News PhotoPass at some character locations being replaced by automated cameras

GlacierGlacier

So, I had a photo taken with the automated photopass being done with the Magic Kingdom castle.

First things first, this is a different implementation of the technology being used for the character M&Gs. It has nowhere near the same complexity as that system, as it's a simple shot of a static guest.

For the experience of taking the photo itself, it was an odd but not bad one. I knew the photopass was being done, so I knew what to look for, but even then it wasn't too clear. On the east side of the turf seating area at the hub stood a photopass CM with only the tablet and scanner, no camera. No line, either, despite the busy day (I guess people didn't realize what it was). The CM told me to stand on a line, and look at one of the roofs above the restaurant. Holding for a few seconds, it was done.

So strange to be posing for no visible camera.

I got the notification that it was done almost immediately, yielding the video (hello awkwardly posing me):

It's honestly a pretty cool shot, and I was impressed.

Until I realized there was a nice lighter box around me and my immidiate surroundings.

Turns out the photo is a composite. The wide shot of the castle/hub is one they recycle, then they plop your photo right in, matching perspective. Add a little music and zoom, you've got it.

This works great as long as the daylight is the exact same.

It was not.

It's still very cool, and I'll probably do it again, but now that I've seen the glowing aura of my awkward presence, I can't help but under it.

GlacierGlacier

So, I had a photo taken with the automated photopass being done with the Magic Kingdom castle.

First things first, this is a different implementation of the technology being used for the character M&Gs. It has nowhere near the same complexity as that system, as it's a simple shot of a static guest.

For the experience of taking the photo itself, it was an odd but not bad one. I knew the photopass was being done, so I knew what to look for, but even then it wasn't too clear. On the east side of the turf seating area at the hub stood a photopass CM with only the tablet and scanner, no camera. No line, either, despite the busy day (I guess people didn't realize what it was). The CM told me to stand on a line, and look at one of the roofs above the restaurant. Holding for a few seconds, it was done.

I got the notification that it was done almost immediately, yielding the video (hello awkwardly posing me):

Until I realized there was a nice lighter box around me and my immidiate surroundings.

Turns out the photo is a composite. The wide shot of the castle/hub is one they recycle, then they plop your photo right in, matching perspective. Add a little music and zoom, you've got it.

It was not.

It's still very cool, and I'll probably do it again, but now that I've seen the glowing aura of my awkward presence, I can't help but under it.

On second thought, the castle shot may not be a previous photo. The system could be just using two cameras, one for the high-resolution detail of me, myself, and I, and another for the wide view.

On the roof I was pointed towards sat three cameras - one pointed at the castle, plus two more I couldn't quite make out. It could be the difference in cameras themselves that provide the unfortunate difference in lighting.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
On second thought, the castle shot may not be a previous photo. The system could be just using two cameras, one for the high-resolution detail of me, myself, and I, and another for the wide view.

On the roof I was pointed towards sat three cameras - one pointed at the castle, plus two more I couldn't quite make out. It could be the difference in cameras themselves that provide the unfortunate difference in lighting.
The trick would be to compare the crowds that were actually there with you to the crowds in the photo. Do they match up? Or were there more people than the photo shows?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

Other examples of this Photopass photo support what you’re saying. The shadows match in the same photo; the weather conditions and crowds vary between examples. The contrast seems to be slightly increased around the subjects, and the pavement around them looks a bit washed out.

Lensman

If I want computer generated graphics I'll go to a movie.
For my WDW photos I want the real thing.:mad:
This brings up a good question. Is it the real thing? I say: "Yes", assuming that the pictures were taking simultaneously and then just composited together. The reason for using the two focal length lenses is to get the detail/resolution necessary for the zoomed-in still. Admittedly, they could do a better job at the compositing because it's currently noticeable.

If they improved the compositing, would you change your mind?

What if they did a real zoom shot instead? Using video capture of a real zoom lens going from telephoto to wide-angle and then back again?

Thinking about it, would the effect be better if they started with a pure wide angle shot and then only did the compositing once they started the zooming effect?

I think it would be really neat if they could achieve a real dolly zoom instead? Maybe they'll do this at the Haunted Mansion.

One small thing: It would be more natural if they could figure out how to do a real dolly shot instead, but they'd have to figure out a way to move the camera in that case, like @Thelazer mentioned. An alternative to a drone would be to use a wire guided camera like they do at football games.

Considering that most cameras out there are basically baby computers with imaging arrays, what "real thing" are you getting with digital photos?
Maybe @DisAl is referring to the original theory that the wide shot was a stock photo and not the latest thinking that it was a composite.

Creathir

It really can't be a stock photo with one's shadow going one way and everyone else's going the other. Or bright day v. rainy day.
Also, inevitably there will be people walking in the area behind the subject, which during composite with a static image, would be problematic.

This is a clever use of technology for sure, though there likely needs to be some attention paid to the exposure/HDR synchronization between the cameras.

Lensman

Also, inevitably there will be people walking in the area behind the subject, which during composite with a static image, would be problematic.

This is a clever use of technology for sure, though there likely needs to be some attention paid to the exposure/HDR synchronization between the cameras.
With newer smartphones sporting multiple lenses, I suspect that the software to utilize and combine simultaneous photos taken by these smartphones to advance rapidly.

One thing an article I read mentioned is to be able to use the focus information available from the telephoto lens to artificially blur foreground and background elements in the wide angle shot. This should enable them to automatically create a photo with the cute miniaturization effect that you've probably seen.

Creathir

With newer smartphones sporting multiple lenses, I suspect that the software to utilize and combine simultaneous photos taken by these smartphones to advance rapidly.

One thing an article I read mentioned is to be able to use the focus information available from the telephoto lens to artificially blur foreground and background elements in the wide angle shot. This should enable them to automatically create a photo with the cute miniaturization effect that you've probably seen.
Yup!
The capabilities of cameras these days is truly remarkable.

SirWillow

It is multiple cameras at work, not stock photographry/ video. it's all controlled by that tablet that the "photographer" is using, then stitched together. It's actually a third party working with Photopass to make it work and is in testing for now. We'll see if they continue it long run, and if so if Disney contracts/ leases it, or outright buys it. As far as I know it's just a short term thing right now.

But it is very cool to see. I'm not sure how much staying power it will have though. Neat to see and look at once, but it's not something that I see many people displaying.

Still a stupid idea. No automated system will ever be able to get the response from children that a talented photographer can.

I am absolutely, totally, 100% in complete agreement with you. Their only purpose is to cut labor costs, and if they cut image quality in doing so, so what. People are already buying the Memory Maker inclusive of all photos, so why do they care if they turn half those photos to junk as long as they are making the same money and saving labor. Only way they'll likely ditch the boxes is if people quit buying all the photos.

I strongly dislike the boxes, hate the quality, and hate that it's costing cast members hours and pay.

ImperfectPixie

I'm very much a newbie to photography, but that's called shift-tilt, and I adore it.

Lensman

I'm very much a newbie to photography, but that's called shift-tilt, and I adore it.
That's right! Tilt-shift! Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about how modern image processing software let's you do tilt-shift miniaturization purely in the digital darkroom. So you could turn regular high angle shots into miniatures.

@GlacierGlacier's shot didn't come out that great due to composition issues as well as limited skill and time. :)

ImperfectPixie

That's right! Tilt-shift! Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about how modern image processing software let's you do tilt-shift miniaturization purely in the digital darkroom. So you could turn regular high angle shots into miniatures.

@GlacierGlacier's shot didn't come out that great due to composition issues as well as limited skill and time. :)

View attachment 378794
HA! Got the words backwards...told you I was a newbie! :hilarious: Seriously though...I've been having a blast comparing what results I can get from a semi-old digital point-and-shoot, my iPhone 8, and now my DSLR. It's kind of funny...I'm learning everything backwards as I started learning digital photo retouching in 1994 and am just now getting into the camera end of it.

JustAFan

It was not.

That is a pretty cool shot, different than most others you get. I would be more impressed if they could 'photoshop' me into a realistic looking scene where there are no other people in front of the castle. That would be pretty cool.

Jedi Stitch

So tell me how did everyone's photo booth pictures turn out in the good ol days. Some ride photos were not that impressive. So now the Character has to start herding the people into a frame zone and say look at the wall with the camera. I am very skeptical about this.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That is a pretty cool shot, different than most others you get. I would be more impressed if they could 'photoshop' me into a realistic looking scene where there are no other people in front of the castle. That would be pretty cool.
It's called green screen. And we all know that the current Disney CEO is very familiar with that concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom