Peter Pan's Flight WDW vs the rest of the world.

DisneyparkFreak

Original Poster
My son and I were watching some Youtube clips on Disney attractions world wide and noticed that aside from the queue in Florida, the ride itself seems that its desperately in need of some modernization and upgrades. Does anyone know if this is even on the radar? The ride continues to be a crowd favorite with 40+ minute waits.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this...

ElreTigo

My son and I were watching some Youtube clips on Disney attractions world wide and noticed that aside from the queue in Florida, the ride itself seems that its desperately in need of some modernization and upgrades. Does anyone know if this is even on the radar? The ride continues to be a crowd favorite with 40+ minute waits.

I personally think it does a great job telling the story & creating the atmosphere without needing any more than what it already has. The fact that it is still a crowd favorite in 2017 proves something is alright with it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

You're absolutely right.

Cmdr_Crimson

The thing that bugs me about that ride is the voices.
When I hear Captain Hook yell "help me mr. Smee help me." It sounds so bad. I thought they might have re-recorded some audio with Corey Burton for Hook but, that voice lacks that character in the ride..

JIMINYCR

The new queue is fun and it does take away most of the boredom of the long lines. Although the ride could use an update, the simple old style Disney type attraction still works. It isn't necessary to trash it and refurb it to become more modern, flashy, exciting to make it a guest pleaser. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.

yensidtlaw1969

Much though I love the ride in its current iteration, I do believe it could benefit successfully from an update . . . but I would hope personally that they stay far away from what they did in Tokyo! What they did there drained the ride of a considerable amount of charm -- now Walt Disney World's version is the only one remaining with a real, dedicated, fly-through Neverland room.

Disneyland and Paris have fared better in their updates, but really any work at WDW should be focused on bringing their current attraction up to speed in terms of paint, animation, and ride system maintenance, with room for some minor new effects sprinkled in.

It needs a great, Haunted Mansion-style Refurb, but not a Re-design.

MerlinTheGoat

Florida's flight over London scene is still quite well executed. It could definitely do with some updates to paint, lighting and minor effects, but design wise it is still conceptually sound. The forced perspective effects in this scene used to simulate a gradual increase in altitude are still probably the best out of all the Pan rides around the world, particularly the use of more 3-dimensional buildings compared to California or Paris.

What they did to Tokyo's version is probably similar to what we could expect for a major overhaul in Orlando, given that both were identical rides originally and it would probably be easy to replicate the same changes. The layouts for CA and Paris are quite different, and Shanghai is a totally different layout and ride system.

I like parts of what they did a lot, and others i'm not so on board with. Again the refreshed paint and new effects are very welcome, but they kind of ruined the design of Tokyo's London scene a bit. They made a lot of the previously 3D buildings just a flat surface instead, rearranging some of the remaining buildings, and it negatively affected the forced perspective. The new Neverland model is also off. Again lovely new lighting and digital mapping effects (especially the star curtains on the walls which are desperately needed in Orlando), but there is something completely wrong and poorly designed about the shape and design (refer to California and Paris for comparison). The new Lost Boys, Mermaids and Indians are all very nicely designed visually, but they are too close together and the pacing is crammed. I am far from being a huge fan of the Neverland Island scenes in Orlando's either, but I would like to see some improvement to the shape and pacing of some of these scenes if brought over to Florida.

The scenes from Skull Rock onward are all fine, they really didn't change much. Just with some new lighting and digital effects. They could have actually gone a little further with some new effects here, as well as some better animatronics.

I still think Paris might be my favorite version still. Orlando still has the best forced perspective for London, but otherwise Paris edges out slightly over the others. Paris' fiber optic pixie dust effect on the Pirate ship near the end is still second to none IMO and looks amazing. I like the soundtrack in California and Paris better than Orlando or Tokyo too.

Shanghai looks fantastic as well, bit different but quite cool. My only real gripes are not adhering as much to the film's soundtrack (needs more You Can Fly) and the absence of the minor character scenes such as the Lost Boys, Mermaids and Indians. There aren't as many physical figures as a whole (though what is there is well done), more heavy on scenery and projections. Beautiful nonetheless.

Last edited:

brb1006

The thing that bugs me about that ride is the voices.
When I hear Captain Hook yell "help me mr. Smee help me." It sounds so bad. I thought they might have re-recorded some audio with Corey Burton for Hook but, that voice lacks that character in the ride..
I wish they used the Corey Burton voice that is currently at Disneyland.

brb1006

The new queue is fun and it does take away most of the boredom of the long lines. Although the ride could use an update, the simple old style Disney type attraction still works. It isn't necessary to trash it and refurb it to become more modern, flashy, exciting to make it a guest pleaser. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.
And change Hook's voice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom