News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

NormC

I’m glad an anonymous internet person is here to let us all know that the colors they chose are wrong and that everything is wrong. I was close to thinking it was ok and maybe hold judgment till I see it in person, but no need for that now, as this person has informed me it’s all wrong. Saved me some thinking on my own!
You mean the anonymous person that has been here longer than you, another anonymous person?

Kman101

I don't mind it and will be happy to judge it in person and when it is actually finished. And also, the new Disneyland castle is STUNNING and beautifully done. The heat for it is pretty bonkers to me.

Personally I just don't like the so-called pink they used. The darker blue roof colors look great. And I'm ok with the gold.

It's like a salmon color. Actual pink would be better but it could look better walking down Main Street. But I think they shied away from actual pink because it probably would remind us all of the castle cake.

Some people also need to understand it's a massive change from a castle that's looked virtually the same for almost 50 years, minus a pepto bismol cake and toilet paper. Change is just hard for many.

TJJohn12

Some people also need to understand it's a massive change from a castle that's looked virtually the same for almost 50 years, minus a pepto bismol cake and toilet paper. Change is just hard for many.

I think this is the crux of the problem. We haven’t been to WDW since October 2018. We had a child last August and now we’re waiting until she’s 2 to go so she can really enjoy it. It’ll be a three year drought - as long as there’s progress on COVID and hopefully a vaccine.

I’m upset that the castle I’ll return “home” to will be so radically different - that they’re fundamentally altering one of the four major icons of the resort. This to me is what the wand was at EPCOT or the Hat at MGM for others.

Last edited:
Not that anyone asked my opinion, but I feel like all I wanted from a Cinderella Castle repaint was something like this:

View attachment 479062View attachment 479063

Really just some heightened contrast in the colors, crisper forced highlights, some shading under the eaves, and a hint of the iridescence that they seem to be aiming for. A New School treatment of the Old School color palette. Subtle, but refreshing, bringing out the character of the building with paint. I wouldn't hate on a few more gold accents being thrown on over this, that's just tricky to photoshop.

Before and After Gif to help emphasize the difference:

View attachment 479064
Those pics don’t look anything like those from another site. Bright pink over there. Maybe depends on how the sun is shining during time of day

yensidtlaw1969

Those pics don’t look anything like those from another site. Bright pink over there. Maybe depends on how the sun is shining during time of day
That's because the Before picture in my post is what the castle looked like as the repaint was just starting, and the After is my Photoshopped version of what I WISH they'd done instead of the pink they are actually doing. I thought I made that clear in the text.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's like a salmon color. Actual pink would be better but it could look better walking down Main Street. But I think they shied away from actual pink because it probably would remind us all of the castle cake.

If they went with a reddish tone, then a faux marble with orange marbling would have worked...

1593131395829.png

1593131428769.png

1593131469978.png

yensidtlaw1969

Pic from inside MK

I've been waiting to see what it looks like from inside the park, the semi-metallic nature of the pink paint is the kind of thing where seeing close up and from below is likely to look way different than it does in a long-distance shot like those from outside the park.

The natural lighting in this photo is pretty extreme, so I'm sure it will look different midday, but I'm sorry to say this picture negatively impacts my impression of the paint scheme rather than improves it.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

I’m really not feeling it.

If the colours were to be tweaked further like the concept art we would’ve seen it by now surely.
The concept art was unattainable because the pink was not a solid color, but rather a flow (like liquid) with different lightness in the color throughout. They focused more on the gold accents in the art, less on the pink. Bad decision all around. Paint it the original colors after the 50th, PLEASE!!!!

Otamin

The concept art was unattainable because the pink was not a solid color, but rather a flow (like liquid) with different lightness in the color throughout. They focused more on the gold accents in the art, less on the pink. Bad decision all around. Paint it the original colors after the 50th, PLEASE!!!!
I always assumed they’d add another layer on top to make it glisten like the art, but that’s not looking to be the case.

tirian

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but I feel like all I wanted from a Cinderella Castle repaint was something like this:

View attachment 479062View attachment 479063

Really just some heightened contrast in the colors, crisper forced highlights, some shading under the eaves, and a hint of the iridescence that they seem to be aiming for. A New School treatment of the Old School color palette. Subtle, but refreshing, bringing out the character of the building with paint. I wouldn't hate on a few more gold accents being thrown on over this, that's just tricky to photoshop.

Before and After Gif to help emphasize the difference:

View attachment 479064
I agree. When you look back at photos from WDW’s first decade, the evening lighting scheme was gorgeous, but by day the castle looked too fake by 2021 standards.

A new paint scheme should have pushed it closer to an enhanced version of Château de Chambord—the real-life inspiration that, ironically enough, now looks more fantastic and fairy-tale than the theme-park equivalent.

0892EEE1-D68F-4600-82D1-5C9625816B1F.jpeg
AF4830C9-E781-4DE4-843D-3D1FA47B9D58.jpeg
890B7C1F-640D-443D-AFE3-67FD7E9F3062.jpeg

Last edited:

tirian

I've been waiting to see what it looks like from inside the park, the semi-metallic nature of the pink paint is the kind of thing where seeing close up and from below is likely to look way different than it does in a long-distance shot like those from outside the park.

The natural lighting in this photo is pretty extreme, so I'm sure it will look different midday, but I'm sorry to say this picture negatively impacts my impression of the paint scheme rather than improves it.
But it should look good at ANY time of day. That’s part of the show.

Father Robinson

One thing I loved was when the blue floods used to start appearing on the castle when the sun started to set and would compliment the dusk sky tones. How's that going to look now, purple?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom