PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Bocabear

I'm definitely not certain of the changes, but from what I have seen of the released design plans and from experiencing in person what is indeed being worked on, I can say that the Polynesian we all know and love will still be there. And in response to you and what kkocka said, large portions of the lobby like the charming stairwells, the hallways, the restaurants, and all the art work appear to be staying. It is a shame that the waterfall was taken away but there is so much more to still cherish. All of the wonderful walkways will still be there, the torchlights, the main buildings and the overall design and aesthetic have been largely unchanged since 1971. I am still weary, but I remain optimistic. Because the Poly is much more invaluable to WDW property than most people realize. I'm sure that factored in to the decision to get all the work done at once.
Ok you are an intern working for Disney, right? no one talks like that... there will still be so much to Cherish like the stairwells? Huh?

Haymarket2008

Hold on a sec...I am busy cherishing the sidewalks and bare minimum theming.....
Haha, do you have the ability to be respectful? It's an opinion. And yes, I find the stairwells in the lobby of the Polynesian to be incredibly charming and well themed. I don't see any walls around those. I believe this is a discussion board. I don't see any reason for argument.

Bocabear

Of course I can be respectful...and I do actually agree the main stairwell is beautiful... However I would never consider the stairwell to be a dominant architectural feature on that hotel...it was all "supporting cast" to the Waterfall atrium... and yes there are lots of small details that help make up the whole experience... I just thought you were sounding a little like a Disney press release. The concept art for the new lobby left nothing to be Cherished unless you are impressed with a standard Marriott lobby.

Bocabear

The torch lit pathways following the meandering stream to the pool will not be the same either... the meandering stream is being removed...no doubt the lovely "event lawn" will spectacularly evoke the exotic Polynesian islands....lol

DisneyJunkie

I still don't care for the renaming of the resort, and I'm not all that fond of this new resort entrance sign. The original name and signage had a certain charm to it that really reflected its South Pacific motif. The new name is unnecessary and the new signage lacks that charm altogether.

CJR

The sign area looks great. Hopefully they'll continue this type of work in the actual resort. I know there's a lot of negativity regarding that, but I'm hopeful that we'll all be happy with the end result.

tikiman

Well, I wasn't alive when that was the case, so......the previous name is the "original" one for me. :)

Screen-Shot-2013-07-26-at-2.52.21-PM.png

tikiman

Has work started on Trader Sam's as yet?

Trader Sam's work started back before Captain Cook's reopened but they have a long way to go before it is open. Last week they closed off the hallway in the GCH that goes past Trader Sam's from Captain Cook's so now you have to go outside the GCH to get through. They originally said February for TS to open but I was told recently it looks more like the end of next Spring.

I have some of the dates from the construction schedule on my last report and a one of the drawings for the floor plan of the new Trader Sam's.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/217-october-update

michmousefan

Trader Sam's work started back before Captain Cook's reopened but they have a long way to go before it is open. Last week they closed off the hallway in the GCH that goes past Trader Sam's from Captain Cook's so now you have to go outside the GCH to get through. They originally said February for TS to open but I was told recently it looks more like the end of next Spring.

I have some of the dates from the construction schedule on my last report and a one of the drawings for the floor plan of the new Trader Sam's.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/217-october-update
Great update... thanks, @tikiman!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom