PHOTOS - Discovery Island expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom underway

doctornick

If attendance increases due to Avatar, a parade will be a nightmare. It was already an issue with guest flow as it was. As much as I enjoyed the floats, it was just too difficult to walk around the park before, during, and after the parade.

A "parade" on the water during the day (like Mythica in Japan) would probably be the best option for a daytime spectacle for DAK.

Kman101

Definitely. We haven't heard anything about the possibility, but I really hope the changes at DHS allow for a daytime parade to be a part of the park. It could really use it.

I'd even take the simple Stars and Motorcars again (as a placeholder until something better comes along) ... LOL. Too bad Paris butchered it to death.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Dec. 1. The construction walls are removed from around the Riverside Depot building at Discovery Island. However, the building is not yet open. Note the moveable planter boxes on this side of the building, which hide the door access under the porch and Riverside Depot sign.

IMG_6927.JPG

This end of the building that faces the river.

IMG_6928.JPG

The side entrance to the tower, the store's door is inside to the right. This side faces Island Mercantile, across the plaza.

IMG_6929.JPG

The front entrance under the tower. The side entrance can be seen to the right, under the porch sign.

IMG_6932.JPG

View looking up into the tower.

IMG_6930.JPG

The front of the building showing the attachment to the existing Disney Outfitters building. The clocks on the tower show the correct time.
IMG_6934.JPG

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Photo update as of Tuesday, Dec. 1. The construction walls are removed from around the Riverside Depot building at Discovery Island. However, the building is not yet open. Note the moveable planter boxes on this side of the building, which hide the door access under the porch and Riverside Depot sign.

View attachment 121810

This end of the building faces the river.

View attachment 121811

The side entrance to the tower, the store's door is inside to the right. This side faces Island Mercantile, across the plaza.

View attachment 121812

The front entrance under the tower. The side entrance can be seen to the right, under the porch sign.

View attachment 121817
View looking up into the tower.

View attachment 121813

The front of the building showing the attachment to the existing Disney Outfitters building. The clocks on the tower show the correct time.
View attachment 121815
Great pics! Looks awesome.
Hard to believe this is the same crew that gave us Storybook Circus.

Sage of Time

Photo update as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. The 'expansion' of Disney Outfitters at Discovery Island will be a new store. The entrance is marked by a new sign "Riverside Depot." The clock hands have been installed, and yes, that is the correct time. A cast member said the store should be open the week after Thanksgiving.

View attachment 119600

View attachment 119601

On the other side of Disney Outfitters, the construction walls have been removed around a new structure. It is not an expansion of Disney Outfitters, but a new stage for the music acts that often appear in this area. Inside the store, there is no customer "entrance" into the area behind the stage, so this building must be inventory/storage.

View attachment 119602

View attachment 119603

View attachment 119604
And here, I thought the tower would be for projectors for the Tree of Life.

Still, that clock is lovely.

RSoxNo1

Again, I ask the question. Are these two separate shops? Are they connected on the inside? Is it like the shops on the right side of Sunset Boulevard?

Rteetz

Again, I ask the question. Are these two separate shops? Are they connected on the inside? Is it like the shops on the right side of Sunset Boulevard?
I don't remember where it was but I saw a CM say that they are two separate shops. I don't know if they are connected or not tho. I would imagine yes.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Jan 14. Recently, a construction wall has surrounded the existing Disney Outfitters, from the door near the new tower at Riverside Depot all the way around to the new stage area on the pathway to Dinoland USA. The only open door to the original Disney Outfitters is the one next to the tower. Inside this door, only the first room is open, which continues right through to the new Riverside Depot. To the left side of this room, the majority of Disney Outfitters is closed off. This appears to be a makeover of the Disney Outfitters interior, perhaps to match Riverside Depot décor, and perhaps a repainting of the exterior.

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

There is an opening in the construction wall at the Disney Outfitter door across from the entrance to It's Tough to be a Bug, but this door is closed, with a sign directing guests to the other side of the building.

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom