Petition To Save Spaceship Earth

General Grizz

wannab@dis said:
I'm not sure that I agree with the quality being cut back. Surely you understand that not everyone LOVED WoM, but really enjoy Test Track. Not everyone loved Horizons, but enjoys M:S. I'm not going to say where I'm at, but I will say this, I pass up TT many times because I don't think the wait is worth it. Now, there are huge number of guests out there that rode WoM once and had "blah.. not my thing" but then they ride TT several times every trip. The opposite is also true.

Now, my point in all of that is this... there has to be a balance. I personally feel that Epcot is now getting a balance.
But wouldn't this balance also involve the keeping of Spaceship Earth (as it's the last AA ride-through)?

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
But wouldn't this balance also involve the keeping of Spaceship Earth (as it's the last AA ride-through)?
Universe of energy?

I see where you are coming from, but I have a feeling that even with a redesign of SSE, they would still use the omnimover format which lends itself to AA usage.

degrassi26

Neeraja Gollapudi

It is the job of the legions of Disney fans to save this beloved symbol of all that is Disney. Without us, SSE will end up as another one of Epcot's many forgotten attractions.

CubbieMan

I don't see the gutting of spaceship Earth happening...it is a classic in which people still talk about "riding in the huge golfball"...I believe not even Eisner is idiotic enough to get rid of this classic ride...I would not be surprised if hey took some time to refurb...but I have my doubts if they will demolish the timeless feel of the ride...nonetheless...just in case....

Shawn Peterson

GoofMaul

I love SSE and don't think it is wise to change it as most people still like it. I would like to see it get a major rehab and maybe an update of the same concept just with new AA and scenes depicting newer communication technology. I think the ride system is in the most need of rehab as it is getting pretty noisy.

Tails45

PhotoDave219 said:
Um, would any of you 'Do-Gooders' out here like to explain to me how the structural engineering of the ominmover track (that supports the exterior of Spaceship Earth - look at the construction photos) can be removed without the ball struturally failing? That notwithstanding, anyone care to tackle the financial difficulties of engineering such a task without the financial backing of a sponsor?

Do you really think that SSE will change? Even Grizz is convinced that its not going to change. Just because the Sentinal prints a 2 inch blurb about a trademark of time racers being registered over a year ago (Coincidently reported on this site way over a year ago), doesnt mean the sky is falling folks. Jeeeez.....

Everytime this issue seems dead, it rises from the ashes. :hurl:
I agree, the sctructure of the building is too complicated for it to be changed. Disney could alter some parts of the ride like they did in the past, but they can't completely remove the ride and place in a new one.

Brian_B

I've come to understand that SSE (for the time being) is safe, because any other type of ride would compromise the structural integrity of disney's most photographed monument. Last time I was there (March 04) I asked as many CMs as I could and they all unanimously declared that SSE should be good for at least another 5 years. There is no need to worry quite yet.

That said, I've been doing heavy thinking on the subject of Epcot Center recently. I've decided that although it's sad and depressing, the best thing to do is to let go and accept change. The memory of Epcot Center will live on in us all, and therefore it's something special that we share, a love of a place WE knew. Millions of first timers come to Epcot yearly, and will never know of Epcot Center...it is ours.

Don't let the memory die. But try not to get caught up in the past - it makes it tough to enjoy the now. Epcot as it stands now is still a pretty cool place. I'm tired of going there and spending all of my inward thinking on pointless lamentation. I want to enjoy the enjoyable. If nothing ever progressed we'd still be using wax candles as a primary light source.

-Brian

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Brian_B said:
I've come to understand that SSE (for the time being) is safe, because any other type of ride would compromise the structural integrity of disney's most photographed monument. Last time I was there (March 04) I asked as many CMs as I could and they all unanimously declared that SSE should be good for at least another 5 years. There is no need to worry quite yet.

That said, I've been doing heavy thinking on the subject of Epcot Center recently. I've decided that although it's sad and depressing, the best thing to do is to let go and accept change. The memory of Epcot Center will live on in us all, and therefore it's something special that we share, a love of a place WE knew. Millions of first timers come to Epcot yearly, and will never know of Epcot Center...it is ours.

Don't let the memory die. But try not to get caught up in the past - it makes it tough to enjoy the now. Epcot as it stands now is still a pretty cool place. I'm tired of going there and spending all of my inward thinking on pointless lamentation. I want to enjoy the enjoyable. If nothing ever progressed we'd still be using wax candles as a primary light source.

-Brian

The problem that I think many have is that "progress" in management's eyes is no AA's, more, cheaper thrill rides, and less of an experience than the old. "Fool them into thinking they are having a good time." I would love to see SSE updated - new AA's, upgrade or renovate the omni-mover, and a better show ending (the current one has never done much for me).

poohbear6103

Spaceship Earth. Say it isn't so!!

I already gave my name, but here are more names:
Leslie Pedrera (mine)
Christopher Young
Carol Young
Richard Young
Steven Young

Michael72688

HauntedPirate said:
The problem that I think many have is that "progress" in management's eyes is no AA's, more, cheaper thrill rides, and less of an experience than the old. "Fool them into thinking they are having a good time." I would love to see SSE updated - new AA's, upgrade or renovate the omni-mover, and a better show ending (the current one has never done much for me).

"cheap thrills" draw people, I dont know one person that flies hundreds of miles to go on SSE. By the way, I dont know of one cheap thrill in anyone of the big Orlando theme parks

testtracker

Michael72688 said:
"cheap thrills" draw people, I dont know one person that flies hundreds of miles to go on SSE. By the way, I dont know of one cheap thrill in anyone of the big Orlando theme parks

Primeval Whirl??? Not exactly huge thrills but before the Chester And Hester junk was built there was no reason to go to dinoland. Now everybody's walking away with chester and hester toys.

Dayma

General Grizz said:
I, for one, would love an entire gutting of SE to redo the track system and bring about the latest in technology with the use of advanced Animatronics and the same attention to detail. But, based on every evidence we have from the management's track record, it's sad to say that we can't logically see this happening.
I can see this but just not another darn thrill ride. I would like to be able to take my child on this one :)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Michael72688 said:

What will continue to draw people back to WDW - Mission: Space, or POTR? The point I was trying to make is that thrill rides aren't going to draw people back in 5-10 years - they get tired of them, unless the ride is unbeliveably good. Disney has a reputation, a history, of creating rides that stand the test of time. Unfortunately, they don't pass the test of current management.

Cynderella

I pray they dont change SSE. I love it just the way it is. I even think the AA's are fine too. I guess thats just me though. Im not a big fan of change. I like things as they are. Im getting sick of Disney thinking they always hafta change things. Some things are better left the way they are. ( though It's a Small World DEFINETLY needed to be updated! :D )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom