PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

omurice

I would not call Top OfThe World a failure...almost every time I have been there it has been very busy... So busy they lock off the elevators to the lounge and you have to wait to be sent up.... TYhe more DVC units in a resort, the busier the lounge will be.
As long as it is not taking something away from the resort, I love the idea of a DVC special lounge in each DVC resort....let's face it, DVC if you add it up, is like staying in the most premium room at the hotel, so why not have a little perk... again, not taking away anything from the other guests, but adding something for the DVC members... Love that idea.
That's great in concept, but having stayed in DVC rooms often, it's clear these are not always the best rooms in the resorts. Which is a shame. Sometimes when it's an add-on, like Bay Lake, they are newer than the rooms in the rest of the resort. But it does not make the rooms better necessarily. Some DVC rooms wear out faster than the cash rooms, I think it's because the occupancy rate is very high, like 95% and up. Old Key West, those studios are bigger than most standard rooms on property. However, many DVC studios are SMALLER than the regular "cash" rooms on property - Wilderness Lodge is a prime example. Of course you can upgrade to the 1BR/2BR, those are bigger, can be nicer. But unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule that guarantees being in a DVC room equals the best rooms on property. Each resort and set of rooms is different, they're all on different refurb schedules, and some DVC are long overdue for hard goods refurb!

PS - I do agree some perks for DVC members like special lounge would be nice, these are really few and further between than people may think. So long as if it's off the beaten track and does not wave itself in the face of the guests, as with huge sign in the lobby that shouts "NON-MEMBERS KEEP OUT THIS MEANS YOU", like some tacky airport lounge.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I wanted to take a moment here, to thank you for always sharing your updates, and posting photos.

At least the yellow-toned (painted?) construction walls look better than what I saw there last May, when I took a look around the construction areas at the resort. Just an observation—perhaps it may have been a less busy time of day, when these photos were taken; but, I couldn't help but notice the lack of guests walking around. With all the construction going on, there did appear to be a rather "lifeless" feel to the resort. (I haven't a clue what their occupancy figures are during the renovation period.)

Beiste1

The Polynesian was the most unique of all of the Disney properties, partly due to it's lush, living tropical lobby. We would always visit because it made you feel as though you had truly arrived in the tropics of the South Pacific. It was a very calming influence in the middle of a very hectic vacation destination. It was always a dream to stay at the Polynesian, and we were fortunate enough to be able to do so twice. We were supposed to have stayed in concierge 2 years ago, but due to health problems in the family we cancelled our trip and went to visit them instead, figuring we could always have our dream concierge stay later on. Little did we know that TPTB were going to wave their "not so magical wands" and disrupt the most peaceful, laid back oasis that existed on
Disney property. RIP Disney's Polynesian Resort.:(

Spike-in-Berlin

majortom1981

The Polynesian was the most unique of all of the Disney properties, partly due to it's lush, living tropical lobby. We would always visit because it made you feel as though you had truly arrived in the tropics of the South Pacific. It was a very calming influence in the middle of a very hectic vacation destination. It was always a dream to stay at the Polynesian, and we were fortunate enough to be able to do so twice. We were supposed to have stayed in concierge 2 years ago, but due to health problems in the family we cancelled our trip and went to visit them instead, figuring we could always have our dream concierge stay later on. Little did we know that TPTB were going to wave their "not so magical wands" and disrupt the most peaceful, laid back oasis that existed on
Disney property. RIP Disney's Polynesian Resort.:(
I actually think animal kingdom lodge is the most unique. What other resort can yo utalk to people who live in afrcan villages and sit by a fire while watching giraffes walk by ? People should give animal kingdom lodge a try. ITs got a similar feel to it as the poly does with the thatched roof and everything. even has a waterfall in the lobby.

Haymarket2008

The Polynesian is my favorite resort and, while I do not agree with some of the changes they are making, the integrity will still be there. There will still be fountains and waterfalls and lush foliage everywhere. The hotel needed a face lift. While the center fountain really brought character, charm, and a legendary smell to the hotel, it was something that needed to go for structural reasons. Someone posted on here recently talking about how the people who built the thing were surprised it even lasted this long! I love the hotel with all my heart, but I am certain the spirit will remain. And from the looks of it the majority of the hotel will be left intact.

COProgressFan

The Polynesian is my favorite resort and, while I do not agree with some of the changes they are making, the integrity will still be there. There will still be fountains and waterfalls and lush foliage everywhere. The hotel needed a face lift. While the center fountain really brought character, charm, and a legendary smell to the hotel, it was something that needed to go for structural reasons. Someone posted on here recently talking about how the people who built the thing were surprised it even lasted this long! I love the hotel with all my heart, but I am certain the spirit will remain. And from the looks of it the majority of the hotel will be left intact.

While I guess I can appreciate your optimism, how are you so certain that the "integrity" and "spirit" will remain? (see the parts of your post I bolded).

We have seen countless times of cases where Disney's "new and improved" product is significantly poorer than the original -- in terms of theming, quality of materials used, and uniqueness of design -- and becomes a blander, more generic version of the what was previously there.

Sadly, from many accounts, it appears that is also what's happening at the Poly.

Figment2005

While I guess I can appreciate your optimism, how are you so certain that the "integrity" and "spirit" will remain? (see the parts of your post I bolded).

We have seen countless times of cases where Disney's "new and improved" product is significantly poorer than the original -- in terms of theming, quality of materials used, and uniqueness of design -- and becomes a blander, more generic version of the what was previously there.

Sadly, from many accounts, it appears that is also what's happening at the Poly.
Nobody can be sure of anything until the project is complete.

kkocka

Here's a question for everybody concerned about the removal of the waterfall (which I understand and agree that removing it sucks): is your love for the entire hotel dependent on the water feature? Or is there more charm throughout the entire grounds, within the restaurants, pools, hallways, exterior, etc where you'll still enjoy this location?

I was really bummed when the Disneyland Hotel removed its waterfalls outside the now-Frontier Tower (I wanted some wedding pics there), but dammit you gotta admit that the entire grounds look fantastic and overall I love the hotel tremendously because of all the renovations.

Haymarket2008

I'm definitely not certain of the changes, but from what I have seen of the released design plans and from experiencing in person what is indeed being worked on, I can say that the Polynesian we all know and love will still be there. And in response to you and what kkocka said, large portions of the lobby like the charming stairwells, the hallways, the restaurants, and all the art work appear to be staying. It is a shame that the waterfall was taken away but there is so much more to still cherish. All of the wonderful walkways will still be there, the torchlights, the main buildings and the overall design and aesthetic have been largely unchanged since 1971. I am still weary, but I remain optimistic. Because the Poly is much more invaluable to WDW property than most people realize. I'm sure that factored in to the decision to get all the work done at once.

dreamfinder

these walls must either be super temporary or disney is really cutting budgets using plastic tarps.

A far chunk of recent construction walls have been of the soft goods variety, or at least wrapped with such. Look at pretty much all the construction they have done on Main Street, wrapped with screen printed fabric. The walls over by Finding Nemo in AK, were all of the screen printed fabric variety as well. Along with a chunk of the ones put up in Asia by EE. Putting a poly themed print on the lower half shows a greater attempt at theming than the plain no-see-um green or being walls often used in bland places for work.

Slowjack

Here's a question for everybody concerned about the removal of the waterfall (which I understand and agree that removing it sucks): is your love for the entire hotel dependent on the water feature? Or is there more charm throughout the entire grounds, within the restaurants, pools, hallways, exterior, etc where you'll still enjoy this location?
I can't speak for everyone, of course, but for me, the waterfall is more symbolic of the whole problem. I think if you read through the other posts on this thread you'll see that dissatisfaction with the lobby as shown in the concept art is as much the issue as anything. The waterfall was the central element of Poly's particular style. Removal of this one element would be a lot easier for me to like if the replacement was going to evoke the same kind of style. Instead, the concept art shows a rather muted style. As I said in another post, it looks like it was designed by someone who finds tiki in bad taste, but was required to include it. Of course, there's always a chance the lobby, when built, will look much better than the concept art, but the art is all we have right now.

As for "the entire grounds," some of that is changing, too. For example, the beach where I wiled away some hours in a hammock while my daughter played in the sand isn't there right now. It will come back, I assume, but there's going to be those water villas in front of it now instead of the relaxing water view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of the charm of the place will remain. But I think it's going to be less than it was, and considering how expensive it is to stay there, at this point I think I'd be unlikely to return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom