News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

Haymarket2008

I think a major reason for the castle being colored pink and gold is because Disney needs to find someway to create special anniversary merchandise/promotional material featuring the castle for next year. (Similar to the castle cake being prominent during the 25th Anniversary celebration)

They already gave a glimpse at early merchandise for WDW's 50th Birthday last D23.
Walt-Disney-World-50th-Anniversary-Logo-1440x807.jpg

A closer look at the logo
50th-2-800x400.jpg

Judging by these images, I'm having a feeling glitter will be a major theme for the anniversary. Similar to DL's 60th Anniversary being diamond themed.

Well, the “glitter” thing is just Gold. A Golden anniversary is a 50th anniversary and a Diamond is a 60th. That’s not a Disney specific thing.

Otamin

@TJJohn12 @brb1006

It’s most noticeable in side views.

Before Shanghai, the company chose to keep Cinderella Castle the tallest as a tribute to Walt’s last dream*. But when the Chinese government said it wanted the tallest castle, Iger agreed.

*yes, I know the city of EPCOT was his dream and he wasn’t particularly involved in the MK. Blah blah blah. That doesn’t change the reason the Imagineers made that decision.
Unless I’m mistaken, the difference in height is mainly with the rock work right?

It’s surprisingly hard being able to find detailed comparisons between the two (outside of the obvious differences in colour).

TTA94

I think a major reason for the castle being colored pink and gold is because Disney needs to find someway to create special anniversary merchandise/promotional material featuring the castle for next year. (Similar to the castle cake being prominent during the 25th Anniversary celebration)

They already gave a glimpse at early merchandise for WDW's 50th Birthday last D23.

50th-2-800x400.jpg

Judging by these images, I'm having a feeling glitter will be a major theme for the anniversary. Similar to DL's 60th Anniversary being diamond themed.

Million dollar question what impacts Covid19 has or will have on the original 50th plans. And what’s still going to happen. Not sure anyone actually knows this answer just yet, and we might not know until late this year or early 2021.

rreading

I'm going to be most interested in my impression at the end of my next trip. First impressions are often deceiving; I'm going to curious how it feels after a few days.

but fwiw, I prefer the sparkly white quartz suggestion rather than the pink as well

BigDlover

50th-2-800x400.jpg

Beyond merch I believe they just wanted to do something special for the anniversary and gold/sparkly seems very fitting and celebratory. I wouldn't be surprised if it went back to its original color palette after 1.5-2 years or so. The original is iconic and beloved.

Animaniac93-98

Magic Kingdom is built 14' above ground level because of the basement that houses the utilidoors. Maybe they mean 189 from ground level?

Last edited:

TJJohn12

Magic Kingdom is built 14' above ground level because of the basement that houses the utilidoors. Maybe they mean 189 from ground level?

Can't find an official source from Disney. The 189' measurement is from the moat's surface. I'd assume Tokyo's is the same. Comparing your photos, it looks like the majority of the extra height is in the very base in WDW. Though all the "parts" are there in both your shots, the castles look significantly different in terms of how they are positioned in relations to each other.

Animaniac93-98

Can't find an official source from Disney. The 189' measurement is from the moat's surface. I'd assume Tokyo's is the same. Comparing your photos, it looks like the majority of the extra height is in the very base in WDW. Though all the "parts" are there in both your shots, the castles look significantly different in terms of how they are positioned in relations to each other.

I can't spot that much of a difference, if any, and building a 9/10th scale replica would also shrink the usable interior space.

The hub and it's moat are absolutely different in Tokyo. The water is noticeably shallower.

TJJohn12

I can't spot that much of a difference, if any, and building a 9/10th scale replica would also shrink the usable interior space.

The hub and it's moat are absolutely different in Tokyo. The water is noticeably shallower.

Like I said, I think the moat (and the foundation of the castles just above the moat) are the key. I'm on my Chromebook, so don't have great photo editing software available. But I was able to rescale and compare your two photos. Take a look at the difference in where the waterline hits each castle's lower walls:
Tokyo Moat (1).jpg
WDW Moat.jpg
All of this is of course off topic - though your photos do show why a grey castle is better than the pink one they're installing right now. ;-)

yensidtlaw1969

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but I feel like all I wanted from a Cinderella Castle repaint was something like this:

Cinderella Castle Paint Rendering Before 1.jpg
Cinderella Castle Paint Rendering After 1.jpg

Really just some heightened contrast in the colors, crisper forced highlights, some shading under the eaves, and a hint of the iridescence that they seem to be aiming for. A New School treatment of the Old School color palette. Subtle, but refreshing, bringing out the character of the building with paint. I wouldn't hate on a few more gold accents being thrown on over this, that's just tricky to photoshop.

Before and After Gif to help emphasize the difference:

Cinderella-Castle-Paint-Rendering-After-5.gif

Last edited:

Otamin

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but I feel like all I wanted from a Cinderella Castle repaint was something like this:

View attachment 479062View attachment 479063

Really just some heightened contrast in the colors, crisper forced highlights, some shading under the eaves, and a hint of the iridescence that they seem to be aiming for. A New School treatment of the Old School color palette. Subtle, but refreshing, bringing out the character of the building with paint. I wouldn't hate on a few more gold accents being thrown on over this, that's just tricky to photoshop.

Before and After Gif to help emphasize the difference:

View attachment 479064
This would’ve been ideal.

I always preferred the extra detailing the Tokyo castle has and it would’ve been nice to see something similar.

Based on the concept art for this project I actually thought we could have got something similar (albeit with a slight shade of pink), but obviously that wasn’t the case...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom