Phone Booths Disconnected?

DizneyPryncess

Aw, I hope they reconnect them - this was fun for us this past November. I love seeing little kids faces when they're in the phone booth, and they yell "It's riiinging!!" with such excitement.

PhotoDave219

A favorite fun thing for our families was to call the phone booths in Epcot's UK in between our trips. Over the weekend, we tried to place a call and it seems as if the numbers have been disconnected. Can anybody confirm this and maybe a reason why? (I can guess some reasons, but was looking for confirmation). Sure was a fun way to extend the magic! Sad to see it go if it is a permanent thing...

I was there today and I can confirm that the phones inside the booths are now non-operational.

Why? Well, we wanted a drink and went to the pub, just stuck our heads inside the booths. Thats why. :D

draybook

I wasn't aware that the U.K. "invented" the English language.

That being said, I've never fielded a call at any of these booths, I've called them though. I thought it was a pretty cool idea that you might be able to talk to some random stranger in WDW and ask them what was going on at Epcot at that particular time.

AlishaMisha

I saw a user mention they have tried for over a month with no luck. I had luck as recent as a couple weeks ago. It worked a month ago too. I will be at Epcot tomorrow, so I will see what I can find out.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I wasn't aware that the U.K. "invented" the English language.

That being said, I've never fielded a call at any of these booths, I've called them though. I thought it was a pretty cool idea that you might be able to talk to some random stranger in WDW and ask them what was going on at Epcot at that particular time.
And i thought english was an offshoot of the germanic language !!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
And i thought english was an offshoot of the germanic language !!!

Not just Ingvaeonic Plattdüütsch, but lots of loaner words from Latin and other cultures that were encountered. Its done a good job to bridge lots of cultures and concepts from around the world just because its an open evolving framework.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Google search 'Phone Box' and you'll find a higher number of results. They are known as Red Phone Boxes around the whole world. British design, British icon, British history. Saying, 'well here in North America...' if pretty insular and arrogant.

Your argument about language is irrelevant. The subject is about the UK phone boxes and therefore Canada has very little to do with my comment. You wouldn't say you wanted 'fish and fries' when visiting the UK pavillion, would you?
If that's what I wanted to eat I would phone it in from a phone booth: "One order of fish and fries to go please."

AlishaMisha

Well, I asked around today and no one in the UK knew. They all said to each other "oh, huh...come to think of it I haven't heard them ring lately". I tried to ask Guest Services on my way out of the park, but I went out the International Gateway exit and they were closed. So, I went to a concierge at the Yacht Club. After what felt like a lifetime trying to get the Epcot Guest Services number, she just gave me the operator number to have them connect me to the right number. I swear I talked to around 10 people after that. Some thought they knew who could answer it, then that person would transfer me to another who they thought could answer...in the end, I have no idea who I was last on the phone with, but they couldn't get an answer as the person they were going to ask was not answering. So, they said that they will let "them" (whom ever that may be) know that there is a problem with the phones.

Hopefully my long exhausted efforts were not wasted.

Timekeeper

I heard that they are haunted. :eek:

epcot-after-hours-england--large-msg-114758892396-2.jpg

bcoachable

Original Poster
Well, I asked around today and no one in the UK knew. They all said to each other "oh, huh...come to think of it I haven't heard them ring lately". I tried to ask Guest Services on my way out of the park, but I went out the International Gateway exit and they were closed. So, I went to a concierge at the Yacht Club. After what felt like a lifetime trying to get the Epcot Guest Services number, she just gave me the operator number to have them connect me to the right number. I swear I talked to around 10 people after that. Some thought they knew who could answer it, then that person would transfer me to another who they thought could answer...in the end, I have no idea who I was last on the phone with, but they couldn't get an answer as the person they were going to ask was not answering. So, they said that they will let "them" (whom ever that may be) know that there is a problem with the phones.

Hopefully my long exhausted efforts were not wasted.

Thanks so much for your efforts... I never even thought that they just might be out of order... lol
Maybe its just a matter of something got unplugged!!

HDS

Can you just imagine what it would be like if a Tardis is put in the UK pavilion? The lines for photos would crazy!

Rose&Crowner

Last trip I stood at the bar with the wife and called across the street. The little dude whom I watched answer the phone was quick to remind me that I was reaching "Epcot Center at Walt Disney World" when I told him to ask his mother to enter the Rose & Crown across the street and buy the devilishly handsome man wearing a Slusho T-shirt a Jameson.

Comedy ensued when I walked past them smiling on the way to the loo after they never showed.

Carlos Cobol

What ive heard is that someone was doing crank calls to the numbers and someone complained about it. So I think they removed the option to dial in.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I hope Disney fixes it.

One of my favorite things to do is see the kids face when her mom and grandmother call in to the "magic booths" while we are on our trip.

It's a little touch that adds something special to the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom