome, a bar and grill, hope the food is great!

GrammieBee

Pity the person going to WDW for the first time or someone who hasn't been there for years who is expecting a great stay at the Polynesian. (I know, they could have done some research. But Disney is not exactly advertising what is really going on at the resort.) They are certainly going to have a Disney experience they will never forget.

Spike-in-Berlin

We were there last night. Walls everywhere, as reported... but more disconcerting than the walls is the eerie stillness. It's so quiet in there, without the sound of water.
:cry:

Well at least that's nothing to worry about as it will last only until the completion of the defurbishing of the former GCH to the...the...the what-ever-house (WEH). Then we will hear the sound of that tiny little wanna-be fountain which replaces the rainforest and it's waterfalls. Of course this will be not much larger than a permanently running average drinking fountain or a typical miniature waterfall for the living room if you take a look at those terrible examples of concept art for the new WEH lobby. So if there is any other noise in the WEH lobby (e.g. some guests who still pay 500+ bucks a night for this travesty) you will probably overhear it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom