PHOTOS - Discovery Island expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom underway

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, January 26. Previously covered with a construction scrim, a new pin station has appeared on the outside wall of the Riverside Depot, with its own checkout register.

IMG_7201.JPG

IMG_7200.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, March 1. The construction walls have all been removed from around Disney Outfitters, however, this part of the building remains closed for interior refurbishment. The doors remained locked and windows covered. The building shows the new darker color scheme with new trim details. Note the new speakers on the light poles, in the center of the below photo.

IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7452.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7455.JPG

Here is the speaker and light pole for the new stage area on the back side of Disney Outfitters, across from Flame Tree Barbecue.

IMG_7457.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, March 10. There are two new lamp posts (new design) at the entrance to the Africa bridge/gates from Discovery Island. How do I know? There is newly tinted, themed concrete at the base of the lamp post.

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7521.JPG

At the back side of Discovery Island, as part of the updating around the base of the Tree of Life, a portion of the area along the river bank has been cleared. This has been noticed for several weeks now, however I only included a photo today.

IMG_7522.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, March 22. New animals added to Riverside Depot exterior walls.

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

As noted somewhere in a thread, Disney Outfitters has reopened with a redesigned interior. Gone is the central checkout area within the four columns, replaced with a checkout area along the center back wall, as seen in the World of Disney store at Disney Springs. The four columns in the center of the room are still there.

IMG_7582.JPG

New in the redesign of Disney Outfitters are woven tapestries hanging on the four walls surrounding the large center room. There are multiple, overlapping images of animals in each design. Here are three examples.

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

Cesar R M

Photo update as of Thursday, March 10. There are two new lamp posts (new design) at the entrance to the Africa bridge/gates from Discovery Island. How do I know? There is newly tinted, themed concrete at the base of the lamp post.

View attachment 133774

View attachment 133775

At the back side of Discovery Island, as part of the updating around the base of the Tree of Life, a portion of the area along the river bank has been cleared. This has been noticed for several weeks now, however I only included a photo today.

View attachment 133776
AK staff does it again, great theme! great colors!
I hope they do not leave any detail out of ROL area.

flyerjab

AK staff does it again, great theme! great colors!
I hope they do not leave any detail out of ROL area.

Agreed. One thing I have to say is at least with all of the price increases and up charges being offered, DAK is the one source of constant great news for me right now. All of the photos and videos of the changes to this park have been great. It just keeps moving in the right direction. Can't wait for Spring next year when Pandora opens.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, October 26. The Discovery Island trail around the back side of the Tree of Life has reopened. This trail can be reached from the pathway to Africa (just before the gates), or from the exit of It's Tough to be a Bug, make a left turn under the waterfall, instead of following the crowd to the right. The animals along this trail are also present again. It's quiet back there.

IMG_8527.JPG

IMG_8525.JPG

Timothy_Q

Photo update as of Wednesday, October 26. The Discovery Island trail around the back side of the Tree of Life has reopened. This trail can be reached from the pathway to Africa (just before the gates), or from the exit of It's Tough to be a Bug, make a left turn under the waterfall, instead of following the crowd to the right. The animals along this trail are also present again. It's quiet back there.

Thanks for the pics. Glad to see AK slowly emerging from construction zone chaos
Where there any changes? I don't remember how it used to be before.

jt04

View attachment 171726

View attachment 171725

Looks incredible. Imagine a Pandora version.

Rob562

View attachment 171726

View attachment 171725

Tuesday night there were still walls (and us exiting ITTBAB trying to go the short route to the Safari and had to loop around).
Figures they'd open it up right after...

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom