News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the article says it’s meant to be completed by late summer. When does that usually fall? Is it likely to be done by mid September?
According to Kirk, MK's VP, it is supposed to be completed before the end of summer. Not sure exactly where that falls.

Disney's "Fall" can be as early as mid-August when Halloween parties and F&W starts.

In the travel biz, "Fall" is usually Labor Day weekend when just about all schools are back from break.

Astronomically, "Fall" is around Sept 21/22.

Financially, a new quarter (and new year) begins Oct 1. We've seen new offerings start then, likely for budgetary reasons.

So... that's some of the ways Disney's "Fall" starts. The "end of Summer" adjusts accordingly.

Indy_UK

According to Kirk, MK's VP, it is supposed to be completed before the end of summer. Not sure exactly where that falls.

fingers crossed then. I would be gutted if it’s still up on my trip but I guess everyone says that about their trip

MouseBrayden

Does anyone here have a theory as to how the castle will be painted while avoiding large amounts of scaffolding (which MK VP said they'd try to avoid)? My guess is cherry pickers and the normal sort of stuff we see for overnight castle work, but that's usually decorating the castle rather than painting it, so I'm sure there's more mechanics involved. If they have to elevate bottom-up on the sides of the castle to do work wouldn't that mean the castle moat would need to be drained? It would take a considerable amount of equipment and work to get the castle painted so quickly while keeping it "instagram worthy." 🤔

trainplane3

Does anyone here have a theory as to how the castle will be painted while avoiding large amounts of scaffolding (which MK VP said they'd try to avoid)? My guess is cherry pickers and the normal sort of stuff we see for overnight castle work, but that's usually decorating the castle rather than painting it, so I'm sure there's more mechanics involved. If they have to elevate bottom-up on the sides of the castle to do work wouldn't that mean the castle moat would need to be drained? It would take a considerable amount of equipment and work to get the castle painted so quickly while keeping it "instagram worthy." 🤔
I was actually going to make a wild guess that the crane was going to make a return and be parked behind (or in front of) the castle like around the holidays but instead to hoist a bucked up. I think there's going to be a point where the castle will look...lopsided because of the color difference. Should be pretty neat to see though.

You could most certainly get small sections done quickly using this method:
rougarou.jpg

Or on a larger scale...
DSC_3144.jpg

Luckily the castle should be easier to paint then something like this due to easier access to areas.

Credit to Baynum for their excellent pictures and great repainting of coasters and other structures around the world.

IveBeenJack

When Disney painted Sleeping Beauty Castle last year, they used a scrim. OLC is repainting Tokyo Disney’s replica Cinderella Castle, currently using a scrim.

The fact that the VP Jason Kirk has said there will be no visible construction or scrim, implies that there will be no overall painting of the castle as Disney tends to opt for a scrim if they’re doing big refurb/makeover projects involving large-scale painting.

Then considering that it’s the icon of the park and in recent years we know that Disney do not like castle photos impeded by an incomplete makeover or refurb. These photos are staples of a Disney vacation and very important in the wider social media marketing landscape. So if Disney were to opt for an overall painting of the castle, we’d probably see a scrim of some sort. Or at least that’s my logical deductions based upon the information that Disney Parks representatives have stated so far.

I am not questioning whether you saw the colour swatches for the castle. But I think it’s very likely that this project has changed greatly from Blue Sky to the official announcement. And I would just err on the side of caution when reading too much into a slight colour difference on a piece of concept art.
Obviously we’ll see small painted work achieved by cherry picker for the gold embellishments. Also the possibility of installing pre-fabricated pre-painted pieces for installation over certain areas. But I just doubt Disney will want a two-tone unfinished castle on display for months on end... then again they built that monstrosity of the GOTG gravity building in Epcot... so who knows! Lol 😂

Either way, I’m excited to see this take shape! 😄

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

I do believe the moat is currently being drained!

Squishy

They most likely will put a crane in the moat and work overnight.

MouseBrayden

When Disney painted Sleeping Beauty Castle last year, they used a scrim. OLC is repainting Tokyo Disney’s replica Cinderella Castle, currently using a scrim.

The fact that the VP Jason Kirk has said there will be no visible construction or scrim, implies that there will be no overall painting of the castle as Disney tends to opt for a scrim if they’re doing big refurb/makeover projects involving large-scale painting.

Then considering that it’s the icon of the park and in recent years we know that Disney do not like castle photos impeded by an incomplete makeover or refurb. These photos are staples of a Disney vacation and very important in the wider social media marketing landscape. So if Disney were to opt for an overall painting of the castle, we’d probably see a scrim of some sort. Or at least that’s my logical deductions based upon the information that Disney Parks representatives have stated so far.

I am not questioning whether you saw the colour swatches for the castle. But I think it’s very likely that this project has changed greatly from Blue Sky to the official announcement. And I would just err on the side of caution when reading too much into a slight colour difference on a piece of concept art.
Obviously we’ll see small painted work achieved by cherry picker for the gold embellishments. Also the possibility of installing pre-fabricated pre-painted pieces for installation over certain areas. But I just doubt Disney will want a two-tone unfinished castle on display for months on end... then again they built that monstrosity of the GOTG gravity building in Epcot... so who knows! Lol 😂

Either way, I’m excited to see this take shape! 😄

Yeah I agree it is kind of weird to say little-to-no scrim and also somehow paint the whole thing. Although with the birthday cake castle there were about 2 months on either end where it was visibly partially-painted. Assuming the pink/peach/rose gold/rose pink color is just lighting from that image which is most definitely possible, that would mean at the very least these areas are being painted:

painted-castle-areas1.jpg

Still seems like a pretty large scale painting for no scrim. Some serious lift machinery must be en route

beebes

Yeah I agree it is kind of weird to say little-to-no scrim and also somehow paint the whole thing. Although with the birthday cake castle there were about 2 months on either end where it was visibly partially-painted. Assuming the pink/peach/rose gold/rose pink color is just lighting from that image which is most definitely possible, that would mean at the very least these areas are being painted:

View attachment 451424

Still seems like a pretty large scale painting for no scrim. Some serious lift machinery must be en route

Maybe they're ready to deploy these?

IveBeenJack

View attachment 451424

I see what you mean about the the multi-stage 25th Anniversary Castle Cake paint job, but that was 24 years ago. This is a very different Disney when it comes to their castle icons. They have used a scrim in Disneyland, Tokyo and Hong Kong all in the last year to carry out large scale paint projects. That’s why I’m leaning toward the use of cherry pickers for the small gold embellishments. I agree it’s still a lot, as can be seen in your image. But definitely manageable over the course of 3 months. They could work from bottom to top with the paint work, bit by bit and eventually have it all completed. But here’s the beauty of that approach, as if they darken the bottom gold first, and work their way to the top, forced perspective painting works the same way. As was seen in Kim Irvine’s description of the process last year for Project Stardust.

Then the second factor is that some of the upper most pieces, could in fact be pre-fabricated bolt-on pieces to be installed, making the process as easy as the dream lights installation.

Anyways, those are my two cents on the castle makeover. But I don’t think it will be complete in time for Cinderella’s 70th in July... could be... but might be August. But I would also imagine they would rather have it done before Halloween events begin in August. God that’s a crazy sentence to write... HALLOWEEN IN AUGUST! 😂

Last edited:

Disney4family

I thought I saw somewhere that Disney purposely uses shades of color to counteract the heat and cold of a place - like using warm colors at Disneyland Paris since it's typically very cool there and using cool colors at WDW since it's like walking on the surface of the sun there.
I know there are many colors on Main Street USA, but I thought they kept their castle "cool" with white/pale grey and blue (except for that b'day cake).
Is there any truth to this?

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
Did anyone else notice the old castle stage railings from CinderellaBration are back.. (according to the concept art). I wonder if they’ll actually return or if they just drew the new embellishments on an old photo lol

Rteetz

Did anyone else notice the old castle stage railings from CinderellaBration are back.. (according to the concept art). I wonder if they’ll actually return or if they just drew the new embellishments on an old photo lol
I believe it is an older photo they used.

Bocabear

Disney's "Fall" can be as early as mid-August when Halloween parties and F&W starts.

In the travel biz, "Fall" is usually Labor Day weekend when just about all schools are back from break.

Astronomically, "Fall" is around Sept 21/22.

Financially, a new quarter (and new year) begins Oct 1. We've seen new offerings start then, likely for budgetary reasons.

So... that's some of the ways Disney's "Fall" starts. The "end of Summer" adjusts accordingly.
Yeah, but when opening an attraction, Disney's "Fall" can be December first... Like their "Spring" being June...lol

yensidtlaw1969

I thought I saw somewhere that Disney purposely uses shades of color to counteract the heat and cold of a place - like using warm colors at Disneyland Paris since it's typically very cool there and using cool colors at WDW since it's like walking on the surface of the sun there.
I know there are many colors on Main Street USA, but I thought they kept their castle "cool" with white/pale grey and blue (except for that b'day cake).
Is there any truth to this?
Color is a complex thing and is chosen for lots and lots of reasons . . . but I haven't heard this specific version of events cited for these structures historically.

However it is true, at least, that the colors in Paris were partly chosen to ensure that the structure looked good even against a gray sky, since the weather is not always as cooperative over there as it tends to be in Florida. This sounds like a variation on that story.

Disney Analyst

I KNEW when I took that photo someone get upset because that was after I saw the (then-locked) thread where people claiming I was "Disnerd2003." Posted it anyways, it's a cool ornament and was a great christmas gift. Ask yourseIf, if I was pretending to be someone else to bolster my credibility why would I use a year I have on my Twitter and talk about on my show ALL THE TIME?

I do regret that tweet from September about WDWMagic, that's why it's deleted and you had to dig up a screenshot of how I felt for approximately 1 hour of my entire life. I was not upset with anyone on here because people called my story a rumor, it WAS a rumor, people were claiming I maliciously made up the 50th castle story for purposes of publicity, and Disney subsequently announcing the 50th Castle now I figured I could come back.

You're going to claim I'm this account till the end of time so it's not worth arguing about. Fact is, I've never once given anyone a reason to think I talk like or behaved anything like the person you're claiming I am, your obsession needs to end, but it likely won't so again it's pointless to even debate. Keep hating me, I'll keep ripping it up with the latest info and I really don't care who corroborates it or not. As I said, if anything, anonymous text posters on forums corroborating my stories actually is more hurting than it is good, especially when it comes from someone called "Disnerd" posting photoshopped kid photos of me and constantly swearing. Hope you can move on from this man. 👍🏻

I’m sorry that you have to deal with the crazies. Disney fans have a great mix of normal humans to insanity.

I’m sure @The Mom could get down to the bottom of this and end this stupid theory. They can see that the IP address is different and a different user, most likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom